- - - - -

how do i put this with lyrics ?

12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:20 AM

Hey all . Been away for a while ..... works been busy and haven't had much free time. But I slowly have still been trying to figure this guitar playing out. So I came up with this little progression I guess you could call it. It's a little rough with some sour spots but I did it first thing this morning and just recorded it real quick. I guess my first question is does it work and then the next is how would you sing to it.... would kind of melody would the singer sing to it ? I was trying to go for a country(ish) style. lol

Oh and I just bought a new guitar a little while back I'm putting a picture with this post. I love it . It's not a top of the line guitar but it sure feels good, it's a epiphone Wilshire .

Attached Files

Sometimes I sit and think and sometimes I just sit . Mostly I just sit ..... I think

#2 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,021 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:27 AM

Johnny,
Nice guitar there. I hear country rock type rythm. Its great to hear you posting and playing. Keep working it. If you can play and strum chords, you can put together a tune and lyrics.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#3 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:33 AM

I guess my biggest question is how would the melody go for the singer ? Thanks for having a listen Eddie.
Sometimes I sit and think and sometimes I just sit . Mostly I just sit ..... I think

#4 OFFLINE   Chelle E.

• Active Members

• 302 posts
  • Joined 14-September 08

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:51 PM

hv,
It's in your chords, then create phrasing and leave the all important "Space" between.
Nice energy you have going.

#5 OFFLINE   sheraton

• Active Members
  • 1,278 posts
  • Joined 22-August 09

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

Hey dude, good to see you posting (not had much time myself lately) and good to see your playing coming along :smilinguitar:

nice guitar too :yes:
i like this progression you have.............it's hard to express (in text) how the melody would/should/could go......i always go by ear/feel
as Chelle E said it's in your chords........you could try playing a simple melody (on the guitar) over what you have recorded.....then try singing the melody you played....words wouldn't matter at this stage.....just la la la dum de doo de dah etc :guitardude: .....lol

Paul............

#6 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:33 AM

Thanks Chelle and Paul I may have a go at it but im still a little lost on where to begin.

Johnny

#7 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:27 AM

That really rocks along Johnny. Nice playing.

I get the vibe of someone traveling car/train with that tempo/rhythm - maybe that might give some inspiration for words/melody? I think if you listen to your track over and over, and hum/sing to it, a melody line will become clear to you, or at least a phrase or two and then you could fill in the gaps.
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#8 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:29 AM

Ok ya'll I have listened to it over and over and still can't figure out a melody for the singing lol. I need a jump start I think ! I have been playing it over and over on the guitar and still nothing. I wish I knew how to add more guitar parts to give it a bigger sound. I guess i should be lucky I am able to get this much out tho lol.

Johnny

#9 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:03 PM

ok Johnny, I hate to see a man suffer.....so I'll add to your woes with some pretty simple lyric ideas - this is what came to mind after about 8 bars of listening (I'm supposed to be busy :)), so nothing too profound and humming what seemed to me to be the logical way the progression was going.

Tell me that you love me
Tell me that you’re true
Tell me (that) you love me….
…(miss a beat or 4)…Like I love you

tell me where you go each night
tell me what you do
tell me that you love me…..
……as much as I love you

Do you go to see someone
Are you loving someone new?
Tell me that you love me still
As much as I love you

Bridge:
Please don’t break my heart again
Like you did before
Please don’t break my heart again
I can’t take this/it anymore

etc

One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#10 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:01 AM

Hey Carol ! Thanks for seeing my agony lol. I really like the lyrics the problem is how to sing it. You said you were humming a few bars and I guess thats where I need the help. I'm not sure how the melody should go with it. How would you sing the lyrics ? I've been working on the guitar part a lot to improve the playing (as best as my fingers let me anyway) but nothing comes to me on how to sing with it.

Johnny

#11 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:43 PM

Hi Johnny, I listened again for a bit longer - did you notice that at 20secs the drums change and the single drum beats don't really fall on any of the guitar part's beats? Then at 30secs it goes back to the same as the first part. Is that deliberate? It's interesting but unusual.

#12 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:03 AM

Well I hadn't really paid that close attention to it to be honest. It is just a drum loop off my digitech guitar pedal. I really need to get another recording of this that sounds a little better. If I get a chance today I will do that and post it . Don't know if that will help with the drum pattern and guitar tho lol. The drums were really just there for a timing kinda thing for me really.

Johnny

#13 OFFLINE   magentaflame

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 09-November 11

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:32 AM

WOW!!!
I immediately thought of nancy sinatra or johnny cashs' wife...ummm something Carter? Oh yeah you could defo sing to that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users