Alanbama

Compression For Acoustic

carol m    64

Hi Ronnie, a compressor is an audio modelling device that evens out the high and low end of audio by squashing the audio signal - that's about all I know about them but I think Tekker explains it very well in his lessons here on this site. I'm sure there will be other people can answer Alan's question with more info than I have - which is none. :winkthumb:

Alanbama    0

With a compressor you can level your sound as Carol said, or use it to increase sustain dramaticly. Thats what I'm experimenting with. It changes the sound of your pick attack. I use them with my electrics.

Doug    12

I know that some pros use them for recording acoustic. I used one a few times when I was trying to record flamenco guitar - there is such a huge dynamic range in flamenco guitar and I found that without the compressor, I'd overdrive the signal on the loud parts. But it generally sits on my shelf.

OldG    3

I got a rack size 2 channel compressor for playing live, it evens things out very nicely without affecting tone (if used gently) - just the job for vocals too...

It means you don't have to work in a small 'sweet spot' when you sing live and you can relax a little on the guitar as the volume stays at a steadier level.

scotty_b    16

HI

I know this reply is a little late, but I am not sure if your question was ever answered.

It depends on what you wish to compress. I use compression all the time with my electrics setup as the first effect, to provide more signal going into the other effects and then the front end of the amp.

With an acoustic I normally place the acoustic close to the first place in the chain for recording (don't use one live) to even out the signal before using EQ, reverb etc. I also tend to record with effects in a signal chain that can be turned on or off as needed, until all instruments are recorded and I am about to start mixing the track.