CanuckTodd

How do you find drum backing tracks?

Hello helpful forum folk,

Probably seems like a dumb question, but does someone have a recommendation for a website, or software you can buy that you can use to add drum tracks to your recordings? I use Audacity on a Mac.

I listen to lots of the great tracks posted in the forum and many have nice drum beats. I'd rather not have to go buy a kit and learn how to play drums!

Cheers,

CanuckTodd

:helpsmili

Try Band-in-a-box for generating MIDI drum tracks. It also can create backing with bass and piano, etc, but I tend to use it just for the drums tracks. It doesn't in itself have any sounds. You need some MIDI sound module, but that can just be the MIDI sounds on a soundblaster card or clone. The MIDI drums it generates sound pretty darn good as is, but I do tend to edit them quite a bit to customize them for each tune.

There are some forums that you could use as well that have member created backing tracks (such as this one). That is if you didn't want to take the time to create your own. Some of them are quite elaborate.

This is a particularly good one you could try: http://www.guitars101.com/vb/forumindex.php

You will need to register with the forum in order to download...but that is free.

Most of the ones I've seen on this site have, at minimum, a drum track. Also, I'm sure there are other forums out there as well.

Tom C

i've been making backing tracks off midi files, i have a couple thousand midi's on my hard drive(got them free off internet), i take the songs i like and run them thru sessions and it lets me turn off the instrument i dont want, i use my stereo for my computer spkrs so im able to record the midi's onto cassette then bring them back into comp and convert them to mp3's, the sessions copy i have was given to me and i think its a demo version, it wont let me convert straight to mp3's, but this works for me and i have the time to do it

chuck

Always wondered myself how you guys got the drums, many thnx for all the help and chuck great little program thnx for the name of the prog just d/l it and great it auto detects and you can turn of the intruments to record or practise :)

many thnx, for the beta monkey site looks good loads of tracks and info on it, cant do any playing just now todd, broke my middle finger repairing an exhaust on my sons car the other day, gees last time i help him lol

There are some forums that you could use as well that have member created backing tracks (such as this one). That is if you didn't want to take the time to create your own. Some of them are quite elaborate.

This is a particularly good one you could try: http://www.guitars101.com/vb/forumindex.php

You will need to register with the forum in order to download...but that is free.

Most of the ones I've seen on this site have, at minimum, a drum track. Also, I'm sure there are other forums out there as well.

Tom C

Wow, that site as fantastic for backing tracks. I downloaded about fifty from it yesterday. A million thank you's to you Tom. It's much appreciated. :)

many thnx, for the beta monkey site looks good loads of tracks and info on it, cant do any playing just now todd, broke my middle finger repairing an exhaust on my sons car the other day, gees last time i help him lol

That's not good! That middle finger comes in handy. Especially when someone cuts you off in traffic!

I'm going to check out some of these drum track sites. Thanks for the free advice to us poor drumless folk who can only strum and twang!

Hey

I actually make a lot of my own drum tracks in Cubase SX, and then use DFH Superior for the sounds. I either play them in from a keyboard, or programme them. Sometimes I am able to convince a drummer friend of mine to record tracks for me.

I have a copy of Cakewalk's drag and drop drummer, which is OK for creating tracks. The very first backing track I ever made I did using that. It is essentially midi files played in 2-4 bar phrases, by a real drummer. You can then select the ones you want and chain them together to create a part for a song.

I might post some tracks later - they are on a different PC.

All the best