Improv No 2 in A

41 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,248 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:21 AM

Stand back folks, earplugs at the ready.....my second ever improv - one run through, no rehearsal, just to see what would happen: 3 chords, one reckless fool, with a recording at least. You may not believe it but this is a great improvement on last time.

Attached File  Improv 2 in A 19.6.11.mp3   1.3MB   49 downloads

I used the Podfarm amps/effects which is still a mystery to me, and I don't know where I ended up with various amps, cabinets, pre-amps, compressors, knobs etc etc.
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#2 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:54 AM

I like it.
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

#3 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,248 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:19 AM

You're a brave man, Karcey, but thanks. At least it's promising enough for me to try again. It's still tricky to play with a light enough touch that you don't bend the notes sharp (amongst other things).
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#4 OFFLINE   Chelle E.

• Active Members

• 302 posts
  • Joined 14-September 08

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:32 AM

Carol,

Very nice, even tempo and clear chords. Glad you posted. :winkthumb:

#5 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 661 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:04 PM

nice Carol did you use an acoustic for the chords or electric sounds good :leadguitar:
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. B.B. King

#6 ONLINE   gasbag

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 420 posts
  • Joined 31-January 08

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:58 PM

Hey, nothing wrong with that............sounded very good.Posted Image
Nice and steady and I like the sound.

At least you post something..........I can't work up the courage to do it yet.
Every time I try to record myself it sounds like the neck just fell off my guitar. :reallymad:
If it's tourist season why can't you hunt them?

#7 OFFLINE   mattz196

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,525 posts
  • Joined 31-July 06

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:10 PM

Well done Carol that was good.
What's Rangoon to you is Grafton to me

#8 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,248 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:08 PM

View Postmicky mac, on 19 June 2011 - 02:04 PM, said:

nice Carol did you use an acoustic for the chords or electric sounds good

Both tracks were electric - I agree the chords sound acoustic - I think it's fair to say I haven't yet found my 'sound'. :laughingg:

I used my newly intonated Squier Strat copy using the Podfarm plugin: Jazz Clean and an array of 'other stuff' from Podfarm which I'm not to sure about - it was where I ended up while exploring Podfarm and got tired of getting nowhere.

My take on it is:
  • it was not 'good', but at least I'd picked up my electric guitar again, for about the 10th time ever
  • It was better than I thought it would be
  • Because I posted it, it will encourage others to have a go, even when they know it's not good - it doesn't matter how 'good' a recording or playing is, you will always get encouragement on this forum - I'm sure anyone can do as 'well' as this without too much trouble
  • It was better than my Improv No 1 - believe it or not
  • I need to work out what effects and platform I need for my electric playing to get a more clean, but electric and/or country sound
  • I need to play the electric more often because I don't really have a clue at the moment and it's very different to playing acoustic
  • I got encouragement which will increase the chance of playing more electric (thanks guys)
How about some of you electric newbies having a go: record a basic rhythm track (it doesn't have to be perfect because the result will be lost in the overall mud you end up with :))
Go back to the start of track 1, and try to pick out a few notes that fit with the chord that is playing as you play - record it (I didn't do a trial run, I recorded my first attempt - possibly a mistake)
Upload it here, and wait to get encouragement - it will happen
Keep the recording so next time you try this, you will be sooo much better - that's the good thing about starting with rubbish, there's only one way to go, and that's - up.

Yes, this is a Challenge! Does anyone have the courage to take it up?

Go on! You know you want to!:D

#9 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:02 PM

Carol,
Please may I remind you that you can be a bit too negative at times. You don't need to put yourself down (especially when you have friends like me and 'you know who'.)
That recording of yours was good ... yes good. If it had been an arrangement that you'd been working on, and you'd practised for a while it would've been exceptionally good.
It may not have been perfect in your eyes, and others may be able to suggest improvements, but it demonstrates skill and understanding of the guitar in excess of that managed by some performing groups who never get past strumming three or four chords.
Now I trust you'll consider yourself suitably chastised, and I must insist on this occasion that you respect your elder (me).
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

#10 ONLINE   windsong

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,696 posts
  • Joined 29-October 07

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:26 PM

I really like it. So mellow, and something nice to listen to on this rainy morning. :thumbup1:

#11 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,248 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:34 PM

View Postkarcey, on 19 June 2011 - 09:02 PM, said:

Carol,
Now I trust you'll consider yourself suitably chastised, and I must insist on this occasion that you respect your elder (me).

