carol m

I Believe in Love

In an effort to supply some uplifting lyrics instead of my usual 'love gone wrong', or break up songs here are some older lyrics which I posted a few years ago. At that time Starsailor and Annette (she hasn't been around here for ages) did great and different versions. If anyone feels creative in any way with them, fire away.

As always, add, cut, change around, squash/expand what ever you need to fit with your music. Any and all efforts are greatly appreciated.

On rereading them I can't help notice that they aren't completely uplifting after all. Oh well. :)

I Believe in Love

It don’t matter what you do -

It don’t matter where you look -

There are always the ones

That are on the make

Take what they want

Just leave heartache

But.........

I believe in love

No matter what they say

I do - (yeah)...

I hurt, I fall

I don’ learn at all –

I believe in love..

Yeah! ...

I believe in love

Oh yes I do......

We all know the feel of love -

One day down, the next day up

Is this the one?

Will this one last?

Or more of the same

Like in the past?

But.......

I believe in love

No matter what they say

I do - yeah!

I hurt, I fall

I don’t learn at all –

I believe in love

Yeah! –

I believe in love

Oh yes I do......

Add riffs, solos, yeahs, harmony vocals etc and repeats as fits your timing available.

Hey Carol. I don't know about you but it seems the songs that have a darker and not so happy feel are easier to write .... for me anyway. I have a hard time writing lyrics that are totally happy go lucky without sounding cheesy. I suppose the darker lyrics are my way of venting things and seem to have more meaning to me. Don't get me wrong I love good uplifting lyrics ..... I just personally have a hard time writing them lol. whenever I hear a good uplifting song on the radio that grabs me I always say " I wish I could write like that !" but when I try it doesn't seem to work. It may be that Its because I can't yet write the music to go with it and so in just reading the words it seems cheesy .... :dunno:

These lyrics do seem uplifting to me. They have that fear of doubt being overcome with optimism .... (if that makes sense).

Anyway I'm rambling on what I'm trying to say is nice lyrics ;)

Johnny

"Add riffs, solos, yeahs, harmony vocals etc and repeats"...............lol......i was hearin single guitar and vocal

actually.......just got a different vibe from this ;)

i'm in for a wee shot....if that's ok

Paul

Fire away, Paul - no worries. It's great to hear how other people interpret lyrics in music - something I don't seem to be able to do.

Hey Carol,

I haven't been around, but just thought I would pop by as I slowly make my way back to music. I thought those lyrics looked familiar and ironically I just listened to that song on my soundclick page (which I think gave me the inspiration to drop by). Will be interested to hear more versions of your lyrics.

Cheers,

Annette

Hey Annette! Good to hear from you again! I hope you and your family are well. Getting back into music is always a good idea. I'm looking forward to hearing some of it. :)

Hey Carol,

I haven't been around, but just thought I would pop by as I slowly make my way back to music. I thought those lyrics looked familiar and ironically I just listened to that song on my soundclick page (which I think gave me the inspiration to drop by). Will be interested to hear more versions of your lyrics.

Cheers,

Annette

Synchronicity ;)

like these lyrics a lot Carol :)...........here's the vibe i got :D

i believe in LoVe..mp3

something a wee bit different maybe........

Paul......................

Wow, that is different and very interesting too - and some slip/sliding away as a bonus. Now there are 5 completely different versions of these lyrics - Nutty (Annette), Starsailor (Chris), Paul (sheraton), Kenny (4xstringdrive) and Ian McAllister. I can't get over how they are all so different and yet ~ the same words.

Hey, any other takers? We could make a CD......

Nice work, Paul, as always. Thanks for having a go with more of my lyrics, it's appreciated. :):punk:

Hey Carol. I don't know about you but it seems the songs that have a darker and not so happy feel are easier to write .... for me anyway. I have a hard time writing lyrics that are totally happy go lucky without sounding cheesy. I suppose the darker lyrics are my way of venting things and seem to have more meaning to me. Don't get me wrong I love good uplifting lyrics ..... I just personally have a hard time writing them lol. whenever I hear a good uplifting song on the radio that grabs me I always say " I wish I could write like that !" but when I try it doesn't seem to work. It may be that Its because I can't yet write the music to go with it and so in just reading the words it seems cheesy .... :dunno:

These lyrics do seem uplifting to me. They have that fear of doubt being overcome with optimism .... (if that makes sense).

