Guitar for beginners on ipad

22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sepheritoh

Newcomer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 29-August 07

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:43 AM

Hi I am just an amateur guitarist who wants to follow some of the lessons and teach my kids how to play. I love the lessons on this site, but unfortunately I can only watch the lessons on my computer. I am using my iPad to teach the kids. It saves lots of trees this way and it gives me quick access to all the material and books I have.

Unfortunately this web site uses flash videos. Now, we users get caugt up in Steve Jobs and Aples petty fights with Adobe. The end result is that I can not watch my favorite guitar lessons on the iPad!

Does anybody know of a way to get round this to follow the lessons on my iPad?

#2 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,886 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:10 AM

I tired it on mine and it does look like we are not able to view them on the ipad
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#3 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:18 AM

No, I don't have a solution.
Just remembering the way technology has marched through our lives. Remember the choice we had between VHS and beta? VHS won of course, not saying it was the best technology, but it won public support on the day. Now I suppose it's purely academic because no-one uses it anyway. And then there was the battle between Compact Cassette and 8track. Again, even though Compact Cassette won, it's now immaterial because the young folk these days wouldn't know what a cassette tape was or have a device to load it into.
So we now have another battle between the giants, Apple in the left corner and Microsoft in the right. The only losers are going to be the users ... I wonder how long this battle will last.

Edit. You may quote me .. . I am a computer consultant ... I hate technology!
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

#4 OFFLINE   Sepheritoh

Newcomer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 29-August 07

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:20 AM

Thanks for the replies. It is really sad that the technology advance is accompanied with these little fights. In the end it all gets sorted out, but often the winners are not the best, but rather those with the biggest purse. The flash fight is between Jobs ans Adobe. I am not sure if Microsoft has any part in it. I am a bit of a gadget fan and love how the iPad "mobilized" me and got me away from my computer (I have a home project studio). I am now able to do my reading, Internet browsing, social networking and many other tasks in my car (not while I'm driving), my bed, at the airport, etc. Teaching the kids playing guitar is so much easier as well. I can dial up YouTube videos, guitar tabs, search for chords on demand, etc.

Anyway, I found one possible solution, the Puffin Browser for the iPad. It is not ideal, as the video and audio is totally out of sync, which for something like tutorial videos is a pretty important aspect.

#5 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,886 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:25 AM

One of the biggest reasons I like using the ipad is for lyric and chord storage. Lot easier to cary around than the laptop. Also great for backing tracks and of course a lot bigger for these old eyes
of mine.
Why not just purchase you favorite lessons and convert them to a usable format for the pad ?
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#6 OFFLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,469 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:43 PM

Hi Sepheritoh,

We are currently looking into converting the main site and videos lessons into a format that will work on all smartphones and tablets.

The forum should already be smartphone compatible and of course tablet (ipad) compatible. We will be upgrading soon so that you will be able to receive push notifications as well.

Clancy
I said, "I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them." I said, and said, and said those words. I said them but I lied them. ~ Dr. Seuss

#7 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,886 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:20 PM

Clancy,
I can of course get to GFB&B however on the Ipad I cannot view the lesson. It mentions the flash player upgrade required. In some cases it shows the text but no movie, in other cases it shows the oi
picture but no play, in many cases it shows all the text and tabs.
I will check it for time to time. i think I will load a purchased lesson and see what it does. Posted Image

eddie

#8 OFFLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,469 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:25 PM

Hi Eddie,

I know you won't be able to see the flash video lessons. I was referring to the forum itself. Just posting and viewing the forum. The lessons are all in flash at the moment. We'll make a big announcement when it's in the appropriate format for other devices. It's not a simple process. It's quite time consuming to switch it all over.

Clancy
I said, "I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them." I said, and said, and said those words. I said them but I lied them. ~ Dr. Seuss

#9 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,886 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:28 PM

Clancy,
Viewing the forum is no problem, it works great for that. I want to see now how it treats flv and mp4 files.

#10 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,886 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:14 AM

Ok I finished my test for my IPad. I took my purchased lesson in the (wmv) format. I used a program called Wondershare video and audio converter. Drag and drop the (wvm) choose what type of
conversion I wanted, in this case an (mp4). Stuck it into my IPad and worked perfect.

#11 OFFLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,469 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:34 AM

That's interesting Eddie. Thanks for posting how to do that. Useful for anyone who has purchased any of the Finger Style lessons or even the CAGED lesson.

Cheers

Clancy

#12 OFFLINE   atldeville

• Active Members
  • 61 posts
  • Joined 03-July 11

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:09 PM

There is a app called "puffin" that you can download to the iPad. It's a web browser that plays flash.......

#13 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,886 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:04 AM

Thanks atideville. Have to try that ! Looks like the reviews are not very good though.

#14 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,886 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:01 AM

Well I tried it and it works fairly well. Video and audio a little out of sink but workable.

#15 OFFLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,469 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:51 AM

Just an update on this. Kirk's new lesson can be viewed on an iPad. We will be changing all our lessons over to this new format shortly.

This is the first one that's available:

Flat Ones - A look at Major Seventh Chords

Cheers

Clancy

#16 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,886 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:48 PM

Clancy,
Thats great ! I will let you how it works on this end.

#17 OFFLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,469 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:02 PM

Thanks Eddie. I tested it on mine (iPad 2) and it works fine but let me know how it goes for you too.

Clancy

#18 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,886 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:27 PM

Its asking for a flash player upgrade? Which cannot be done here. I looked that up looks like there is an ipad flash player

#19 OFFLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,469 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:29 PM

Are you looking at the new lesson Eddie?

#20 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,886 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:33 PM

Watching Flat ones --- now. It works great. Excellent sound and quality. Great job Clancy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users