Another Attempt..........Maybe a Bit of Progress

10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gasbag

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 430 posts
  • Joined 31-January 08

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:44 PM

I was trying to do a cover of Into White by Cat Stevens. I failed miserably.
It retains a bit of the original sound but wanders off into the forest of lost songs and dies a miserable death.
However, I do like what came out. I think I am improving a bit and it actually doesn't sound too bad for what it is.
It is the first recording I have made that I actually like going back and listening to.

I am learning to use compression and other effects, this is the first tune I have used them.
I have trouble getting a realistic guitar sound out of what I record. They always sound muted or "tinny" to me.
I am keeping this one and will try to get it to sound a bit better as I figure things out.

There is not a vocal on this. I don't sing.
Don't ask me to sing. You will regret it.
My dogs are still recovering from my first attempt.

It is on my Ovation Balladeer Special.
I use an Audio Technica AT2020 mic
an Alesis i02 Express interface straight in to Audacity.
nothing fancy........just trying to learn a bit as I go and keep it simple.

http://www.soundclic...d=11240187&q=hi
If it's tourist season why can't you hunt them?

#2 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

Regardless of what you might've wanted, or what Mr Stevens recorded, this is a nice piece of music.
Congratulations.
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

#3 ONLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 669 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:14 PM

nice clean playing gassbag and there's a nice sound of your guitar.
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. B.B. King

#4 ONLINE   mattz196

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,529 posts
  • Joined 31-July 06

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

Very Nice Gas bag
What's Rangoon to you is Grafton to me

#5 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,251 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:03 AM

If I'd recorded that I would be very pleased with my efforts - not bad at all. It's easy to hear one of your own recordings that to your own ears sounds tinny, thin, un-musical, whatever, but when others hear it with fresh ears it sounds great - that's my experience anyway no matter the level of skill or otherwise of the piece itself. It's personal negative bias sort of thing.

Of course there are the rare people who think every horrible noise they make is a masterpiece but they are instantly banned from gfb (not really, of course) :)
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#6 OFFLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,348 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:31 AM

Gasbag,

Sometimes we are our own worst critic. This was very good.

Mike

#7 OFFLINE   windsong

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,702 posts
  • Joined 29-October 07

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:54 PM

Very nice and clean playing. Enjoyed listening to it. Very smooth playing.

#8 OFFLINE   gasbag

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 430 posts
  • Joined 31-January 08

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:53 PM

Well, first of all.................<burrrrrrrrrp>........mmmmmmmmm...........(oh my tummy).......gurglegurgle.............<sighburrrrrrrrrrrp>------------------oh too much turkey. :crying2:

Second............thanks for the nice comments. I realize I get a little too over critical with myself but it has been a life long habit and it ain't changing anytime soon.
The tone of this tune is much better than I have been able to get before and like I said it is the first one I have done that I do like listening to again.
I also have improved a bit since last time so I am pleased. I wasn't searching for compliments but just hoping it sounded better to others.
I am just beginning to be able to use effects to improve tone etc. It is kind of interesting and fun.

It would have been nice if someone thought I sounded a bit like a mix of Andres Segovia and Tommy Emmanuel but I guess no one picked up on that. :whistling
I will keep plugging away and hopefully be able to put up another in the near future.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. <burp> (sorry)
If it's tourist season why can't you hunt them?

#9 OFFLINE   windsong

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,702 posts
  • Joined 29-October 07

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:37 AM

It would have been nice if someone thought I sounded a bit like a mix of Andres Segovia and Tommy Emmanuel but I guess no one picked up on that.

I was going to say it, but I'd thought you had too much turkey and might still be hitting the eggnog !

#10 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,010 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:42 PM

gasbag,
That was nicely done. You should be very pleased with this.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#11 OFFLINE   sheraton

• Active Members
  • 1,264 posts
  • Joined 22-August 09

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:54 PM

cool i really enjoyed listening to this............i don't know the original, but as a guitar arrangement it's real nice, well played and a nice tone

Paul.............

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users