- - - - -

Do I need to give up

14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   2wheelcruzer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 18-January 12

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

Completely new, been on guitar for about 3 weeks now. Cheap electric from Sears. Going to take it for a setup. I seen progress and was encouraged. Saying to my self "Hey I can do this in TIME' I can play some chords D&E cleanly. "A" is somewhat diffcult "C" even a little more(stretch).My concern is muting strings. As stated I can lay fingers for D&E cleanly but when it comes to others i mute strings. I get them cleanly if I work(slowly)and detrimne why they are muted. I have to be very precise on finger placement. There seems to be no room for error or room period between strings for example D string A and G gives problems. Should I just continue on finger independence and streach,or could it be I just have too large finger tips,or is it the insrument. The first fret neck width is 1 3\4 inches wide. Dont tell me it could be fingers LOL. This is sort of a bucket list and I am going to give it my best. At least I can say I did try. Also I do pratice 20 min 2 times a day in the evening.

#2 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:11 PM

G'day 2Wheel, Welcome to our community.

Your heading asks "Do I need to give up?" The answer is "Of course you do, if you don't want to learn to play!"
If you're serious, then hang in there and become one of the millions who have endless fun with guitar.
There's much advice here about how best to go about learning, all based on the experiences of individual members. My experience may quite well be different from most, but here's a few things I found.
The classical is easy to play because there's more space between the strings, great for fat fingered beginners like me.
The electric, like you have, is easy to play because it's not so cumbersome and the neck is smaller and easier to grab.
It doesn't matter what you learn on, the skills are all transferable to other guitars.
Maintain your motivation by learning easy things as well as the challenging ones. Don't get bound up by difficult "F" chords or barre chords. They're part of the deal but if you keep nibbling away at them they'll come good in time.
Don't waste time learning dozens of chords or scales. Learn just enough to play the music you want, then expand your learning as demanded by new projects. Most folk who learn twenty chords seem to forget fifteen of them because they don't need them yet.
It's not a race, and you'll never be judged, so learn in a way that maintains the fun component as a high priority. For my part, I've been learning for about seven years and still can't play for nuts. But I've had seven years of fun that can never be taken away from me.
Keep trying, and keep in touch.
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

#3 OFFLINE   mattz196

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,534 posts
  • Joined 31-July 06

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

No you dont need to give up , it will come, takes time and practice and then more practice , in time your your fingers will seem thinner the gaps between the strings bigger and you'll start to look like Brad Pitt (well maybe not the last bit)

Keep at it, 3 weeks is but a blink .
What's Rangoon to you is Grafton to me

#4 OFFLINE   2wheelcruzer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 18-January 12

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:30 PM

:yes: Thanks guys. Karcey 7 years huh well I am 3 weeks in my journey and enjoyed it so far as I said "Hey I can do this in TIME" not looking to be a rock star just something to enjoy. matzz196 so I just need to give the guiter lots of love and time and it will grow on me (pun intended.... hence bigger gaps between strings :clap: ) Again thanks for the encouragement.

#5 OFFLINE   GeoNjules

• Active Members
  • 269 posts
  • Joined 27-October 06

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:30 PM

This says it all.....

http://www.vacayvita...r-give-up_2.jpg
" I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken"

#6 OFFLINE   cormdog

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 27-November 11

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:46 PM

glad to have seen your post today 2wheel...I am in exactly the same boat as you and your comments ring true for me too.
I started a couple of months ago and was excited to be putting a few chords together and looked forward to practice every day.
The last few weeks have been more frustrating...like I hit a wall and was even slipping a bit, especially with the muting strings and clumsy fat fingers...driving me crazy.
Its nice to know its not just me...and its also good to get some encouragement from guys like karcey and mattz...your post was well timed for me.
thx

#7 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,021 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:50 PM

Think of it this way. PLay whatever you can. Take small steps in getting to play what you'd like. In time you will hear the improvement.
Every now and then try something a little more challenging but don't get disappointed if you fail. Just improve what you know and you will move up as your fingers and finger memory become more acute.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#8 OFFLINE   6string

• Active Members
  • 4,049 posts
  • Joined 31-July 04

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:45 AM

View Postmattz196, on 18 January 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

you'll start to look like Brad Pitt

Finally, the reason girls go for guys with guitars = solved.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you’ve heard this bull before.

#9 OFFLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,382 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:04 AM

2wheelcruzer,

You're going through what everone who has ever wanted to learn guitar goes through. Take your time and before long it will come together for you. Hang in there and you will do fine.

Mike

#10 ONLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,877 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

Agree with everyone else, keep going we all learn at different rates keep practicing and things will workout for you.
You don't stop laughing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop laughing.

