jcb3030

Amp advice

I need an amp, mostly for practice at home but ideally loud enough for playing with a garage band (including drummer).

I've been looking at Fender Mustang I (20 watts). Not sure that will be loud enough. Any other suggestions? Price range up to $150. Thanks.

• Like 1

Any 20 watt amp will be more than loud enough for home use. Choose one with the features you're looking for, and at least a 8" speaker, few if any will carry a larger one, and it will sound better than a 5 or 6"er. I had a Fender Frontman 25R that i am sorry I ever sold, and they're only $99 US.

i have a mustang 40 watt and it never goes past 3 on the volume they are great amps and very cheap.I've got no doubt that even the 20 watts will be way to loud for the house so i would'nt worry about the volume.

Twenty watts of tube amp(even 10-15) given a 10-12" speaker, yes, SS, probably not unless you're into something like a jazz trio. Even then, it would be lacking in anything but a small venue.

i'd agree with GotDeeBlues, unless it's valve...... 20w probably not ideal...........the Mustang 40w that Micky mentioned sounds better, i seen the mustang II with fx etc..for £150 new.....12 inch speaker and a closed back, better for projection in a band scenario, would be worth looking at preloved/used amps to get more for your money

i have a VC15w Laney valve amp with a 10 inch speaker....this is loud enough to play with drums etc....but it's cranked....ideal for a valve amp

i had a VC30 with 12 inch speaker and gigged with it....never got past 3 on the volume with that (clean channel) a really loud amp, as it was class A, the VC15 is class A/B.........i assume it's less resistance in the circuit which makes it class A, and must give a stonger signal...something

i had a 50w JCM 800 Marshall head and 4x12 .....years ago, gigged it, loved it.....too big tho

i also used a Fender performer1000 100w 12 inch hybrid combo for a while....good amp, renamed the rocpro1000, they done a 75w version too, worth looking out for used ones

Paul............

I'd like to go with a SS.

What's the least number of watts needed for playing with a band in a small venue? 30? 40? I'm on tight budget.

Really...it will mostly be used for practicing at home. I just wanted to get something that could grow with me if I ever did play in a band situation.

The 40w Mustang II looks great, but it's a bit more than I'd like to spend. Any used SS suggestions?

Wattage is only one indicator of an amp's output. A lot of watts and inefficient speaker =poor performance. Other factors would be what other instruments you would have to contend with, size of the venue, type of music being played. I can tell you that my 20 watt Roland with an 8" speaker is loud enough for standard/jazz, soft rock kind of stuff with a bass and keboard in a community clubhouse as well as my 50 watt Fender Princeton Chorus ( 2x25w)stereo w/ 2- 10" if we have a drummer. To double volume for a given amp, you need nearly 10X the wattage, Many players I know use 15 watt tube amps into 12-15" cabinets and can scream. So to get a long term amp at this stage, I would look into something in the 30-50 combo range. Remember, used amps can be a great value, and get you more amp for your budget. Don't get hung up solely on wattage, read reviews, and you'll wind up with a good, serviceable amp which may last you a lifetime for practice or a quick jam, if you go bigger and better in years to come. Research maker's web sites for models, find those that seem to fit your needs and check E-Bay, a great source for used guitar stuff. Let us know how you make out, we'll help if we can.

found this on ebay (i'm assuming you're in the US) $150 buy it now price, brand new unused

post-76128-0-92454800-1319473085.jpg

The Raven RG60 is perfect for rehearsal and small club performances. With 60 watts of power pumping through a custom-design 12" speaker, you'll have enough volume to get yourself heard. The aggressive distortion has an "in-your-face" attitude, and the built-in tuner provides pitch-perfect performance. The Raven RG60 is designed to work well with your effects pedals and it switches easily from rhythm to lead with an optional 2-button footswitch.60 Watts RMS 12" Speaker 2 footswitchable channels (footswitch NOT included) Gain, Volume, 3-band EQ in Distortion Mode Volume and separate 3-band EQ in clean mode Reverb (footswitchable) Built-In chromatic tuner Extension speaker jack (wired in series) Effects Loop

Paul...............

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raven-RG60-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier-/200663174476?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb8750d4c the link

For $150 a used Peavey Bandit (80/100 watts @ 8/4 ohms) will give you plenty of power and decent sound. Pushing a SS amp to get volume usually results in some harsh tones. So you are better off going for plenty of watts in a SS amp.

i forgot to tell you the mustang is the best sounding amp ive played on BUT sounds horrible with your mp3 player the worst i've ever played with and theres no nob to adjust the mids it has to be connected to computer to adjust.