- - - - -

Encore guitar should i buy or not?

14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:55 PM

A guy that lives near me is selling a sunburst les paul type Encore guitar with an amp, a zoom 505 mk 2 effects pedal,dvds and books etc.He wants about 60 pounds for everything.He says the guitar is imaculate and is nice to play.
I already have a cheap begginer electric guitar that i use to practice with and dont really want to have 2 cheapy electric guitars as well as my accoustic around the house.
This guitar sounds like a bargain though mainly because the effects pedal could be a new thing
for me to try out.
Should i just wait and get a good les paul like an epiphone or something like that when i am a better player?
I cant decide.

#2 OFFLINE   GotDeeBlues

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 2,797 posts
  • Joined 22-December 06

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:48 PM

You don't mention anything about the amp, so I would first get some specifics on that. Then check prices for new if possible for all the pieces, and E-Bay is a great source for going rate used. Tough market for sellers right now on run of the mill equipment, might land you a good deal. That said, if the guitar you're considering is better than yours or vastly different as to be a new experience playing, then I'd say go for it. Do a good look-see and don't be affraid to offer something less without trying to gut the guy.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
..Nietzsche

#3 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:08 PM

I dont think the amp is going to be up to much.I think its just 1 that came with the guitar as a starter set up.
The effects pedal and guitar do interest me though.The guitar is completely different than the one i use now.
I do spend a lot of time looking at stuff on ebay and i have had a look to get an idea of the value of what he is selling.
Although he said he is wanting around 60 because i am not desperate to buy i was going to offer 40

#4 OFFLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:35 AM

Stu,

I don't know much about the Encore guitar, but from what I've read it appears to be an entry level guitar. Unless you just want another guitar, I would pass and start saving for a better guitar in the future.

Mike

#5 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:55 PM

Thats exactly what ive done.I was only really interested in it because it was going cheap and it had an effects pedal with it that is something ive never tryed yet.
He has had a couple of people interested in buying it from him so hopefuly one of them will offer him what he wants for it.
My aim is to improve my guitar playing over the next 6 months and reward myself with a good quality electric guitar.I would love a gibson les paul but i think they are a bit to expensive for me.Something around 250- 400 would be my sort of budget.

#6 OFFLINE   GotDeeBlues

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 2,797 posts
  • Joined 22-December 06

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:44 AM

Good decision. The lower end Gibson's like the faded SG's and studio LP's sell new for less than $800 US. I think you could easily find a very nice used one for your budget. Some of the new Epiphone models are very nice. I've seen some in shops with better fit/finish than their $1500 Gibson counterparts.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
..Nietzsche

#7 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:23 PM

I am looking at epiphone les paul standard guitars on the internet but there are so many other epiphone les paul guitars that look good.I think i am going to have to physically try these guitars out in a shop to see what they feel and sound like before i decide.I will also keep my eye on ebay for a bargain used gibson.
The only problem i have about going in a shop to try out guitars is that im not a very good player(only been playing since march) so i am a bit self concious.

#8 OFFLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:29 PM

Stu,

We were all beginners at one time. Don't be self conscious about your playing. Good luck with your decision.

Mike

#9 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:13 AM

View PostStu74, on 07 November 2011 - 04:23 PM, said:

The only problem i have about going in a shop to try out guitars is that im not a very good player(only been playing since march) so i am a bit self concious.
If you go into a shop and pretend you're a good player you will end up feeling very inadequate. So do the opposite.Tell the sales person that you don't play, yet, but you want a guitar that feels good in your hands and you like the sound of. He'll gladly demonstrate it for you, demonstrate the pickups, tell you what he likes and dislikes about it and which other guitars in the shop play better or worse. Better still, he'll leave you to play with it for a while to see if you like the feel of it. Sales people understand that the world is full of beginners, in fact they're probably the majority of customers. So don't be scared or nervous.
Then you can come back to us and tell us what you've discovered.
Keep in touch.
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

#10 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:42 PM

Thanks guys.
That is great advice i never thought of listening to the guy in the shop demonstrating the guitar for me to listen to.I always imagine myself sat fumbling away nervously trying to play something simple and customers laughing at me.
I agree i shouldnt be self conscious just because i am a beginer.My guitar teacher did say the other day that he wants to work on my confidence.I would ask him to have a look at new electric guitars with me but electric guitars
arnt his thing.

#11 OFFLINE   GotDeeBlues

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 2,797 posts
  • Joined 22-December 06

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:11 PM

He needn't be an electric guy to help you out. If he's teaching he should have been around enough to know what to look for in that style guitar, and play it well enough to help yo decide. The key is how good it feels to you, and the salesman or your teacher can pass along their thoughts about versatility and overall quality and condition of the guitar itself. Just don't get pushed into something you're really not comfortable with.
..Nietzsche

#12 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:19 PM

My guitar teacher really is not interested in electric guitars at all.I think i would have to drag him to the shop kicking and screaming.If it was for a new acoustic that would be a different case.
I would be happy for the guy in the shop to demonstrate it for me that would be great to hear the sound it creates.Like you say i need to be comfortable with the feel of it so at some point i am going to have to hold it and have a little play myself.

#13 ONLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 674 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:59 PM

Stu ou should try going into the shop on a wednesday morning most shops are empty except for the staff so you dont have to be embarassed and dont forget they had to learn to also i do what kacey said and tell them i've only started so they play a bit for me and most of them leave me to it for as long as i like if thats no better ask for headphones it dont look the best but no one can hear only you.
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. B.B. King

#14 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:37 PM

I do get time off work during the week so a wednesday morning Is possible.to do rather than maybe a busy saturday.
Using headphones is another brilliant idea.I use my headphones most of the time for practicing when my wife is watching tv so i dont know why i didnt think of it.
Cheers Micky

#15 ONLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 674 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:17 PM

no bother stu glad to help.
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. B.B. King

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users