Father Goose

Another question on Reaper DAW

Hi there

I've used a MIDI drum track in one of my recordings using REAPER. No problems hearing ALL (mp3, WAV...) during playback before the final mix. But when I render them, the drums tracks cant be heard at all.

I've also tried converting the MIDI drum track to WAV/mp3 etc using a sound file converter separately but it didn't work and its just silence. Other MIDI files can be converted using the same program so this isn't the problem.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks!

OldG    3

Hmm, puzzled by this - midi tracks in Reaper should render just like audio... I take it you have the midi drum pattern entered along the track like this:01.png

Ok ,let's try converting the midi file to wav within Reaper... select the midi track then go to: track > render/freeze track > render track to mono stem track (and mute original). THis will mute the midi and place a WAV on a track next to it.

See how you get on with that - also, It would help to know which drum Vsti you are using.

OldG    3

A midi file is only information for a Vsti or midi player to use to make sound - without a Vsti added to the track fx it will be silent. I'm not quite understanding how are you using the drum file in Reaper and getting sound on playback without assigning a drum Vsti beforehand....Would you describe how you are using the file in Reaper?

Heres how it looks like after rendering/converting. Hope the pic helps.

untitled.jpg

I dwnloded the MIDI drum track from the web and just slap it on to reaper.

I then Record the rest (gtrs, bass...) on additional tracks and render them into MP3 after mixing.

This method has always worked except for this particular MIDI drum track for this project.

Hmmm... maybe the MIDI file is an 'old' or a 'protected' file. And it cannot be edited with newer software?

OldG    3

Ok, I think I found a workaround way of getting this done... If you can hear the midi file playing - add another track to record to and arm - then go to : file > save live output to disc (bounce) -press record and the midi track wili record itself to the new track as a WAV.