I feel like giving up.......

42 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,326 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:12 AM

Atldeville,

It sounds like you are trying too hard and are becoming disappointed with the results. Learning the guitar is a progression from the basics to the more difficult. Take small steps by first learning some basic chords to some easy songs. Sing along and make it fun. Practice as much as time will allow and before you know it, you will make a lot of progress. Stick with it and you will be pleased with the results.

Mike

#22 OFFLINE   atldeville

• Active Members
  • 61 posts
  • Joined 03-July 11

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:57 PM

View Postmset3, on 08 August 2011 - 09:12 AM, said:

Atldeville,

It sounds like you are trying too hard and are becoming disappointed with the results. Learning the guitar is a progression from the basics to the more difficult. Take small steps by first learning some basic chords to some easy songs. Sing along and make it fun. Practice as much as time will allow and before you know it, you will make a lot of progress. Stick with it and you will be pleased with the results.

Mike

just got back into it yesterday after a couple weeks of frustrating. NOT gonna give up...........

#23 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,002 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:46 PM

Simple stuff first even if its corny. Then you will begin to hear progress. Try it...!
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#24 OFFLINE   atldeville

• Active Members
  • 61 posts
  • Joined 03-July 11

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:50 AM

View Posteddiez152, on 13 September 2011 - 11:46 PM, said:

Simple stuff first even if its corny. Then you will begin to hear progress. Try it...!

Thats what im doing. I think it was a good thing for me to put it down for a little while, because not playing reminded me of WHY i started in tne first place...

#25 OFFLINE   6string

• Active Members
  • 4,000 posts
  • Joined 31-July 04

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:02 PM

If guitar was easy they'd call it Advanced Nuclear Physics.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you’ve heard this bull before.

#26 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,002 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:06 PM

View Post6string, on 14 September 2011 - 02:02 PM, said:

If guitar was easy they'd call it Advanced Nuclear Physics.

You got that right. Its not that its hard, but tell that to my fingers and see if they hear you cause they dont always listen to me. Posted Image
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#27 OFFLINE   lorsban

• Active Members
  • 137 posts
  • Joined 05-August 08

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:13 AM

You have to learn how to walk before you can run. I know this is as cliche as it gets but it's true.

When I started on guitar, I didn't do anything but play stuff on just one string, things like the bass line of with or without you, the ordinary world melody, etc...

Then I learned about power chords and that really opened up my world because now I can "almost" play along to my favorite tunes, which at that time were stuff like smells like teen spirit, black sabbath etc...

Point is, we all have to start somewhere. And just remember, we're doing this for fun. 20+ years on and I still suck! haha! But I love playing the guitar. There's always something new.

#28 OFFLINE   dutchman063

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 65 posts
  • Joined 09-February 07

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

View Postatldeville, on 31 July 2011 - 07:00 PM, said:

this is soo much more than i thought..... im at a stage in life where i want relaxation and fun, and when i play the guitar, it ruins my day and get me depressed. i hate to sound this way, but i have to speak the truth...the technical part of this is hard and i feel like i wasting time..

Ive been there and have given up, when i recently came back i watched some of this guys videos, he gives great advice

#29 OFFLINE   Tribe1

• Active Members
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 13-December 10

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:15 PM

atldeville ...... Mate don't give up. I've been learning for about a year now, and at the beginning I never though my fingers would move fast enough to play a tune, but trust me it happens almost that you don't notice. It gets smoother and it does get easier with practice, just keep doing it and it will happen. One thing I would say is take your guitar to a tech or a shop and get a proper setup done on it. I have a £100 Fender acoustic that played like a dog, spent £40 on a setup and it plays real easy now. Ok tonally it isn't the best but it makes a world of difference to playability .

#30 OFFLINE   GeoNjules

• Active Members
  • 269 posts
  • Joined 27-October 06

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:33 AM

Maybe this will inspire you.Posted Image
" I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken"

#31 OFFLINE   Alvomania

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 29-January 12

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:29 PM

Just remember this, even the simplest of styles can sound amazing! :) corny, i know but true!

here is a tutorial, it's NOT easy, but once u've mastered it, everything else with feel easy :)

#32 OFFLINE   nbwriter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 20-January 12

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

Hi Guys....

I'd like to ask why Atldeville took up the axe? Who inspired you? What kind of guitar bands do you dig?

My way into music was "Beatles Complete" that had all their original chords and notes listed - No tabs - I could never understand those.. Hee Hee... Later, I found out The Beatles would do 10 or more "drafts" (or takes) before a tune got released.. They would change stuff, throw stuff out that didn't cut it and re-work constantly.

I heard some of their early "Hamburg" Recordings and they were rough.... They got alot better, right?

These days, I'll get fixated on a player like Paul Simon or Chuck Berry... I'll listen real careful to their playing, try and find live recordings of them on Youtube and look real close at their hands...

