micky mac

Marshall Class 5 valve amp

Hi folks just wondering if anyone has any advice before i buy.I've been looking at low watt valve amps for the past year and i narrowed it down to 2 the first one is the BLACKSTAR HT SERIES 1 WATT COMBO WITH REVERB it really looks like a good little amp only thing is im not sure if 1 watt is enough or it is really only a toy in the past i've owned five ss amps that sounded ok but not great so i really want to buy a good amp and a few pedalls that i'll want to keep forever so im pretty sure im going to go with the

Marshall Class 5 valve amp i've read lots of reviews and nearly all seem to be good only im not sure if it will be to loud to play at home as im not in a band and i'm not planning on being in one either.I know with valve amps its the volume that puts the overdrive in the sound my question is does that mean i'll have to have the volume maxed out to get a decent overdrive sound out of it and if so will i be able to play it at lower volume and put a good overdrive pedal into it and get a good tube amp sound.

thanks

Michael.

How'do Micky

from what i've seen/heard of the Marshall it's a great amp, i think there's a new version out too, from what i'm aware it has a power attenuator built in,

so you can drive the valves hard at a lower volume....ideal for use at home......an overdrive pedal with the amp set clean, will still give good valve tone

the Blackstar amps look good, but Marshall know a thing or two about how to make a good sounding valve amp.

Paul.............

Hi Micky

I've been facing a similar quandry myself after hearing good things about the Blackstar amps (HT-5 Series).

In the Blackstar's favour you get an effect loop and AUX-In which the Marshall lacks, plus reverb or no reverb amp options

In the Marshall's favour....its a Marshall!!!

You're not really going to know just how loud these get until you hear them for yourself so best advice as always is "Try before you buy (unless you can take it back for a refund if you're not happy)"

Ali

I've never had any experience with the Blackstar but I've got a Marshall Class 5 and I couldn't be happier with it. I did however switch out the tubes with vintage 1965 Telefunken's. The amp lacks reverb, FX loop and such, but it's an awesome little amp. The amp does cleans ok, but nothing like my Fender Dual Showman Reverb. The Marshall crunch is well, the Marshal crunch they are known for. This little amp does get nice and loud, but ear bleeding loud. And you can get some nice good Marshal crunch at medium levels without really disturbing your neighbors too much. I've experimented with a number of pedals to get some uniqe sounds and it's fun to play around with. But like I have read on this forum many times, try before you buy. Everyone has their own tatstes, you just need to find what you like.

Here's my Marshall Class 5 when I first got it and before I switched out the tubes. I couldn't resist opening it up.

Shonie

hi there lads thanks for the reply i really like the marshall the power attenuator will be a good adition to this amp i looked it up on my shops website and their version doesnt have one next time in ill ask them about it.Im starting to think im just after the marshall because like what Ali said ( its a marshall ) 400 euros is a lot of money for a speaker if i have to reduce the power to 1 watt to get the sound i want i think the blackstar might be more what im after.I seen a fender class A 5watt the other day that looks good to heres the add for it.

FENDER VIBROCHAMP - Hybrid tube amp with a digital fx engine. Part of the Vintage Modified Series.

The Vibro Champ of the 1960s and ‘70s was an upgraded version of the venerable Fender Champ amp. Its no-nonsense styling, small size, low output, and great tube tone (including “Vibrato” effect) has been enjoyed by countless guitarists...beginners and seasoned pros alike. The Vibro Champ XD amplifier takes the vintage formula into a new era by combining a real tube amp with up-to-date “extras” like versatile amp voicing and effects. The inclusion of solid-state overdrive and distortion eliminates many of the preamp tube problems that plague tube lovers, while providing tones for blues, rock, country, jazz, metal, and more. Recording and practice sessions come alive with the Fender Vibro Champ XD.

Vintage Modified Series

The Vintage Modified part of the equation for this amp are the two great modifications done to the vintage Vibro Champ. First it's now a 5-Watt Class “A” Tube guitar amplifier with one 6V6 power tube, one 12AX7 preamp tube, an 8 inch Special Design speaker. Fender makes it so that the preamp tube isn't used to create high gain distortion, this increases tonal versatility while tube reliability is improved. It also makes it perfect for recording and practice. A 16-position “Voicing” knob with a myriad of clean and distorted preamp voices provides the quality and reliability in tone for that great overdriven sound at lower volumes.

