Backing tracks

13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 672 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:13 AM

Hi all does anyone know of a site where you can download backing tracks that have a chord chart with them.Because when i play with a backing track i end up just going up and down the scales i know and i'm trying to learn how to solo with chord tone's but i can't when i dont know the chords. :helpsmili
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.” – B.B. King

#2 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:06 AM

I don't know of any such site, but why don't you try to pick the chords by trying to match what you hear with what will fit while you try to strum along with what you hear? I usually start by checking to see what key it's in - check to see if F or F# fits, then if it has F#'s you know it's not C or Am. Then go further around The Circle of Fifths - if it has F#'s, check to see if C or C# fits etc etc. If it has F#'s but not C#'s you know it's in the key of G. If it has F#'s and C#'s you've excluded Keys C and G and keep going until you get the key. Then you can pick out what chords are being played, mostly.

And you can always do what I do - if I can't work it out, I give up and move on to another song or track. Works for me every time.
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#3 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 672 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:39 PM

View Postcarol m, on 21 July 2011 - 08:06 AM, said:

I don't know of any such site, but why don't you try to pick the chords by trying to match what you hear with what will fit while you try to strum along with what you hear? I usually start by checking to see what key it's in - check to see if F or F# fits, then if it has F#'s you know it's not C or Am. Then go further around The Circle of Fifths - if it has F#'s, check to see if C or C# fits etc etc. If it has F#'s but not C#'s you know it's in the key of G. If it has F#'s and C#'s you've excluded Keys C and G and keep going until you get the key. Then you can pick out what chords are being played, mostly.

And you can always do what I do - if I can't work it out, I give up and move on to another song or track. Works for me every time.

Thanks for the reply carol.I was afraid someone would suggest that aproach :weirdeyes: i think i give up and move on to the next track to often so maybe i'll have to start working out the chords with my ears from now on.
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.” – B.B. King

#4 ONLINE   6string

• Active Members
  • 4,056 posts
  • Joined 31-July 04

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:01 PM

You can set up the chords to your liking

http://www.jamstudio...tudio/index.htm
Deja Moo: The feeling that you’ve heard this bull before.

#5 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,028 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:10 PM

That looks like a real cool site 6string. Thanks for posting.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#6 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 672 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:25 PM

exellent 6string the guitar actually sounds good to thats just what i was after. :winkthumb: heres another jam machine i've used in the past http://jamcenter.com/ but i think i prefer the one you just posted

#7 OFFLINE   zonshti

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Joined 19-April 12

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

try this:
www.jam-buddy.com

#8 OFFLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

Micky,

If you BIAB, you can load the backing track into the program and it will display the chords. Another program that works fairly well is the Digital Music Mentor. Don't know of any free ones though.

Mike

#9 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 672 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

View Postmset3, on 20 April 2012 - 09:10 AM, said:

Micky,

If you BIAB, you can load the backing track into the program and it will display the chords. Another program that works fairly well is the Digital Music Mentor. Don't know of any free ones though.

Mike

cheers mike i have BIAB its a cool program its a little fiddly to get all the correct chords right but good none the less.i downloaded Digital Music Mentor earlier havent had much of a chance to get a good go on it yet but it looks like a good program thanks for pointing it out to me.

#10 OFFLINE   mset3

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • Joined 27-June 11

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

Micky,

Let us know how DMM works for you.

Mike

#11 OFFLINE   caliban4

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 06-June 12

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:24 AM

http://phillipsmusic.net/realbook.htm is a site with 500 free backing tracks for BIAB.

#12 OFFLINE   GeoNjules

• Active Members
  • 271 posts
  • Joined 27-October 06

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:35 AM

Thanks guys for the "make your own backtrack" links. I love that kinda stuff!
" I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken"

#13 OFFLINE   justinthyme

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts
  • Joined 12-December 05

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

Guys, I came across a neat little program for making backing tracks in different styles today. Spent an hour or so with it and it shows promise for those who don't want the expense or learning curve involved in (getting the most out of) BIAB. At around US$25 (which includes support and all future upgrades) it seems a pretty good deal. There's a free lite version, too.

http://www.chordpulse.com/index.html

Well worth a look IMHO.
Ian

#14 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 672 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

Cheers for that link i just had a quick look i must download the trial tomorrow and see how i get on with it 25 quid's not to bad if it's any good. I have band in a box but i just use it for showing the chords to the songs while i play along and i do like it i just dont create backing tracks to jam with.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users