Thanks Karcey, I do respect my elders (mostly) and you say some nice things, but I thought I was being positive tempered by realism. In fact I'm a hopeless optimist in just about everything, including my ability to improve - and everyone else's - I've even been accused of being 'Polyanna' in the past.

I also wanted to encourage others to 'have a go' no matter how it turns out. I was actually pleased, and a bit surprised, with the outcome, all things considered, so I reckoned anyone who has the guts to have a go, will be surprised/pleased too.

But I am suitably chastised, thanks - if you keep up this encouragement I might turn into an aging Mary Winehouse, or a Paris Hilton (all show and no talent), and I don't think the world is quite ready for that.

#12 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:47 PM

Great work Carol!
if you would like some help with Podfarm let me know, and next time I am in your area I could drop over and show you a few things if you like.
Now we anxiously await Improv # 3

#13 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,248 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:07 AM

View Postscotty_b, on 19 June 2011 - 09:47 PM, said:

Now we anxiously await Improv # 3

Very wise, anything could happen. Your offer sounds great, any time, Podfarm or not - we always have a bottomless pot of coffee on the go - or tea. i probably need to read the Podfarm Manual - also I open Podfarm so infrequently I can never remember what I worked out before.

Maybe in the mean time you could give me a couple of hints about which Podfarm Amps and effects might give me a better electric sound? I know you've used Podfarm quite a lot, and I could experiment from there to get a better recording. I only need may 2 or 3 basic sounds to cover anything I might want to do.

I see a whole new world of music opening up, ready for me to butcher.......(just kidding, Karcey :)).

#14 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:48 AM

Hi Carol
there are some really good presets floating around - http://www.glenndela...ownloadArea.htm have a look here for starters. You should be able to download the Pod XT files and open them in Podfarm.
Electric guitar tone is very subjective, and what you like someone else wont.
We'll have to work out a time then and have a look at some of those things then!

#15 ONLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:49 AM

View Postcarol m, on 19 June 2011 - 09:34 PM, said:

... or a Paris Hilton (all show and no talent), and I don't think the world is quite ready for that.

:ohmy:
I said, "I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them." I said, and said, and said those words. I said them but I lied them. ~ Dr. Seuss

#16 ONLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,999 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:10 AM

carol m,
You made a lot of good points. Hope others read them and get started with recording. "Just out here having them some fun"
I have a hard time playing on any electric except for my Epiphone semi hollow guitar. Probably because its a full sized instrument and feel right in my hands.

As to your tune, I think you did well controlling the beast for as little time you have played it.

eddie
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#17 OFFLINE   micky mac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 661 posts
  • Joined 08-October 07

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:18 PM

i'll take up your challange carol once i get the recording thing down a bit might not be good but it'll be mine lol
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. B.B. King

#18 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,248 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:29 PM

View Posteddiez152, on 22 June 2011 - 11:10 AM, said:

carol m,
As to your tune, I think you did well controlling the beast for as little time you have played it.
eddie

Thanks Eddie, it's true that you suddenly have to control the beast - every touch is heard and muting can't be ignored like you can (mostly) on acoustic. Also you have to use a lighter touch than acoustic, or you press the thinner strings sharp - I think that info came from the intonation thread in Guitar Tech forum I used to fix my intonation. 'Learn a new thing every day' is certainly true when you try to play electric.

PS Gillian Welch has a new album out and it's playing on my radio right now - banjo, hand percussion, harmony and great vocals - the songs sound around 100 years old but she wrote them all.

#19 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,248 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:31 PM

View Postmicky mac, on 22 June 2011 - 02:18 PM, said:

i'll take up your challange carol once i get the recording thing down a bit might not be good but it'll be mine lol

On'ya Micky Mac! Go on - have a go.....but that's not an excuse I hear is it??? :nono:

#20 OFFLINE   mattz196

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,525 posts
  • Joined 31-July 06

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:10 AM

Carol has has done two things for me, not only has she granted me her kind permission to post my meager attempt here on her on her thread but she motivated me with her great improv too dust off the looper pedal and have a shot .
Crook recording as per normal for me cest la vie ,was just for fun.
So Carol, though others may not after listening I thank you from the bottom of my heart .(does that sound sincere :laughingg: )

Noodle

Cheers big ears
Matt

P.s Improv'd but some heavy borrowing goin' on :winkthumb:
What's Rangoon to you is Grafton to me

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users