#11 OFFLINE   RolandC

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • Joined 04-November 11

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

View Post2wheelcruzer, on 18 January 2012 - 08:23 PM, said:

Completely new, been on guitar for about 3 weeks now.

Welcome to the wonderful world of guitar!

I seen progress and was encouraged.

Good for you! Oftentimes we beat ourselves up for our perceived failings without giving ourselves credit for the progress that we have made. For sure, doing that will put you in a bad mental place. Remember, it's not a race. The only person you need to make happy is you.

I get them cleanly if I work(slowly)and detrimne why they are muted.

Then this is what you need to do until you can play it cleanly. Precision is far more important than speed. Speed will come with consistent and directed practice, but as my old fencing coach was fond of saying, "Practice does NOT make perfect; it makes permanent." If you practice it sloppily for the sake of speed, you are setting yourself a trap from which it will be difficult to escape. It is of utmost importance--particularly at this stage--that you aim for precision.

I have to be very precise on finger placement.

As do all accomplished guitarists...

There seems to be no room for error or room period between strings

There is very little room for error, which is why you should focus first on precision.

Should I just continue on finger independence and streach

Absolutely.

,or could it be I just have too large finger tips,or is it the insrument.

B.B. King has big fat fingers and he seems to play ok :shifty:. And as long as your instrument is set up properly and stays in tune for a reasonable amount of time it shouldn't be a problem.

IMHO, the worst thing you can do is have unrealistic expectations of yourself. Doing so just sets you up for frustration. Consistent and directed practice will get you where you want to go. Remember, guitar is incremental. You are starting with zero skills. It will take time for you to master the first simple skills, but as you do you will find eventually that it becomes easier to acquire new skills. And then the fun grows exponentially.

I would recommend setting small, realistic goals for yourself. If you set a goal of "next week I want to play 'Cocaine' as well as Eric Clapton," then you are setting yourself up for failure because you have set an impossible goal. Heck, if you said "in six months I want to play 'Cocaine' as well as Eric Clapton" you have still set an impossible goal. On the other hand, if you set a goal of "next week I want to play two or three open chords cleanly" then you have a much higher probability of success.

And nothing will encourage you like success

Remember, a baby cannot learn to speak in three weeks, but eventually it does because it never stops trying.

Likewise, a baby cannot learn to walk in three weeks, but eventually it does because it never stops trying.

And a "baby" guitarist cannot learn to play in three weeks, but eventually you will if you stick with it.

All the above is JMHO
With apologies to the Bard:

"The fault lies not in our [guitars] Horatio, but in ourselves."

#12 OFFLINE   2wheelcruzer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 18-January 12

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:28 PM

Gosh seems like I have stumbled onto a great forumn I expected one reply maybe two at most. And on top of that great replys not belittling or anything of the sort. Just as my guitar has found a home in my lap I think I found a new place for my journey. Thanks to all :wow:

#13 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

I just want to agree with rolandc about not playing a chord sloppy.I struggle changing at speed from an open chord to say an f barre chord.I do it slowly and get it to sound good.
Ok it spoils the song im playing cos of a pregnant pause while i am changing the chord.
I am 10 times faster now than a month ago but still not quite up to full speed yet.

At your stage dont worry about speed just keep practicing getting the chords your learning sounding good and then practice changing them over and over again getting faster and faster.I nearly always mute strings on new chords im learning.Just takes a little time to train your fingers to hold it correctly.

#14 OFFLINE   nbwriter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 20-January 12

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

Hi Guys,

For 2wheel:

I noticed you mentioned "electric" from Sears. Later, you wonder if your fingertips are "too large". Electric guitars have smaller necks than (many) acoustics. Electrics are also fitted with unforgiving steel strings and have a faster "action". (That means the strings are closer to the fretboard).

I would consider trading in your Sears Electric for a dirt cheap nylon-string acoustic. (Yeah, I know everyone wants to be the next Hendrix and you will be one day, brother). But, right now give yourself a break. Think of your nylon-string acoustic as a "practice axe". You can thrash it, learn many a 3-chord song, have hours of fun without worrying that a scratch will devalue your instrument by $500 Posted Image

The A chord comes... When you press hard. G will come when you get your "arch" going. You need strong hands to play guitar and you'll get the "calluses" whether you play nylon or steel. Took me two years before I conquered open B7 - But the sense of achievement !

Play songs you enjoy... That's the reason you bought the axe, right?

Kind Regards, NB

#15 OFFLINE   Alvomania

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 29-January 12

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:25 PM

are u kidding me? 3 weeks is nothing... just keep playing and you'll be on the right track! :)

here is a tutorial the is pretty hard but once u get it right everything else will feel a bit easier: :)

good luck mate :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users