Chuck plays fast... Real fast... He also changes the note order in solos like "Johnny B Goode" each time I see him!
Simon plays strong ... Real strong and confident on acoustic numbers like "Mrs Robinson" (using hammer-ons alot).

You got to learn from the masters, right?

Kind Regards, NB

PS: Players that inspire:

ZZ Top solos - Pure driven power...
Mark Knopfler - Sensitive, light, expansive (I think he favours fingers over a pick!)
Spanish Classical Players - Precise, passionate, exciting.
Many, many more....

#33 OFFLINE   kpheard

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 20-April 12

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

It takes time and dedication to master an instrument. Rome wasn't built in a day. If you find it all too much, then just choose a tune you like, and learn to play it over time. Forget worrying about all the other stuff and getting too technical. Better to have fun and enjoy learning a song you like. You can get more in depth with learning more as time goes on. In the meantime, have fun. Maybe just play around making different sounds with effects etc? Anything to just keep your interest.

#34 OFFLINE   Krissee

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 13 posts
  • Joined 02-January 09

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:51 AM

Hi Alderville, I can understand the frustration of feeling that you can't master the guitar as well as you want to be able to. I started learning to play 30 years ago (from books) and am still not very good, certainly not as good as I hoped to be. I wanted to play like Knopfler, beautiful music that sends the soul soaring, and blues...(Clapton) if only I could get the hang of it. Thanks to Kirk and the Plane Talk information, I can understand that the fretboard should be a friend not a foreign place. And nobody can improve if they don't practice, practice, practice.

#35 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:16 AM

Hi Krissee i have a feeling Alderville may have given up.He hasnt visited this site since september.I could be wrong though he might be still playing just not visiting this site.

#36 OFFLINE   MarkHenry

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Joined 06-April 12

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:48 AM

Dont give up. Keep faith in your self and never leave the race untill you come first.

#37 OFFLINE   pastorbob428

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 16-June 13

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:21 PM

Just for those that might come to this thread hoping for encouragement to keep going, I'll add my 2 cents, too.

When I first started playing, I was given 3 cords to learn - G, C, & D, and I was just strumming each chord as I fought to get the correct finger position. After a few weeks, I found that I could finger the chords correctly, but there was still some fret buzz, and just forget about being able to change from one chord to another. To make a long story short, after 6 months, I was ready to give up. There was no way that I was ever going to be able to change chords along with strumming, and especially doing it in the correct timing. I knew that I had one terminal flaw - I was born with a stupid left hand. It just couldn't seem to go where I wanted it to go on the fretboard. Why I didn't end up throwing my guitar in the trash that night, I don't know. Even stranger, I have no earthly idea why I picked up the guitar the next day. But when I did, I discovered that overnight my stupid left hand had suddenly gotten smart! For six months I struggled with just 3 simple chords, but 6 months + 1 day later, I could play. With those 3 chords, I discovered a whole world of songs that I could play. 13 1/2 years later, when I need to learn a new chord, it really doesn't take long that add it to what I know (Barre chords being a little more challenging, of course).

The point is that if I had given up after 6 months of struggle, I would have given up just 1 day short of my breakthrough, and I would never have know that I could actually play the guitar. For anyone that is struggling, my advice is to persevere, because you'll never know if you gave up 1 day too soon.

#38 OFFLINE   Cory D

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 01-July 13

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

You mentioned at first that you are having trouble hitting individual notes. I think this exercise will help you tremendously. Try doing this exercise with a metronome. A good free one is here: http://www.webmetronome.com

Start at a slow tempo, but MAKE SURE that you stay with the count of the metronome. Meaning, play each note on top of each beat from the metronome. Once you can play this exercise fluently with a slow speed on the metronome, slowly start increasing the speed.

This will develop your finger dexterity as well as familiarize yourself with your hand positioning and get you comfortable enough to move onto playing scales.

Don't give up! Just get over that "beginners" hump. It gets easier!

#39 OFFLINE   Briandb1222

• Active Members
  • 367 posts
  • Joined 09-January 11

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

The only reason why I put down the guitar a year ago is because I was at a time I needed the money, so selling my electric was needed, something I regretted. A year has passed since I gave it up. Just think, I could be rocking it out now with all that time that has passed.

My point is, looking at the small picture, yes, it does seem impossible because the future in its self is unforeseen, you don't know what's ahead and it seems soooo far away, and coupled with a difficult challenge along that path, climbing that wall just seems so moot, but when you get to that point in time whether or not you achieved your goal you will feel relieved that the most difficult part of the journey is behind you or that you are just that much closer to getting to where you need to be. At the same time, if you gave up on the dream, a time will come when you look at all the times that you were spent doing nothing that you could have used to practice, and wonder where you'd be today if you didn't give it up. At least that's how I looked at it.

So, I say, don't give up. Every minute that you do absolutely nothing is time you could be strumming a chord.

#40 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,239 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

"Every minute that you do absolutely nothing is time you could be strumming a chord"

Beautiful ... should be every guitarist's mantra.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users