Shonie i believe the marshall's a class amp but like you say i'll have to play them all to see what takes to my ear the best because i really don't want to buy an amp that i'll out grow in a year or two.I just wish i could go into the shop and let rip on them all but when i plug it in at the shop i forget everything i can play.maybe i'll have a few beers first that might help lol

Laney do a few good valve amps ............the cub12r caught my eye, not actually played one, but i like Laney amps

the 12r has a 0.75watt setting and reverb

http://www.laney.co....php?prod=cub12r

also the Marshall class 5's low watt setting is 0.50watt i think

Paul........

That 12R sounds awesome! Now I want to go try one out! Thanks for the link!

They really should include the foot switch though.

Shonie

Laney do a few good valve amps ............the cub12r caught my eye, not actually played one, but i like Laney amps

the 12r has a 0.75watt setting and reverb

http://www.laney.co....php?prod=cub12r

also the Marshall class 5's low watt setting is 0.50watt i think

Paul........

aye paul the laney is a nice amp i watched some reviews on ytube and it sounds just what im after but i checked all local shops they dont have them in stock.

Thats one cool amp shonie i love the colour you don't often see a white amp i've read that its hard to change the tubes on the marshall would it be expencive to bring it to the shop and have them changed when the time comes.

I have the Vibro Champ XD's big brother the Super Champ XD and it's a wonderful amp. You can lower the volume and crank the gain. With the voicing you can get pretty much any tone you want. I don't hesitate to recommend it for someone trying to cover a lot of tones without a pedal board.

I have the Vibro Champ XD's big brother the Super Champ XD and it's a wonderful amp. You can lower the volume and crank the gain. With the voicing you can get pretty much any tone you want. I don't hesitate to recommend it for someone trying to cover a lot of tones without a pedal board.

thanks for the reply fly i'm pretty sure im going to go with the vibro champ now it looks and sounds like what im after one question though it has 16 voices can you make them all sound clean with the gain and volume nob i like to play with nice gain but i like the option of clean to ? your opion or anyone else's is very much appreciatted. :thumbup1:

How clean it gets depends on the voice. There are some very nice blackface cleans. IIRC the voice modes go like this...

Note: multiples of same Fender amp model have increased gain, so the cleanest is the lowest number

1 - Tweed

2 - Tweed

3 - Tweed

4 - Blackface

5 - Blackface

6 - Blackface

7 - Vox

8 - Marshall dark (good for single coils)

9 - Marshall bright (good for humbuckers)

10 - Hot Rod

11 - Hot Rod

12 - Hot Rod

13 - High Gain (haven't messed with high gain much, so can't recall the diff between the two-probably EQ)

14 - High Gain

15 - Jazz

16 - Acoustasonic (great for plugging in an acoustic or electric with piezo)

I have played through the Blackstar - sounded great! it depend son where you will be playing with it. Small gigs and at home would be ideal, it may struggle in bigger venues...but you can always use a bigger speaker cab to get more air moving.

thanks for the reply folks i'll be happy as long as i can get one good clean setting out of it and i'll only play at home and the odd party so i think it should be plenty loud

Well i got the vibro champ xd last week and i could'nt be happier this thing sounds great i havent played with all the voicings yet there are 16 to get througth so it will take awhile :D i can't believe how loud it sounds for a five watt amp i think it sounds nearly as loud as the mustang 40 watt if thats possible. hope to record something at the weekend when i get back home to see if it sounds better through my pc speakers. :rockon:

thanks shonnie the more i play it the better it sounds funny i started this thread asking about the marshall and i bought a fender but the 3 voices i mostly play with are based on the marshall tone.

have'nt reorded anything yet cause i'm looking at a few mics hopefully coming in the next few weeks.

i sold the acoustic last week and i had my nails cut of before the fellow was out the door in his car i hated them that much lol. im looking at another one but it'll be a while before i can buy it but i read a rewiew somewhere it sounds great through voice 16 i look foward to trying it out guess i have to grow the dreaded nails again can't think of anything i'd like to do less.