• The Police
    • Aerosmith
    • Jefferson Airplane
    • Guns N Roses
    • Van Halen
    • Metallica
    • U2

paintangel    0

Well, I picked the Beatles, honestly, I grew up in the Bay City Roller generation:escape: Actually I have a few I'd really have to pick too and some that are also not there like Cheap Trick and Deep Purple and Def Leopard...and of course The Eagles:yeahhh:

Clancy    36
No Jazz in the type of music poll and no Duke Ellington in this poll..........

Hi Lori,

Anyone can start a poll... and it sounds to me like we might need to start getting some new ones going.

If anyone would like to start a new one, but isn't sure how, here's a sticky I put up some time ago on how it's done. - http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=847

Cheers

Clancy

dougp23    0

That's a tough list! Gotta love Zep, though they always sounded so "thin" live. The Who did some amazing stuff. Was looking for one of my fave bands, Dire Straits. So I picked the Police, always liked their reggae and atmospheric mood songs.

Ovation    0

Just like many others, I could have picked alot more than one. But, I would have to say Pink Floyd due to diversity of the music. Altough I am a huge Zep fan and current day I think would be Dave Matthews........Typical situation, to many choices.

coldethyl    0

I recently purchased the Pink Floyd PULSE DVD and although they were minus Roger Waters, they were still extremely professional and all of them brilliant musicians.

They would have to be one of THE BIGGEST bands around today. Just wish they'd do another tour WITH Roger Waters.

Stratrat    0

I guess I just cast the first vote for Van Halen! :)

There are more than a few VERY good bands in that poll, though - have always loved the Eagles, and Zeppelin is right up there too. Queen was a very talented and versatile band, hard to say anything bad about them.

Never liked U2 - I think politics should be kept separate from music, and they do a poor job of that - and I've long been of the opinion that the Beatles are probably THE single most overrated band in the history of music. Sorry, I know there are a lot of people who strongly disagree with that....just my opinion!

fly135    5

"I've long been of the opinion that the Beatles are probably THE single most overrated band in the history of music"

I would disagree with that and I'm not a fan of the Beatles. I've never bought a Beatles album because their music doesn't really speak to me. But I feel that they were a collective genius and their music is enduring and influential.

randomaire    0

Yeah to me I just don't see Pink Floyd being well Pink Floyd without Roger Waters, they had that concert on VH1 Classics last nite also (The pulse one). But definatly like Pink Floyd alot.

randomaire    0

Let me do a twist on the Beatle thing.. well maybe its not new. Maybe the original Beatles were over rated to a point, but yes definatly very influential and great talent, but I think where the Beatles were the best was when they were on their own. That I would have to say would be the most underrated part of the Fab Four as a whole.

Paul with Give my Regards to Broad Street

John with of course .. Imagine

George.. Lots of good solo stuff... (Got my mind set on you) and the Traveling Willbury's

Ringo.. Well Ringo is just ringo, he always loved the music.

dougp23    0

I always liked the GH song Wah-Wah. When he did it live it was such a raveup!

Beatles were talented, but def an acquired taste. Well, heck, I guess anyone could say that about any band for that matter!

Stunned that VH only has 1 vote, especially on a forum where EVH is held in pretty high esteem! Are folks saying EVH would be better on his own!!

SteveG    0

Van Helen was definitely an innovator and a very talented guitarist, but Im afraid I just dont like his songs. Guess others feel the same?

skinnybloke    4
I've long been of the opinion that the Beatles are probably THE single most overrated band in the history of music. Sorry, I know there are a lot of people who strongly disagree with that....just my opinion!

Bet:-

1/ Get a copy of "The Beatles Complete".

2/ Play every song from - "Across the Universe" to "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away".

(That would be about 180 songs, quite a lot for an over rated band).

3/ Come back & stand by your statement,

4/ I will send you a slab of the best Aus beer.

Cheers Skinny.

coldethyl    0
Bet:-

1/ Get a copy of "The Beatles Complete".

2/ Play every song from - "Across the Universe" to "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away".

(That would be about 180 songs, quite a lot for an over rated band).

3/ Come back & stand by your statement,

4/ I will send you a slab of the best Aus beer.

Cheers Skinny.

I'll double that slab!

The Beatles influence on other top artists is just phenomenal! No overated band or artist could get anywhere near reaching that kind of achievement. Not even in their wildest dreams!

skinnybloke    4

Neil, just worked out how much it would cost to send two cases of ale to the States:isaynothing:

Hopefully Strat won't read this thread, or...will change his mind:yes:

Message to self:- "Don't POST, when yous'e PIST"!

thanks Clancy. i look at the bands and feel old so i thought i would complain

I feel that sometimes some genre's of music are left on the back burner. I reckon there are a lot band's that deserve a lot more recognition than they get. I think this poll is about what band's obviously spring to mind. I reckon a lot of people on the site feel the same, However I think that another alternative poll would still be as well recieved as is this one.