Anyway I'm rambling on what I'm trying to say is nice lyrics ;)

Johnny

Thanks, Johnny. I agree that darker lyrics are easier to write. Probably because conflict, disappointment, loneliness, regret, uncertainty etc is more dramatic and more interesting than simple 'happiness'. But usually in a song, there is also an opportunity for hope, guts, determination and resilience to be included. I think writing a 'happy' song is not easy to do without being bland.

Also I nearly always prefer hearing a slower style of music with insightful words and depth of meaning which make you take notice, think and reminisce - I listened to Dark Side of the Moon last night, and it's a perfect example of what I mean. It's incredible that this album came out of nowhere and it's still brilliant today.

i think the Dark side is easier to right about, because when we're in those darker places or moments we reflect more, and when in lighter/happier times, we escape that a wee bit.........meh..........i'm ramblin........lol :escape:

Nice take on Carol's lyrics Paul, good to see this song done again, I agree about the Dark side it does seem to have more potential for a writer, I suppose it's the same with news, people tend to prefer a certain shock value to their news rather than a lot of happy stories, must be a human condition.

Great work on this Paul, breathed new life into it, cool :claping:

Ooooh, The Dark Side? I assume that you, like me, can only write about that because you have a good imagination. :whistling

yep!..........i'm all sweetness and light............(don't believe a word) :escape:

i embrace the dark times, along with happier times........ :yinyang:

i do like to try and be a bit more uplifting, when singing about the darkness tho...........rather than the, woe is me, dwelling on the fact vibe

it's easier to do sadness though.........i just feel there's enough of that around..........

which is why i really like these lyrics............i was feeling a universal, collective love vibe from them, not the personal relationship vibe........had in mind almost a chant or choir type sound, lots of voices singing (and believing)........i could imagine dancing round a fire chanting this one .....lol

i don't like the last line i added tho.........it just came out, but takes away from the feeling i had in mind when recording...........maybe change it, to "i believe it's true".........which is true....as i do :yes: ....lol

Paul.......

p.s ...any links to the other versions............or maybe someone (Carol) could post them on this thread

It's funny you say that about the choir approach and also the big crowd of people singing and dancing because Nutty (Annette) did a lovely 'choiry' version and Chris did a stadium anthem...oh yeah! Ian did a shredding/rock solo extravaganza and Kenny (4Xstringdrive did a version that was, well, Kenny :) hard to describe because his songs were always unique to Kenny - in a good way)

When I wrote the lyrics I imagined a huge packed mega stadium and it was the last song of the night as the finale of a brilliant concert.....on hearing the first few bars a roar goes up and arms are raised with hundreds of thousands of lighters waving in the night......then the song starts and everyone is singing along and yelling their tiny little hearts out....I believe in Love..Oh yes I do....etc.....long into the night....out into the car parks and down the highways...into the pubs and clubs.....I Believe in Love, Oh yes I do........surprisingly, that never happened but I still enjoy the dream.

I've been hunting around for the old threads and didn't have a total success. Here is the thread where Ian posted his version:

http://www.guitarfor...elieve-in-love/

Here is the thread where Chris posted the backing track he used:

http://www.guitarfor...itarist-wanted/

I can't find the thread with the anthem version with Chris's great 'oh yeah' vocals on it but I'll upload his recording here - hope you don't mind Chris - pm me if you do and I'll delete it. Now i remember I haven't loaded up my music into iTunes but I might still find it....hang on....

Starsailor - I Believe in Love w organ 3..mp3

I can't find the thread where Annette posted her version - I have several versions that she worked on at the time but I'm not sure now which of them is her preferred final version so if you want to show us where the thread is, Anettte, that would be interesting, or maybe upload your favorite version yourself?

They are all so different it is amazing, and fantastic. Thanks friends for the work you put into these lyrics. It's appreciated :)

ooops double post

Chris - "oh yeah" ...........i'm diggin it dude :)

cool version from Ian too :)

it's good to hear the wee bits of the lyrics everyone adds or adjusts, and overall interpretation

this is cool.........at least 6 people on this forum alone "Believe in love"......there's hope for us all yet ;)

Aye, it's good to hear so many unique takes on a song with a good positive mantra..........there are so many songs in the mainstream these days, that to my way of thinkin, and what i believe, send out a bad negative mantra....to the masses.....which actually inspired me to write a song i posted recently called "LoVe" .........(the lyrics might make more sense now, to anyone who heard it)

lol...even with all this talk of the darker/sadder vibe.......it looks to me like the forum is full of closet optimists :yes::clap:

Paul..............

Edited by sheraton