nickcallear

Electronics question

nickcallear    5

Hay peeps

I'm considering changing my pups soon and i was wondering is it worth changing all the electronics in my guitar like pots and switch's and tone caps.

I'm going to be sticking with passive pups but want something with a bit more output.

Also if it is a good idea to change pots can you recommend some for me as i havnt got a clue if they would make a difference or not.

Cheers guys

Nick

pHGTRSpider    32

I changed the bridge pick-up to a heavy seymour duncan in one of my guitars 25 years ago. Did it myself and changed one pot so I could coil tap it. Still working perfectly after all these years. It's not hard to do. There is no reason to change the pots if they are working correctly. I have noticed with one of my cheaper guitars that the volume pots don't work as well as the more expensive ones. If I was to do some work on these I would change the pots at the same time. You'll find wiring diagrams on the seymour duncan site, have a go at changing the pick-ups. One at a time! You'll enjoy the challenge and feel great afterwards. Good Luck.

OldG    3

It depends... if the guitar came with budget pots, cap etc -then you will notice a difference - for what it cost and for peace of mind I would change to switchcraft or similar quality, anyways.

If you are thinking of changing from single coil to humbucker you will need to change pots and cap to suit - 250K for singles and 500k for hb's as a rule. Cap too @ 022uf for hb and 047uf for sc as a guide.

nickcallear    5

Hay OldG my guitar has two HB's and just thinking of changing them as i want abit more crunch and more output but was woundring would it be an idea to change everything else while i was at it.

I was thinking one of these for the tone pot

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/PMT-DMTG/Dual-Mode-High-Low-Pass-Tone-Control-For-Guitar.html

and onf of these for the volume pot

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/CPC500/CTS-500K-Audio-Taper-Precision-Tolerance-Guitar-Super-Pot.html

As for pups ive not made my mind up yet.

• Like 1

OldG    3

They look fine to me - nice options on the tone pot (looks extra deep - check sizes first). Oh and get a cap and jack scket to complete the job while you're at it.:)

shonie777    3

Hay OldG my guitar has two HB's and just thinking of changing them as i want abit more crunch and more output but was woundring would it be an idea to change everything else while i was at it.

I was thinking one of these for the tone pot

http://www.guitarele...For-Guitar.html

and onf of these for the volume pot

http://www.guitarele...-Super-Pot.html

As for pups ive not made my mind up yet.

When someone brings a guitar to me for repair or mod, if the guitar has lower end quality pots, switches, etc I always recommend upgrading them. Doing so make a noticeable difference and you basically never have to worry about them again. I have done this on many Squires and Epiphones. Also when I do this upgrade for people I replace all the wiring with cloth wiring.

Guitar Electronics is "The Place" to get new pots, caps, wire, etc. The sell awesome kits for a very good price. When I build or mod a guitar, I always get my pots, switches, etc from them. They are located in Phoenix, AZ and I live way up here in Northern AZ, but when I go to Phx to visit family, I always stop by there and browse. They also do great work on amps. I had my '76 Fender Dual Showman Reverb Blackfaced there. They are the best place in all of AZ to get amp work done.

On a side note, they also have awesome wiring diagrams for free download!

Shonie