Beggininchick

To buy or to Rent an electric?

I am a beginer. I played a 20 dollar acoustic whenI was 7 and kept on wanting to play the hit songs, but iwas to uncomfortable to hold my 3/4 guitar. Now, i want an electric, but my parents say we should rent one for now, but the guitar i want is only 160 and the guitar dude said he could get us everything else we need for 250. I think that is a good deal! Most of the time you have to rent for 3 months so i wold have to wait. I don't want some werdios ld used guitar to rent i want the green sparkly fender. PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION ANY OPINOIN ISVALUED!

karcey    42

Your parents probably don't think you'll stick at it, and they may be right. Only you know how serious you are.

If you're desperate to play, you'll use anything you can get your hands on, rented, borrowed or used. Do you want to have a good guitar, or play good guitar music? If it's the music you're after then I'd recommend spending your money on some lessons, and then buy a good guitar when you can play well enough.

It can be a bit of a risk buying a guitar before you've played, because there are so many to choose from you can't be really sure which one will suit you best. Too many beginners buy guitars that other people recommend, and then they give up because it's the wrong one for them.

Let's see what others think.

• Like 1

eddiez152    129

Three years ago one young family member started asking her mom and dad for an electric guitar. Swore she would learn to play with the help of her friends. For Christmas I went to Guitar Center and she got her wish. A brand new junior Red Strat , total investment 200.00 for the elec. guitar and 260.00 for the amp. She played it for a month and then it just laid there. Thinking all was lost, her brother picked it up for a while. Must have though it was about as easy as playing (Guitar Idol), that lasted for a week.

A year ago she was in her second year of high school and she started a guitar music class. Again she asked if she could get an acoustic guitar to play at school. I gave her a sunburst 00. Even the teacher was impressed she said. The results were rather surprising. She took classes, learned to play a little, and posted her first tune on You Tube with a friend. Now the class lasted for her first semester. And thats about long her enthusiasm for the guitar. Today, it just lays there in the case.

Now another family member also had an interest in learning to play guitar. I gave him my Alvarez acoustic and again hoping for the best. He played it for a year, saved his money and bought himself a Les Paul electric and loves playing the guitar.

As Karcey said "Only your know how serious you are on this subject. So.

See if one of your friends has a guitar he or she can loan you, learn a song or two in the privacy of your own room, and when your ready have your folks sit down and listen to your success. Maybe even post something here.

You never know, Christmas is just around the corner. :yes:

You guys are very right. I talked to my mom and she said we can rent until christmas. If anyone has more comments i am still open to hearing them though. Also if you could give me some tips that would be great thanks!

carol m    64

I can't really add to the above comments - all good. And there is something to be said in favor of going the way your parents suggest on this, whatever it is, because it still results in you actually playing a guitar of some sort. Why? Because agreement now gives you bargaining 'leverage' with this later on, or with other matters/deals. :devil2:

• Like 1

karcey    42

OK Beggininchick, Here's a trap I want you to avoid.

Many people want to be able to make music like their favourite groups. So they get an electric guitar and start to learn. What they don't think about, is the number of players it takes to make that music in the first place. The group may have two or even three guitarists plus a bass player, a drummer of course, and from time to time other instruments too. Added to that, an amp for everyone for that special sound and a high priced sound technician who stitches it all together.

Our guitar students, even after a year by themselves, can't make the same sound so they lose interest.

The electric guitar you want is a lovely instrument but in itself will only make some of the sound you want to hear. If you want to specialize in lead or rhythm and get some friends together to make up a band, then that's great. If you accept that you can get a pile of backing tracks and play over them, then that's also great. What you'll need right from the start is someone (a teacher) to show you how it's done. Electric is fun to make weird sounds, but not the best for making recognizable music by itself.

We'd like you to be serious and stick around. There's lots of experience here that we can share with you. What we don't want is to see you disappointed and give up.

Keep in touch.

• Like 1

mset3    158

Beggininchick,

Ask your parents if you can take lessons at the guitar rental store. Get started the right way and who knows there may be a nice Fender in your future.

Mike

Thanks guys,

I am now renting and taing lessons at the same place. I am intrested in playing sugarland music and my teacher said tht was his favoite and he'll be glad to teach me. Currently I am learning Em and A7. Hooray. Sianara!

Green sparkly? Arrghhh!

Lol, just kidding,,,:D

Too late for advice on the original topic, but I'm in agreement with your folks. Hope you'll give it a good shot...it ain't easy at first what with sore fingers and a little confusion, but it'll come together. Good luck!

• Like 1

JessThrasher    10

Sounds like you are comming along! Just stick with what you enjoy, that's my best recommendation.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask them. That's what the forum is here for.