- - - - -

strings

12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   akhitheft

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 03-September 11

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:23 AM

Anyone please help me...I want to know if I don't have 'e' string its removed or broke...then I want to Put 2nd or 'B' string instead of 'e' string and tune my acoustic guitar to 'B' string to 'e' string....What should I do...? ? ? To which note i should tune it....help!!!

#2 OFFLINE   akhitheft

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 03-September 11

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:24 AM

*that 'B' string to 'e' string ....BOth 1st and 2nd string are the same.. .

#3 ONLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,880 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

Attached File  Guitar string gage typical.jpg   357.93K   0 downloadsHere are the typical string dimensions for guitar. If you look on any sales site for strings you will find their dimensions.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#4 ONLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,880 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:47 AM

Their are distinct differences in string diameters. You would need a caliber or micrometer to check them accuratly.

As to your situation on both strings being the same. If they are both a B string you might break it tuning up to an E. If they are both E strings then you will be a bit loose
using it as a B string.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#5 OFFLINE   akhitheft

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 03-September 11

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:28 AM

View Posteddiez152, on 03 September 2011 - 10:47 AM, said:

Their are distinct differences in string diameters. You would need a caliber or micrometer to check them accuratly.

As to your situation on both strings being the same. If they are both a B string you might break it tuning up to an E. If they are both E strings then you will be a bit loose
using it as a B string.

Sir, I have both B Strings ...I want to use 'B' string as an 'e' string. .. Can i tune 'B' to 'E' and use that B string as an e one...? ?

#6 ONLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,880 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:58 AM

Yes you can. Give you an example:
Lets say your B string in the same size as the lightest of the gage sizes in this case .014 - you can see that it is being used as an E in the heavy gage column also .014

Now lets assume that it is .016 gage - then your beginning to stretch it a bit too much.

I am willing to bet that its probably .014 What kind of guitar do you have ?

You can call me (eddie) Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 645 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:00 PM

aye you can use 2 b strings and just tune them as normal.I broke my e string last weekend at night with no shops open so i had a spare b string and tuned it to e and its still on there now stays in tune fine its just alot harder to bend than normal. :winkthumb:
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. B.B. King

#8 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:31 AM

There are a couple of reasons guitar strings are different thicknesses, and they point to the same result.
Thinner strings can reach higher notes, trying to reach high notes with thick strings will result in them breaking. Using a B to replace an E will be OK (probably).
BUT, you may have noticed that all the strings on your guitar feel about the same tension. If you replace strings wih ones from a different position, you'll get the strings feeling different as far as tension is concerned. You'll still be able to play, but they won't be comfortable. The strings should still be tuned according to their position on the guitar.
First chance you get, put the correct strings back in place ... string swapping is for emergencies only.
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

#9 OFFLINE   akhitheft

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 03-September 11

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:01 AM

View Posteddiez152, on 03 September 2011 - 11:58 AM, said:

Yes you can. Give you an example:
Lets say your B string in the same size as the lightest of the gage sizes in this case .014 - you can see that it is being used as an E in the heavy gage column also .014

Now lets assume that it is .016 gage - then your beginning to stretch it a bit too much.

I am willing to bet that its probably .014 What kind of guitar do you have ?

You can call me (eddie) Posted Image

eddie i have an Acoustic Guitar...See an Image ..and tell me what can I DO. ??.
And my second i.e. B string is of 0.015 inches...

Attached Files

#10 OFFLINE   akhitheft

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 03-September 11

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:06 AM

View Postmicky mac, on 03 September 2011 - 03:00 PM, said:

aye you can use 2 b strings and just tune them as normal.I broke my e string last weekend at night with no shops open so i had a spare b string and tuned it to e and its still on there now stays in tune fine its just alot harder to bend than normal. :winkthumb:

Thnk You..BrO

#11 OFFLINE   akhitheft

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 03-September 11

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:06 AM

View Postkarcey, on 04 September 2011 - 03:31 AM, said:

There are a couple of reasons guitar strings are different thicknesses, and they point to the same result.
Thinner strings can reach higher notes, trying to reach high notes with thick strings will result in them breaking. Using a B to replace an E will be OK (probably).
BUT, you may have noticed that all the strings on your guitar feel about the same tension. If you replace strings wih ones from a different position, you'll get the strings feeling different as far as tension is concerned. You'll still be able to play, but they won't be comfortable. The strings should still be tuned according to their position on the guitar.
First chance you get, put the correct strings back in place ... string swapping is for emergencies only.

Thanks. .

#12 ONLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,880 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

Just got back from a road trip and if the other B is .015 as well, you can use it. But try and replace it with the proper E when you can. It will help in a lot of areas like tension and be a little easier to play.

#13 OFFLINE   akhitheft

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 03-September 11

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:20 AM

View Posteddiez152, on 04 September 2011 - 06:54 PM, said:

Just got back from a road trip and if the other B is .015 as well, you can use it. But try and replace it with the proper E when you can. It will help in a lot of areas like tension and be a little easier to play.
okay..Thank You eddie..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users