carol m

Hartford Town

I got prodded to put up some song lyrics again. Here's some I did a while back. Well, they are lyrics at least. Nothing very earth shattering - same old, same old, but anyway. As usual, if you want to use any part in any way, switcheroo anything's ok, go for it - I'm always pleased and flattered if anyone has a go in any way, no matter what the standard - no exceptions.

What are they doing

In Hartford today

Do they think that I miss them

Do they think that I care?

Long time ago

I lived in that town

That's where I learned

That life/love brings you down

Chorus/refrain

Hartford town, Hartford town

That's where life will bring you down

That's where I learned

How to cut and to run

That's where I learned

Some things can't be undone

What are they doing

In Hartford today

Has anything changed there

Do they think that I care?

Chorus/refrain

You can keep all the heartache

I'm all through with crying

You can keep all the pain

I'm all through with trying

maybe pre-chorus?

All that I loved

Turned to ashes and pain

I'll never let love

Bring me down ever again

Too much heartache, too much pain

I'll never set foot in that town again

No, I'll never set foot in that town again

outro

If anyone here lives in Hartford - it's not personal. It had the right number of syllables and sounded right.

:)

i instantly thought play house of the rising sun and use those lyrics thats all i can think of ive just woke up my brains half asleep.do you think it would sound good.No on second thoughts its scarborough fair especially the verses it seems to go with to me.Sorry i cant be original and think of my own tune.

• Like 1

Sure, why not? You'll probably find you have to shorten/switch change the lyrics and or words slightly to fit any music you put them to. That's fine. Go for it!

Even if that doesn't work out, you might find a way to fit something similar to the original HORS in a way that works. It's a fairly standard lyric form which would probably fit lots of already written music.

• Like 1

hey carol........ i hear a song there for sure.......however, i don't think i can sing this one :(

it's not a big deal, but i don't like to contradict my personal views, when i sing......

here are a couple of lines, for a song i've had in ma head for a while.....to give you an idea what i mean

it's not where you are that counts

it's how you view the world around you

a little time to look inside yourself

might help to change your outlook

it may seem a wee bit silly, but i feel if you don't believe/feel/agree/understand what you sing, then what's the point

i hope that doesn't sound pretentious

it's a pity, as i hear a song,.......... but i hear songs when i read the newspaper...lol

Paul............

Are you saying you could shoe-horn your lyrics into the above? If not, maybe I'll try and tweak the original to be more positive and hopeful - could be a challenge but challenges are there as a challenge - right?

Nice photo, but what have you done with Paul?

i never thought of that actually, i was just tryin to explain myself a wee bit, i hear it a lot where i live - "i can't wait to leave this sh**hole of a town"

but i don't believe a place makes the people, people make the place, and you can't run from your self......

it could work for me, if there's maybe that realisation put in at the end......i left Hartford town and i'm as miserable as ever, maybe Hartford town has more to offer....???

Aye the photo..lol....we had a really long summer this year, but now it's winter for sure, the shades in the last pic had to go, i'm no sure i like this pic tho, when it's resized here it looks like i'm scouling

I have other lyrics that are more uplifting, but I posted them a couple of years ago. It was I Believe in Love which is just about the opposite of Hartford Town. Starsailor and Annette (I forget her user name, sorry) both recorded great versions of it but I'll post them again in case you or anyone else wants to put them to music - I'll do a separate Colab thread for them.