donwin4

Old beginner

donwin4    0

Good morning. I am really old! Over 80 & been fooling around with guitars off & on over the years. Been three yrs now since I last played - Only know a few cords and can't do much. However, now I have some time and am getting interested again. One problems is I have an old cheap 3/4 guitar the other problem is I have up to now not been disciplined enough to attain any degree of skill. I am interested in getting a unit primarily for my own instruction & listening. No playing for anyone else. Since I'm not certain of my ability to commit and how long I will last on this earth! I would prefer not to spend more than $200. But I don't want to waste on junk either. As far as trying in stores etc. My skill level is so low that I would be embarrassed to do much. Some that have been suggested to me Yamaha JR1, Johnson 535S, Yamaha Gigmaker kits Any Yamaha with solid top, etc. Any and all help appreciated. Old Joe

GotDeeBlues    3

The Yamahas are great value. We have one of their less expensive models in the family for over 25 years, and at least 5 of us started learning with it. It still has an honored place over at the beach house. For under $150 you can get a Yammie that's a good guitar for your needs. You might also consider a used guitar as well, they can offer very good bang for the buck. Do not be embarassed to try a shop in your area. Local shops are great on service and advice.

eddiez152    129

Old Joe,

Welcome to this community forum. I'm thinking a good used guitar as well. Get hurt yourself with a decent classical either, might be easier on the fingers too.

Bless you delightful enthusiasm.

karcey    42

G'day Joe, Welcome to our community.

My experience with music stores has never been embarrassing, in fact quite the opposite. Generally, everyone who sells guitars is old enough to play well, but young enough to remember the time when they couldn't play at all. I used to start off by saying I couldn't play a note, then ask their advice, tell them the ones I liked the look of, and ask them to play so I could hear the sound. Very few have ever been pushy. They were happy to oblige my requests, because not only do they make a sale, they develop an on-going relationship with the buyer that goes on and on. There are exceptions of course, but when you detect that lack of care in the sales staff, you move on somewhere else. And there's always somewhere else to go.

The quality of guitars has increased magically over the years. The guitars made in China, Korea or Vietnam for example, are often made with the most modern computer controlled machinery and achieve tolerances never achievable before except in the most expensive instruments. Price no longer indicates quality of sound.

Don't discount everything that has a plywood (sorry "laminate") top. The main difference between solid and plywood is the length of time the notes ring out and to a lesser extent, the 'fullness' of the sound. Now, in a side by side comparison you can hear the difference, but playing by yourself at home, it's not the most important feature. The feel of the neck, the weight of the guitar, the colour and finish are all things that'll make you believe the one you choose is better for you than the others. While I realise every pianist deserves a Steinway, we all know that even lesser pianos can make nice music. Same with guitars. It will be your friend, your confidant, the one who shares your frustration and musical success. It will be the only one who you will happily share your mistakes with. So make sure you don't buy one just because it costs more. I don't care what brand you buy, if you like the instrument you'll do well with it.

I'm happy to hear you're getting interested again. We'll be here at this forum to help you along whenever we can.

Keep in touch.

ronnie    4

hello joe,and welcome, your not alone, Im no spring chicken for sure but still love to pick for my own enjoyment, I agree with what all the above say, you can find a pretty good used guitar that woul be in that price range, however my experence with Johnson guitars was trouble staying tuned , think Id try for maybe a yamaha, Ive seen used epiphones for around $250. hope you find one you like

Ronnie

carol m    64

Since no one else has mentioned it yet, I will - we have many people joining us here and they say things like 'I'm 35 years old - is this too old to start to learn guitar?'

Or things like 'I'm really old, I'm 38' so when I started to read your post I was thinking 'oh yeah? Really? Here's another young'un thinking he's old' ..... well, you surprised me alright - made my morning in fact - yes, you are quite old, but it doesn't sound like that will stop you doing anything - pole dancing might be a step too far. Congratulations on continuing to think 'young', refusing to do what most people expect of you, and having the guts to tell us about something that some unkind, prejudiced, stupid....I could go on :) ....'people' might ridicule - that'll never happen around here - welcome Old Joe/Don: twanger and proud! :punk:

donwin4    0

Thank's all for the information & encouragement. Although old I'm still in fairly good shape. That said, my hands and fingers are weak and my mind does not function as well as I'd like. I'll keep lurking around here & in the mean time I'm building my fingertips up with a decent electric that I have but don't have any desire to play. At under $200 any suggestions as to which Yammie I might look for -considering needing a light touch & having weak hands? Thanks again Old Joe

carol m    64

Have you decided you definitely want a steel string, or is a nylon string guitar an option? Most people think a nylon string guitar is easier on the fingers but the sort of music you'd like to play might influence what sort you get - that said, I've never seen Willie Nelson play anything other than a nylon string guitar.

Also, do you want a guitar with an electric option which would allow you to record easily and post your achievements here online - or anywhere.

Also, do you want one with a cut-away shape for easier access to the high frets?