Stu74

3 string cigar box guitar

My son came home from school yesterday and told me his music teacher wants all the kids to make a musical instrument.So we had a look on the internet for some ideas.He soon decided he wants to make a guitar with a shoe box and elastic bands.

When we were on the internet i found out about 3 string cigar box guitars and being the big kid i am i want to build one.I think it will be good fun to build and play.

Has anyone on here ever built one?

Sort of similar..

I built this one a while ago now with my oldest son was a lot of fun Project He's 17 now and still has it proudly on display in his room :winkthumb:

Built a bamboo clarinet with my youngest son for the same school year project 6 months ago , though it should have been simple it was really tricky carving the the mouth piece and just getting it to make it make a sound , the end end result was pretty cool . No pics I'm afraid .

Good luck with the your joint project it's lots of fun doing something cool together :)

i did build one alto I did not use a cigar box, some people do, but I made my own box out of thin plywood, and made the fretboard out of poplar, ordered frets and turners, and it actually sounded pretty good, it was a fun project

you can order parts from (stewart mcdonald)

Ronnie

Ive had a look around my shed and garage for things to use to build the guitar.I want it to be as homemade as possible.Hopefuly only the strings , tuners and amp jack socket will be the only new parts i will have to buy.

We are going to use bolts for the bridge and nut ,nails with the ends snipped off for the frets.

I have got an old tape recorder in my loft that i am going to turn into an amplifier.

I think we might do what you did Ronnie and build our own box instead of buying a cigar box.Atleast making our own cigar box we can make it whatever size and shape we want.

As to the tuners, maybe go with nuts and bolts. Drill a cross hole in the bolt , put the string thru give it a couple turn and lock it down it a nut. Dont forget the whashers in top and bottom of the board. Now thats as raw as it can be.

Our guitar is half way built.We used plywood to build the box rather than buy a cigar box.We ended up buying some tuners rather than use bolts even though i loved the idea.We have also decided to use proper fret wire rather than nails.

When its finished i will put some pictures up.