- - - - -

scale progressions ?

4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   paulg1630

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Joined 17-November 11

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:17 AM

I ve been learning some scales ,now im wondering which scales can i play together .So should you play them in a progression like with chord progressions eg 1,3,5 ,can you mix major and minor,pentatonic etc together my book just shows the patterns nothing about which scales sound good together.

#2 OFFLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,309 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 25 December 2011 - 06:22 PM

Paulg,

You should take a look at PlaneTalk which was developed by Kirk. You'll find it will answer a lot of your questions.

Mike

#3 OFFLINE   lorsban

• Active Members
  • 137 posts
  • Joined 05-August 08

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

Generally, once you know the "key" a song is in, you can simply apply the appropriate scale to it. For example, take your basic E blues progression, for this all you have to play is the E minor pentatonic scale. Some songs however have more than 1 key, so you have to figure out what the key is and which part of the song its in so you can make the transition.

Another approach is what mset3 mentioned, where you play a particular set of notes that suit the chords you're playing. This method is more naturally melodic because you're always playing notes that fit.

#4 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:19 AM

Hi there
learn some rules of harmony - how chords are constructed and how they relate to other chords - and then go back and look at scales in relation to the chords.
Scales are very useful but often taught in a very unproductive way; we tend to be just shown some shapes and told to go for it...and it sounds like someone running a pattern up and down. Once you start to see how scales overlay with their relative chords you can use them to much greater musical effect.

#5 OFFLINE   GeoNjules

• Active Members
  • 267 posts
  • Joined 27-October 06

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:31 AM

View Postscotty_b, on 09 January 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

Scales are very useful but often taught in a very unproductive way; we tend to be just shown some shapes and told to go for it...and it sounds like someone running a pattern up and down. Once you start to see how scales overlay with their relative chords you can use them to much greater musical effect.

You hit that one right on the head Scotty.
" I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users