toryst

The most underrated guitarists

toryst    0

I like the best guitarists post but I am always interested in all of the underrated ones.

We all know the guitar gods but what about the ones that fly under the radar?

My top 5 are (not in order):

George Harrison-The Beatles

Neil Schon-Journey

Billy Gibbons-ZZ Top

Eliot Easton-The Cars

Lindsay Buckingham-Fleetwood Mac

And there are so many more!

ie-The Edge (U2), Buddy Holly, Jonny Greenwood (Radiohead), etc, etc, etc,

Can anyone name more?

737blues    0

I was wondering when somebody would start this thread, good move

Definitely George Harrison - The Beatles

What about Hank Marvin - The shadows

Jimmy Vaughan - in the shadow of little brother, SRV?

and talking of brothers - Phil Emmanuel, little brother of Tommy

Son Seals, Lonnie Brooks, Magic Sam and a whole heap of African American Blues guitarists. What about John Mayall?

I guess there could be hundreds, depending on people's tastes but these are a few which spring to mind immediately for me.

coldethyl    0

Mike Bloomfield

Robert Fripp - KING CRIMSON

Steve Howe - YES

Roger McGuinn - THE BYRDS

Steven Stills - CSN&Y

Don Felder - The Eagles

Tom Scholz - BOSTON

Brian Robertson - Thin Lizzy

Mick Taylor - Rolling Stones

Jeff "Skunk" Baxter - Doobie Brothers

Andy Scott - The Sweet

rsoxfan1123    0

believe it or not I have been a huge fan of Candlebox's Peter Klett for years. I love the feeling he gets out of his work, like on 10,000 horses, It's alright and of course, the ever worn out "far behind".

toryst    0

Yes they are all very well respected...but the point is do they get mentioned in the same essence as Clapton, Page, Hendrix, Santana, et. al.? By comparison, no. You will probably never see these guys mentioned in a list of greatest guitarist of all time list. However they have mastered their craft and have their own unique sound but they get overlooked by a lot of people. IMHO that makes them underrated. And underrated is not a bad thing by any means.

How about Rick Derringer, Tommy Shaw.

Andy S    9

Yeh! Robert Cray. He's on Clapton's Crossroads Guitar festival DVD. Really good.

Ok, how about Brian Setzer? The man can play Rock-a-billy, Big Band (chord work to beat all) and just as an overall player, WAAAaaayy underrated (at least IMO)

Doyle Bramhall III is on that same DVD. Perhaps he isn't shown playing anything challenging or inspiring. He just struck me as a good blues player. Could be wrong, been before.

How 'bout Vince Gill? I thought he was mostly a singer.writer. That man can play!

Oh, oh! How 'bout Bonnie Raitt! She's definitely up there.

And speaking of Slide players.......how 'bout our very own Kirk!!

737blues    0

Haven't looked at the Crosroads DVD for a while and I know Doyle Bramhall only did one song upfront of his own band, but I think he also did some terrific stuff right alongside EC on a couple of numbers ?? Anyway, I agree. He certainly rates a mention here. :yes: Love Bonnie Rait and of course, we all love Kirk's stuff. :yes: BTW, along with Vince Gill, what about Arlon Roth?

Andy S    9

Hmmm....here's a thought (watchout world!! Not real often I do this!) :eek:

Are these folks really underrated or just not as well known as others?

What I mean is this... Take Phil Keaggy for instance. In the last few years I have hard his name mentioned by other guitar players (in their interviews) and each time he is highly praised. Other "known" players will mention folks that influenced them or inspire them and often a name will come up that the reader may not have heard before.

Up until, oh, Eight years ago, I had not heard of Tommy Emmanuel. I heard his name mentioned in an interview and checked it out. Needless to say , I was dumbfounded when I heard him play. :blink:

BUT!!! does he get the publicity that a top 40 artist may get?

NOooo! :no: But, is he underrated or not by the community of players around the world. I think NOT!!

Not trying to suck up to Kirk or anything, but he gets all very positive comments when one does a search on the 'net. SO, under rated.... I think not, just not a common name in the world.

So, perhaps Most underrated guitarists would be a misnomer. Perhaps.....Some of the better or great players YOU know that may not be household names!?! Something to think about, heh? :huh:

nocat    0

Ok Andrew, I get what you're shooting at. The way I see it, an underrated guitarist is one

that has done some extraordinary work but is not mainstream or not generally recognized

by the consuming public...

Little old grandmas in the darkest Congo have heard of Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix, probably

even Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vie, But what about the Robert Fripps or Michal Schenkers,

people who are well known to other musicians, But are otherwise just names to the general public....

I'm sure, as guitarists we could rattle off a half dozen names most people have never heard

or are unfamiliar with, but I don't think that this is the point here...

The point, I believe is. Who are the lesser known guitarist which you admire but are

not as well known to the general populous as are the gods of the guitar...???

Just because you, as a guitarrist have heard of them, and are familiar with their work,

does not mean they are not underrated...

Take Phil Keaggy as an example... Go to the street and ask 10 strangers if they know

who he is... If less than 5 people do... He is underrated...!!!

Cheers

Ben

toryst    0

Well said Ben and that precisely made my point for this thread. For some reason I am

fascinated by these guitarist...and some of them come from very well known groups...(Journey, The Cars, Radiohead, etc) but how many know the guitarist? Their sound is well known tho...Neil Schon is distinctive, and The Edge has a unique tone, same for Keith Richards. Very well known guitarists but they are not ever in a top list. Here's one...Alex Lifeson. Can anyone name the band? I'm sure the fans of this band will get it right away but he surely is not included in the lists. I am not a fan of this band but I sure do recognize his sound and his talent. Here is a link to a local radio station that is counting down the top guitarist as voted by the listeners. I think this is interesting because a few of my underrateds are in there.

www.wncx.com

Note where Phil Keaggy is:)

Andy S    9
.........The way I see it, an underrated guitarist is one

that has done some extraordinary work but is not mainstream or not generally recognized

by the consuming public...

Little old grandmas in the darkest Congo have heard of Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix, probably even Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vie, .........

The point, I believe is. Who are the lesser known guitarist which you admire but are

not as well known to the general populous as are the gods of the guitar...???

Just because you, as a guitarrist have heard of them, and are familiar with their work,

does not mean they are not underrated...

Ben

Ben,

Agreed! :thumbup1: Under that description, you're right on the money.

And , as for this line.....

"Little old grandmas in the darkest Congo have heard of Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix, probably even Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vie,"

They would be interesting little old grandmas, if you ask me!

:wheelchai:rockon: HA!

Rock on Granny!

rsoxfan1123    0
Yes they are all very well respected...but the point is do they get mentioned in the same essence as Clapton, Page, Hendrix, Santana, et. al.? By comparison, no. You will probably never see these guys mentioned in a list of greatest guitarist of all time list. However they have mastered their craft and have their own unique sound but they get overlooked by a lot of people. IMHO that makes them underrated. And underrated is not a bad thing by any means.

How about Rick Derringer, Tommy Shaw.

I think the guitarists you mentioned (de lucia, cray) are respected by the guitar community. the general public may not have a clue, but to me underratted means unrecognized. I know Zakk Wylde has mentioned De Lucia as one of his all time favorties. Shaw and Derringer don't stand out as individuals in my mind. they were more part of a team in song creation. Derringer had might even have gotten lucky a couple of times with his hit making. To me, some guitar players stand out stylisticly or just in their contribution to the instrument as a part of its evolution, like Hendrix and Van Halen (not underrated). Anyone remember Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush?