chrisw

Classical Guitar

Hi Guys, Just joined today. I'm 57 years old, live in the UK and I have decided that for my 58th birthday my wife can buy me a guitar. I have never played before but I like listening to fingerstyle guitar, so I have decided on a nylon string guitar. I have a few questions; Am I a little old to be learning guitar? Do people actually get any good starting at my age? I have looked at a lot of guitars on the internet, read lots of reviews, and it seems that the yamaha classical guitars have a good reputation. Would this be a good buy? The way I am, is if I try something but it sounds no good I would get put off playing very easy, so I would like a better guitar that maybe sounds better and would also last me many years without upgrading.

Which model of Yamaha would you choose? Have any of you guys heard of a Francisco Domingo FG-27, if so what do you think? It is an all solid guitar, the pictures look beautiful but I cant seem to find many reviews, but at only £200 I thought this might be a good buy.

I would appreciate any kind of advice you could share. Thanks, Chris

G'day Chris, welcome to our community.

No, you're not too old to start learning, but you're probably just old enough to know about persistence, patience and practice. These help.

"Any good" is a very relative term. You may not be paid huge dollars on the world stage for your music, but you can be good enough that no-one realises you started later in life. Your enjoyment and satisfaction will be up to you ... for me it's there in bucketloads.

Yamahas are fine. They're the student guitars for thousand of schools.

When you sit in your house alone with your guitar, you won't be able to pick between the Yamaha student models (e.g.C40) and their best concert guitar. You would never know if it had a solid top or plywood (sorry, the purists call it laminate.) You would never need to know what the reviews said because you'd be interested in learning the notes, not impressing anyone with the clarity and sustain of something you couldn't play anyway. In the shop, side by side you'll hear the difference. If you need to know you have the best money can buy, then spend the money.

There are some very cheap guitars around. You could learn to play on them, no problem, but they have their limitations long term. Intonation for example is only an issue when you can play reasonably well. For the beginner it's of no concern. But if you steer away from the cheap stuff and onto something made with a bit more quality control, then it'll satisfy you longer. It'll also mean you have a better choice, and in your 200 pound budget there'll be something you like.

My suggestion is to go to a few guitar shops and feel the physical differences, like the weight, size, shape of neck. You'll see some extremely expensive guitars that don't feel as comfortable as other affordable ones. A bit like buying a shirt, shoes or underpants really. When you understand the differences, then you'll be making a choice that you'll be confident in.

Listen to what others say too ... we've all been there.

Keep in touch.

Hi Karcey, thanks for the welcome, and the encouragement. Ok, I will give it a go. I drove ten miles today to where I was told were three guitar shops. When I got there I couldnt find one, they had all closed down. Never mind, maybe I will have to internet shop. So maybe I will try for a yamaha, everyone seems to say they are good. I will keep in touch when I have bought my first guitar. Thanks again for the advice.

Chris