- - - - -

Easy and cheap way to record

10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:08 PM

Can someone tell me a cheap and easy way to record my guitar playing.I dont want to use my pc for recording because it hates me and nothing ever seems to work on it.
So i just want some kind of basic recording equipment that i can plug a mic into and record my playing.
The sound quality dosnt have to be amazing but saying that i dont want it to be to bad either.
Any suggestions or advice on what equipment to look for would be much appreciated.

#2 OFFLINE   almaink

• Active Members
  • 166 posts
  • Joined 18-February 08

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:39 PM

I use my digital camera. Bonus is I get to watch myself play as well as hear.

#3 ONLINE   6string

• Active Members
  • 4,049 posts
  • Joined 31-July 04

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:21 PM

Voice memo feature if you have an ipod nano.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you’ve heard this bull before.

#4 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:39 PM

I have got both a digital camera and a ipod nano.I will try both out but i cant imagine the sound quality will be that good.
Thanks guys

#5 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,017 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:22 PM

Stu,

On the PC what are you using to record to / Example, Audacity, Reaper, or something else ? My PC hates me too.
Thats why I use a Mac but everyone has a preference and thats a war I do not want to get into.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#6 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:03 PM

My computers probably hate me too, but nowhere near as much as I hate them.
My recording has been through the Zoom H4 (good but expensive), or directly into the sound card on the PC (cheap in both cost and quality.) Audacity is a piece of cake to use, but ordinary sound cards seem to be intended for playback, not recording. Still, I'd guess that the quality of the PC would have to come close to the quality of the digital camera.
If you're going to buy something to do the job, then anything from a used reel to reel tape recorder to a new digital note taker will do. My experience with the Zoom was that the playback (through the PC) was great but it took just a bit more time to use than the mic which can be left permanently in the PC.
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

#7 OFFLINE   GotDeeBlues

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 2,797 posts
  • Joined 22-December 06

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:53 AM

I use a Zoom H2 digital recorder, older model but records really well. Drawback is no internal speaker..can be run through an amp's aux in like an mp3 player though, usb to computer and use those speakers( used like this, it can also be a mike for computer recording), or earbuds. USB cable, RCA plugs, and AC adapter(can do AA's as well) are included, as are stand, windscreen and SD card. Used ones are abundant and inexpensive. Some of the new Tascams gor for about $79 new, and they are one touch record, with internal speakers, short battery life noted in reviews.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
..Nietzsche

#8 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 669 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:03 PM

i've been using a mustang2 amp it hooks up to my pc via usb cable which comes supplyied and just my webcam you can pick up a mustang 1 amp brand new for 100 euros in the shop.
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.” – B.B. King

#9 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:06 PM

Eddiez i have never tryed using any recording software on my pc.The thing struggles to do the most basic things.My computers have always been useless no matter how much i spend on one.

I have seen zoom recorders on ebay they might be just what i need.I have seen a few yamaha multitrack recorders that record onto minidiscs on ebay aswell.
Micky the mustang amp sounds an interesting option but i dont want to involve my pc if i can help it.

#10 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 669 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:36 PM

View PostStu74, on 31 July 2011 - 06:06 PM, said:

Eddiez i have never tryed using any recording software on my pc.The thing struggles to do the most basic things.My computers have always been useless no matter how much i spend on one.

I have seen zoom recorders on ebay they might be just what i need.I have seen a few yamaha multitrack recorders that record onto minidiscs on ebay aswell.
Micky the mustang amp sounds an interesting option but i dont want to involve my pc if i can help it.
hi stu the mustangs not for you then, thats what i don't like about it you really need to connect it to computer to change most of the settings on it its really just a pain but i wanted it for recording so it does the trick for me.
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.” – B.B. King

#11 OFFLINE   Stu74

• Active Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:02 PM

Micky i have to say that your amp looks like a good bit of kit.Great reviews and not to expensive either.
It could be something for me to concider in the future as well as a new laptop if i can find one that likes me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users