justanorthernlight

Strings for an acoustic?

So, I have been playing viola and piano for the better part of eight years now, and recently decided to pick up guitar for the versatility. My grandmother gave me her old classical acoustic to learn on, but one of the strings is broken. I was looking up replacement strings and saw that they should be either nylon or steel and I'm not quite sure which kind my guitar is supposed to take because right now three of them are nylon and three of them are steel. :dunno:

post-112074-0-35525500-1317863707.jpg

post-112074-0-04695400-1317863720.jpg

Thank you so much for your help.

They are as follows from bottom up.

E - Nylon

B - Nylon

G - Silk and Steel wound

D - Silk and Steel wound

A - Silk and Steel wound

E - Slik and Steel wound

Hope that helps.

Yes you should. Just buy strings for a classical guitar they are just as I described.

Any of these will do that mention Classical Guitar Strings

Slik and Steel means, Silk core on the inside and wound with Steel on the out side.

Steel guitar strings have an inner core of steel and wound with steel. they are too heavy to put on a classical guitar mostly due to the fact that the classical guitar has a thinner top and its bracing is completly different.

http://www.google.co...iw=1479&bih=883

What Eddie says - you have a classical 'nylon string' guitar which means it has 3 nylon stings and 3 steel strings. You should get a 'set' of Classical strings and replace them all. They are usually a bit more expensive than acoustic steel string sets, but probably last longer - and are easier to play. They sometimes come in the choice of Bright or Standard or something, I just get the cheapest. :)

Before you take the old strings off, check out how they are fixed at both ends, especially the bridge end with loops to secure them. There are videos on how to do it on youtube - maybe here as well? not sure - but if you see how it's done it's not hard to do.

The strings will stretch a lot when new and will go constantly flat for a few days. You can 'stretch them out' a bit after you've put them on to minimise this by grabbing each string between thumb and fingers (both hands) and stretch (push) the strings along their length with your thumbs against the grip of your fingers.