a mic for recording

18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 645 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:51 PM

hi folks i'm going to buy a mic this week to record my acoustic guitar and maybe my amp sometimes there are a couple in my local shop in my price range which is not much only 50-60 euros only problem i dont know anything about microphones so im hoping someone on here can recomend one that might be the best out of these
http://www.waltons.i...w.aspx?id=27923

http://www.waltons.i...w.aspx?id=10846

http://www.waltons.i...w.aspx?id=10863

http://www.xmusic.ie...-J-p-20329.html

any recomendation would be great as i know completely nothing about them maybe someone could pic the better one by looking at the specs of them.ps i know in that price range they won't be anything special. :helpsmili
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. B.B. King

#2 ONLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,879 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:47 PM

No 3-4 on the list
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#3 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 645 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:52 AM

thanks eddie would i just connect them to the line in or the mic imput of pc or could i get a fitting to connect to my camera.
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. B.B. King

#4 ONLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,225 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:32 AM

Hi Micky - start here: Tekker's Lessons Microphones

Then explore here: Recording Review

You have to join up for the second one but it's free. The main thing to understand from the start is that condenser mics require an audio interface that has a phantom power option. If you are just starting out at recording you should read some other of Tekker's lessons, and also the Home Recording Review site which has more info than anyone could possibly need, and ask us as well of course.
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#5 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 645 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:06 AM

View Postcarol m, on 02 August 2011 - 04:32 AM, said:

Hi Micky - start here: Tekker's Lessons Microphones

Then explore here: Recording Review

You have to join up for the second one but it's free. The main thing to understand from the start is that condenser mics require an audio interface that has a phantom power option. If you are just starting out at recording you should read some other of Tekker's lessons, and also the Home Recording Review site which has more info than anyone could possibly need, and ask us as well of course.
THANKS carol i do realise this is a massive subject and theres lots of information there to keep me reading for the rest of the day and i will but after just reading some of it i'm not sure now if i can go out today and buy a mic and start recording with out a new soundcard ? does this mean i can't record like my electric guitar into programs like reaper,audacity or windows movie maker. I really just want it to record a few songs i can play for myself or record a few rythm tracks to play along to at the minute i can only use my mustang amp and to me without dist or overdrive just strumming chords on it sounds horrible.

#6 OFFLINE   Tekker

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 1,396 posts
  • Joined 17-June 06

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:29 AM

Hey Micky,

If your acoustic guitar has a pickup in it, then you can simply plug this into the line input of your sound card to record without a mic. You can also do this with the electric as well. You can plug your electric straight into your sound card (line input) and then use free amp simulation software to add distortion and pretty much any effects you could think of.

If your acoustic does not have a pickup, then you could either buy a pickup for it or buy a mic. In this case a pickup may be more useful because you could also use the guitar live when you play out as you can plug it directly into the sound system. And you won't have to worry too much about needing an interface for a condenser mic. An audio interface will sound much better than the stock PC sound card, but you can always add an interface later down the road if you want to upgrade the sound quality. The pickup will get you going for around the price of one of the mics that you posted (depending on the pickup).

Hope that helps.
-tkr
'Cause I don't wanna read the book, I'll watch the movie.

Tekker's Lessons on GfB&B: Music Theory, Recording, and General Guitar

#7 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 645 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:39 AM

thanks for the reply tekker i have a cheap sound hole pickup but it has a bigger jack than mu computer takes how would i connect it do you think it is possible to connect through my amp but bypass the amp models and effects.

#8 OFFLINE   Tekker

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 1,396 posts
  • Joined 17-June 06

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:27 PM

View Postmicky mac, on 06 August 2011 - 05:39 AM, said:

thanks for the reply tekker i have a cheap sound hole pickup but it has a bigger jack than mu computer takes how would i connect it do you think it is possible to connect through my amp but bypass the amp models and effects.
You can still plug it directly into the sound card without the amp. That will probably give the best clean sound for the acoustic. The acoustic pickup is 1/4" and the line input on the sound card is 1/8" so all you need is a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, which you can get at Radio Shack for like $3 or $4.

Here's the adapter that you need:
http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B00006HOIW

-tkr

#9 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 645 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:13 AM

View PostTekker, on 06 August 2011 - 11:27 PM, said:

You can still plug it directly into the sound card without the amp. That will probably give the best clean sound for the acoustic. The acoustic pickup is 1/4" and the line input on the sound card is 1/8" so all you need is a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, which you can get at Radio Shack for like $3 or $4.

