- - - - -

Gibson learn and master guitar series?

8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   panther

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 13-September 11

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:01 PM

Hello everyone, I recently got my first guitar (acoustic), I've been trying to find material that will help me self teach myself. I came across one that Gibson produced that sounds like it would be a pretty good platform to learn off of. Its called " Gibson learn and master guitar" I forgot who the guy is who instructs it. I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard of it or done it and what you thought of the program? Are there any other programs that work well?
Thanks
-Ryan

#2 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,021 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:08 PM

Have you tied Kirk's lessons here ?<div><br></div><div>Having a problem with the text.<br><div><br><div><br></div><div><br></div>

</div>

</div>
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#3 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,021 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:16 PM

Have you tried Kirk's lessons here ?
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#4 OFFLINE   panther

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 13-September 11

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:40 PM

I've tried them a little bit, I think im going to try it again before making the commitment to buying that whole series

#5 OFFLINE   KevSumac

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 21-September 11

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:58 AM

Had it and sold it on Ebay. Didn't care for it. The problem with most packaged guitar lessons is the content. All will teach the basics and there will be songs taught to help reinforce these basics and to get you playing. Here's the problem. The makers of these lessons do not want to pay royalties to musicians for using their songs in the lessons. Therefor the songs in the lessons are really old public domain songs. This set you are looking at taught Bethoven's "Ode to Joy", the Star Spangled Banner, etc, you get the idea. If this doesn't bother you, go for it. Personally, I wanted more contemporary songs in the lesson plan.

#6 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,021 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:59 PM

In all cases, book and lessons become the foundation of where to begin. You don't get to the good stuff until you get the basics. I do agree that their choice of songs could be better and more with the times. Having said that, One can find hundreds of public domain tunes being played on the guitar right off the net for refererance.
But then again I know this guy that can take a public domain song and turn it into a most interesting arrangement.
An alternative way of learning from books is to buy book written by the artist himself. Did that back in 72 with Gordon Lightfoot and a few others.

#7 OFFLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,382 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:04 PM

Ryan,

I'm not familiar with this course, but most courses start off with the basics and expand from there. Don't get get caught up in the Internet hype that will make you a guitar start in three easy lessons. Playing the guitar takes time, patience and practice. You have to crawl before you can walk. Take your time and you will be playing before you know it. Good luck!

Mike

#8 OFFLINE   Andy S

• Active Members

• 878 posts
  • Joined 26-November 05

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:09 PM

A while ago I downloaded a few of the videos when they were initially posted on Gibsons site. Also downloaded the whoel book as a pdf. He covers the basic stuff needed and seems to do it in a relatively clear manner. You can also learn to read standard notation along with tablature, too. If you are just starting out, it may be a good course for you. Just remember, the songs are older, traditional stuff, only a few relatively modern era tunes. But, he gives you the info needed to be able to move on to song books and with the info you just learned, be able to play newer songs.

That being said, as Eddie pointed out, there are a LOT of beginner lessons here on the site. Many free! You just have to do a little looking. I would think to try the free stuff here first. Maybe also just keep going to the Gibson site and try out the beginner's lessons there. They are posted free, but not all the info is there. If you like his stuff, then purchase it.

Anyway you look at it, it will involve spending some time either looking for specific beginners stuff here or on the Gibson site. But once you find it, it should be easy to look it up again.

Good luck!
Andy S.

#9 OFFLINE   mcollett

• Active Members
  • 145 posts
  • Joined 08-January 06

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:46 PM

Hello Panther,
A fellow at work bought the package this spring and is very happy with it.
Depends on your personality and what you are wanting to accomplish.
This starts at the very basics and you would have a pretty strong foundation if you completed the course. My friend expects maybe 12 -18 months of material.
He had done the lesson thing and was very disenfranchised about the whole experience.
You have a structured lesson written out instead of noodling around for an hour not getting any better (been there)
He said you get a pdf book with the program that basically doubles the package.
Good luck, i'm actually looking at this as an x-mas gift from my kids.
Mike
P.S. if you are a very beginner you may look at Jamie Andreas material. It is totally focused on not forming bad mechanical habits that you waste time unlearning later:)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users