6string

NS Mini Headstock tuner

Just read about the NS Mini Headstock tuner, I like that you don't block the display when using it and that you

can keep it on while putting it away in the guitar case,

but

does anyone know its accuracy? I googled around and couldn't find out.

Call me naive ,( Matt your naive) but I always just assumed tuners were accurate.Is that not the case Six?

They are accurate within different percentages. Some are say within plus or minus .5 percent and others may be within plus or minus .1 percent.

I think 6string means "cents" a measurement of frquency, not "percent". Check this out....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cent_(music)

If you can test one locally, you can check it against a tuner you have and trust, also. My Matrix, Korg, Intellitouch, Behringer and built in amp tuner all differ slightly.

I think 6string means "cents" a measurement of frquency, not "percent". Check this out....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cent_(music)

Typical! Musicians have just got to be different, haven't they.....or is it because they are so used to seeing that the fortune collected in their open guitar case always amounts to less than a dollar? :winkthumb:

don't feel bad, Matt, I didn't know either.

It's actually amazing just how much day to day useless information the brain can retain. I have thousands of bits that have never profited me in any way, helped mankind as a rule, raised my level of spirituality, or remotely kept me on the straight and narrow. Unless, of course, by taking up time and space they prevented me from looking into matters better left unsearched. So I leave you now to gather more obscurity.

Call me naive ,( Matt your naive) but I always just assumed tuners were accurate.Is that not the case Six?

I use two electronic tuners. Each of them gives consistent readings, so I'm happy with their accuracy as far as their ability to reproduce the same result is concerned. But one tunes higher than the other. So obviously one is more accurate as far as pitch is concerned. I've never bothered to find out which one (if either) gives the correct pitch, I just seem to remember which one I use with which guitar.

I've just realised what weird behaviour this is. I'll have to test them both and donate the inaccurate one.

I also try to plug into any tuner rather than use the built-in mike feature if possible. I even have a small clip-on sensor for use on the acoustic. I just feel the other method opens you up to stray noises, my Korg is way too sensitive and picks up a good breeze accross the strings from a fan or window. Floor pedal tuners are a blessing and quick to read. As for accurate, their variance will be accross the board and the instument will be in tune to itself, perhaps not EXACTLY perfectly, though. In solo situations, busking, practicing etc, it should not be noticeable, if in a group it may be, so in that setting we just tune to the same tuner, or each other.

I like all my tuners, but I tune to what I am playing to. Example, If I am playing to a cover tune, I tune to it.

If I am playing to my keyboards, then I use that.

I find that after tuning to the tuner, I make adjustments by ear. But at this age I think my ears need a tuneup.

If you can test one locally, you can check it against a tuner you have and trust, also. My Matrix, Korg, Intellitouch, Behringer and built in amp tuner all differ slightly.

um, yah, um, that's what I meant :escape:

I like all my tuners,

I long ago decided my favourite tuner was the one I could actually find, to this day the only Iphone app I really use is the tuner and that's only if the real world tuner has slipped into the abyss in the couch :winkthumb:

Maybe Six's one would be good at least it's attached ,hard to lose a dreadnought in the cushions :weirdeyes:

I think there would be a market for a tuner with a large cent error (shows it's perfectly in tune even if it's 3 cent out) so you'd be perfectly happy and confident the strings were in tune and you wouldn't end up spending half a day checking and analysing all your different tuners before you could start playing? Yes, some insensitivity might be a blessing - bet you never thought I'd say that - well, I didn't either. Then if, by some miracle :) (speaking for myself), you happen to notice a string might sound a bit off you turn the tuner till it sounds ok.

I have one tuner, a Fender, and if the guitar sounds ok after using it, it is ok - at least for everyday playing. I had a Korg tuner once and gave it away because the needle swung so widely around the In-tune mark, I had no clue if the guitar was in tune or not when using it. I think it was their cheapest model.

What I do find a tuner useful for is to compensate a bit of intonation problems - usually the B string over the first 3-5 frets. I tune it slightly flat at the nut so it's slightly less sharp on the first few frets.

I usually use the build in tuner in my amp and it seems to be pretty accurate. I also just purchased a clip-on ZoiD Z-1000 by Sabine. Pretty simple to use. In addition to a needle reading, the display turns red when out of tune and green when in tune. I compared it with my amp tuner and they are both very close.

Mike