Here's the adapter that you need:
http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B00006HOIW

-tkr
Cheers tekker i didnt realise i could do that thanks for the info also love your lessons it really is amazing the work you folks put into the lessons on this site so thanks to everyone for the great effort much appreciated. :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

#10 OFFLINE   Tekker

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 1,396 posts
  • Joined 17-June 06

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:07 AM

You're welcome. Glad you enjoyed the lessons. :)

-tkr

#11 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 645 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:58 PM

well i just picked up a cheapo mic today can't believe it took me so long after starting this thread i guess i just put it to the back of my list.The kids had great fun singing all day through the amp (my god whoever invented justin bieber needs shot ) lol.I've been sat here singing for the last hour and believe me i can't sing havent tried it with the amp yet its to late at night but looking forward to trying it out tomorrow. I think my first song victim's going to be hurt by johnny cash as theres not much singing in it. Can anyone recomend some similar songs that you dont need a good voice for that are kind of easy to play.

Micky

#12 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

I cant sing either but some songs are more suited for my voice than others.Maybe try and find songs that dont have much singing in maybe try lots of different songs by different singers to find ones you can sound ok singing.
A couple of david gray songs and a simple
minds song are the the only ones ive found that i feel comfortable trying to sing.
I will get back to you though if i can think of a song with few words in.

#13 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 645 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

cheers stu, i like david grey he has some great songs as long as you don't listen a full album in the one go or i'd need to see a shrink lol.funny though i never tried any of his songs on guitar i'll see if i can get the chords to some of his songs and try them. :thumbup1:

#14 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:23 AM

I have have come up with a solution for us people that cant sing.Just cheat like most so called singers do these days.
AUTO-TUNE 
Most of the singers that are out now use it for there recordings.
Rhianna,Katy Perry,Beyonce,Glee,Britney Spears, the list goes on.
I better stop now i can feel a rant coming on.

#15 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:30 AM

Micky if you want to try a David Gray song i like playing This Years Love.
I think its his best song by far and it is very easy to sing.

#16 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,872 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:00 AM

Try Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls, Micky, that chap on the XFactor Frankie who can't sing a note sang it and it sounded ok, it's one of those songs you can talk your way through. you're voice will get better as it's used more, when I started singing again I sounded appalling, I'm still not great but I just enjoy singing, I walk around the house singing, I get complaints on a regular basis, recording can also depend on where you are in the house too, every room has a different resonance, the bathroom can have loads of reverb while a living room with furniture and carpets can eat up all the sound, I have a brilliant spot halfway up the stairs but it's a bitch to record there :yes:
You don't stop laughing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop laughing.

#17 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 645 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:37 PM

View PostStu74, on 22 January 2012 - 03:23 AM, said:

I have have come up with a solution for us people that cant sing.Just cheat like most so called singers do these days.
AUTO-TUNE 
Most of the singers that are out now use it for there recordings.
Rhianna,Katy Perry,Beyonce,Glee,Britney Spears, the list goes on.
I better stop now i can feel a rant coming on.

feel free to rant stu i don't mind, thats a good idea auto tune i've heard of it just not sure how it works i'll have a look and see if i can find a site that lets me borrow it lol. ;)

#18 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 645 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

View Poststarsailor, on 22 January 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

Try Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls, Micky, that chap on the XFactor Frankie who can't sing a note sang it and it sounded ok, it's one of those songs you can talk your way through. you're voice will get better as it's used more, when I started singing again I sounded appalling, I'm still not great but I just enjoy singing, I walk around the house singing, I get complaints on a regular basis, recording can also depend on where you are in the house too, every room has a different resonance, the bathroom can have loads of reverb while a living room with furniture and carpets can eat up all the sound, I have a brilliant spot halfway up the stairs but it's a bitch to record there :yes:

i always liked iris just never played it before i got the chords earlier its nice and simple to play didnt try singing it yet i need an empty house before i can sing tnx for the recomend,il ave to try out the different rooms for recording but i think i'll give the stairs a miss you could get hurt in my house on the stairs lol :escape:

#19 OFFLINE   MarkHenry

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Joined 06-April 12

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:58 AM

As per my opinion No. 3 will be good one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users