- - - - -

anyone have an acoustic electric?

5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DV8R

• Active Members
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 03-May 11

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:23 AM

I don't know which ones are worth considering. Do they have a completely different sound than a regular electric?
Equipment: Ibanez RG321MH Blackberry Sunburst with Peavey Vypyr 15

#2 OFFLINE   GotDeeBlues

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 2,797 posts
  • Joined 22-December 06

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:52 AM

There are litteraly hundreds of good, well made and affordable A/E's out there. Unplugged they sound just like a regular acoustic and nothing like a solid body electric or even a semi hollow through an amp. Big full hollow jazz boxes can have a nice acoustic tone, but change quite a bit plugged in. Go to a shop and try some different types of guitars and amps for whatever sound you're after. Great learning experience and fun to boot.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
..Nietzsche

#3 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:01 AM

I have a thin line washburn folk. Itg is brighter than average because of the thinner body. It is very loud unplugged for a thin line guitar. Takes a while to open up though.

#4 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,002 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:43 AM

Yes, Both Nylon and Steel versions. Great when you need the volume when entertaining and also when recording and you want a mix of mic and plug in tone attributes.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#5 OFFLINE   gasbag

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 424 posts
  • Joined 31-January 08

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:06 PM

I have an Ovation, a Breedlove, and a Fender a/e.

The Fender was only $400 so it is ok but nothing outstanding.
The Ovation, unplugged, sounds like an Ovation. Some love it, some hate it. I like it.
Plugged in the Ovation sounds HUGE. Here is a goofy little thing I posted with it using just a bit of chorus on my amp. It's at the bottom of the first post. James Bond Meets the Pink Panther
The Breedlove, unplugged or plugged in, well, if I could marry a guitar............. :helpsmili
If it's tourist season why can't you hunt them?

#6 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:00 AM

I have to say I've been a bit disappointed with AE guitars.
Had a session recently sitting in a guitar shop trying a few new instruments. The AEs were dull compared to even budget acoustics. And of course that was because so many AEs have plywood (purists call it laminate) tops. They depend on being played plugged in. My search took me to some better AEs with solid tops and the sound was so much richer.
Being pedantic, I believe all AE guitars should be able to be played unplugged. When you buy your AE, make sure you compare it to an acoustic at the same time. I mean side by side. Listen to both. When you're happy with the acoustic sound, then ask for an amp to try it plugged in.
Or, on the other hand, you may be satisfied with just half a guitar. I'm not.
Keep in touch.
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users