When to use 7th and 9th chords?

2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bigdog3332

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 17-November 09

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:57 PM

Are there certain situations where you should be using these chords? I usually see people playing blues progressions in A for example with an A7, D9, and E9. Why are these blues progressions played with a I chord of A7 instead of A major? When playing an A7 as the I, can you play D and E for the IV and V or do they need to be 9th chords? I hope this isn't too confusing.

#2 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,217 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:27 PM

The blues generally revolves around dominant chords, which means 7th ... not always, but usually. If the 7th fit, you'll soon hear it. I find that IV can usually be a 9th. The other two are not quite as easily turned into 9ths. Again, it's an ear thing ... if it sounds uncomfortable or weak, don't do it. Remember that a 9th is just a 7th with one extra note, it's still a dominant chord because the b7 is there.

Every song is different (thank heavens) and there's no one rule that applies to all blues tunes.

#3 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,886 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:13 PM

That was a good question nd explanation.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users