Douglaslwhite

High quality 1/2 size guitar?

Can anyone recommend a 1/2 size guitar of fairly high quality? At this point, acoustic or electric, nylon or steel strings are fine. (Not in that order, tho...)

My son has been playing a 3/4 size, but it's just too big. I want to find him an instrument that he enjoys playing, and he can physically get his arms around. (He's 6, and not really big for his age.)

I keep seeing the Yamaha cgs102a... Does anyone own one? (Plus, my son is lefty, so I need to string it upside down.) I've also seen a more expensive Cordoba, but again, I can't find any user reviews help?

(PS, sorry if this is a redundant topic. I looked for but didn't see a thread like this. If I missed it, please send me the link?)

Thanks!

karcey    42

Don't want to sound negative, but there's no need for a left handed person to play a left strung guitar. The hands have equal tasks to do, and to pursue left handedness at this stage means that for ever he'll be playing either custom built guitars, or at least choosing from a relatively limited selection. Bit like pianos really. It doesn't matter whether you're left or right handed, all pianos are played the same. Stringing a guitar the other way isn't quite as simple as it sounds. The nut will need to be changed, generally the bridge as well. The bracing under the top of an acoustic is very important to some makers and it may not necessarily be symmetrical.

Having said all that, I don't know of any guitars from personal experience that suit your criteria.

Best of luck with your search.

Hi Karcey,

Believe me, I started him on a right-handed, and we tried it for a few weeks. But I saw him continually (reflexively) reach around the guitar to try to strum with his left hand. For some people, it's just most natural to hold it the other way - and believe me, I wish it weren't. I know there are sone downsides to playing lefty - my current dilemma foremost among them.

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for that link - I might try that. My latest attempt has been try buy a Martin travel guitar and string it upside down. I have over a month to try it and return it if it doesn't do the trick. I haven't messed with the nut, but it's holding so far.

The Ortegas look very nice, so that's next, if this doesn't work. (One thing I've noticed is, there are a lot more left guitars out there than I thought there'd be. Thts really nice.)

eddiez152    129

Douglas,

Don't waste your time with the Martin. You will have invested the money and time with poor results. Besides I tried out their travel guitar and ended up buying a Taylor for a small person learning to play.

It was the best sounding, but in either case not at all enchanted by their sound.

No matter which you pick get one ready from ground up.

6string    81

Douglas,

Don't waste your time with the Martin. You will have invested the money and time with poor results. Besides I tried out their travel guitar and ended up buying a Taylor for a small person learning to play.

It was the best sounding, but in either case not at all enchanted by their sound.

No matter which you pick get one ready from ground up.

Eddie if your talking about the Martin Backpacker I agree, waste of money

but if your talking about the Little Martin vs the Baby Taylor I disagree

I have a Baby Taylor but I wish I had gotten the Little Martin instead.

eddiez152    129

The truth for me is, I wish I never bought the Baby Taylor, but the there is a picture here on the site somewhere with the person who was to use it. She is slightly taller than the guitar. I do not remember which Martin they had in the store. But as I try to recall I think it was the Backpaker now that you mention it. Its Not that the Baby Taylor is junk in anyway, but after playing real guitars I'm afraid that my ear buds cant handle anything less. smile.gif

I think a great quality 1/2 or 3/4 size classical would have been a better choice.

I checked out a picture of the Backpacker. Indeed that was the other choice.

karcey    42

G'day Douglas.

I accept your reasoning and know you'll get what's best for your boy.

I've also seen other lefty players play normal RH guitars without changing the strings. They just learn it their way and never suffer the problem of being without a guitar.

Could be an answer.

I think I played a Little Martin, but it was a 3/4, not a 1/2. The only 1/2 I found was the Yamaha classical, and it sounded like trash. I've already restrung the travel guitar and it's not too bad - not great, of course. And now I'm really thinking about that Ortega... Of course dropping that much on a guitar he'll outgrow in a year or two wasn't what I had in mind, but i want him to have something he can play and feel good about. He's already a little discouraged, and I don't want to amplify that with a crummy instrument.

mattz196    15

Hi Douglas , Maton make a very cool Maton mini. Link to Maton

Here's a clip of Adam Rafferty playing one, he says at the start he's in a shop in New Hampshire, so they must be get able in the US where I presume you are.

Yt clip Maton

Don't think they do a lefty version.

Cheers Matt

6string    81

Here's a clip of Adam Rafferty playing one, he says at the start he's in a shop in New Hampshire, so they must be get able in the US where I presume you are.

Yt clip Maton

Tab that out for me will ya Matt.