Is there a "right" way to play guitar?

8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stephan

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 24-July 04

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:50 PM

I was just curious... Is there a "right" way to play guitar? What I mean is that I think there are certainly people who simply learn how to play guitar by ear or tabs... Or they do not know how to read notes at all...

More specifically.... is there a right way of fretting? ex: this finger MUST be on this fret... the other must be in THIS position.

I was looking at this kid play guitar. He says he watches videos online, and within one hour he is able to play it or is able to understand what is necessary to play the song. How does he know where to position his fingers? And using which fingers? Does it matter?

#2 OFFLINE   6string

• Active Members
  • 4,065 posts
  • Joined 31-July 04

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:51 PM

My opinion would be that the end justifies the means
Deja Moo: The feeling that youve heard this bull before.

#3 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,247 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:08 AM

No, Stephan ... there is no 'right' way. As 6string says, you choose the best way for the occasion. There are 'standard' ways of gripping a chord or playing a line, but that doesn't mean it's right. It's just the most comfortable. But often you find that you need to move to non-standard ways of playing things depending on what just came before or what's coming next. It's all in the context.

But, if you're watching a video, you just look to see how the guy in the video played it.

#4 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:44 AM

Yes Stephan, Two good answers above.
One of the reasons guitarists tend to adopt "standard" playing techniques is because they work. You don't need particular fingers every time, but generally what you normally see players do turns out to be the easiest way to play. If your hands are bigger, smaller, or just a different shape to the bloke in the video, then you might have to work out your own method.
Some guitarists are self taught, some have had lessons, some can read notation, some read TAB. For me, I want to listen to the music that comes out of the guitar, and I don't really care how the player learned to play.
I see you've been around here for quite a long time. Maybe we'll hear a bit more from you in the future.
Keep in touch.
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

#5 OFFLINE   mattz196

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,536 posts
  • Joined 31-July 06

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:25 AM

Howdy Stephan
Given the quality of the advice above all I can add is Welcome to the forum .
Matt
What's Rangoon to you is Grafton to me

#6 OFFLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,431 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:46 AM

Stephan,

All good advice above. Have patience with your practice and before you know it, it will start coming together.

Mike

#7 OFFLINE   dutchman063

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 65 posts
  • Joined 09-February 07

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:55 PM

one thing i discovered when trying to learn myself but then had it pointed out later was when fretting to position my thumb as closely behind the middle finger as possible, it gives me bettrer control fretting when trying to fret the pinkie

#8 OFFLINE   kpheard

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 20-April 12

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

Hi I think the main thing is to ENJOY what you are doing. Then you will persevere with learning. That is true of anything. If it is a chore, you will lose interest.
I do think it is nice to learn one instrument "properly, in the traditional style" and can help you learn others more easily. I also think it is better to understand music theory and be able to read music but bottom line, it is not essential. After all, Paul McCartney cannot read music! Enough said.

#9 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,247 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

I agree, kpheard. What's the point unless you're enjoying it? I also agree about the understanding theory. That to me is far more important than reading notation which I'm still not very good with. Something short circuits in my brain when I try to sight read. Fortunately, you don't need to read notation to understand theory. But unless you're loving it, progress will be slow and tedious.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users