carol m

Improv No 2 in A

mattz196    15

Chucked a sicky today ,no one home,so I broke out the looper pedal and electric for a change.

Hey Carol where's your next one???

carol m    64

I'm not sure how to say this and still preserve some credibility, but your guitar playing is excellent Matt! :claping:

And, I'm sorry to say, much better than mine - but don't tell Karcey I said so, he'll want to give me a pep talk, which is useful, but I'm not disheartened by the adverse comparison to my own skills - but sadly, it is true. But... worry not! I'll just practice more and I know that I'll improve if I do - have you noticed (I just did) how the word 'improve' is only 2 letters short of 'improvise'. I"m not sure what that tells me - probably nothing.

Well done Matt. And I do hope your health improves soon.

mattz196    15

I'm not sure how to say this and still preserve some credibility, but your guitar playing is excellent Matt! :claping:

Go easy on the compliments ,we both have reputations to uphold ,people will get the wrong idea and think we actually like each other. :winkthumb:

I would recommend a looper to you if you don't already have one , it is a great learning tool not too mention a lot of fun.

Instantly create your own backing tracks ,and just start noodleing but with purpose around the fretboard in my case trying to follow the changes,it's helpful too with just one tap record what your playing for a quick listen and another quick tap to delete and start again.

I find it quite addictive really ,never gets boring(my family might not agree) but beware time seems to fly using it and you think to yourself have I really been playing over those same chords for that long. :o

Cheers

Matt

P.s thanks for the lovely compliments. :)

P.s.s As you are a mod , could you please delete the above p.s after you have read it .. ;)

carol m    64

P.s.s As you are a mod , could you please delete the above p.s after you have read it ..

I seem to have lost my delete button somewhere....maybe you stole it and that request is a double bluff - yes, that would be more like you.

How about posting that bt you are playing to, it's about my speed and a nice rhythm too. I have an RP150 which was a total bargain in ebay but I couldn't work out how to use it to loop with, and then a member here told me that model doesn't have a loop option. :(

I expect I could do it in GarageBand if I could get it to open - I've got a clash of midi software apps and haven't been able to sort it out yet.

mattz196    15

Thanks Mac and Eddie

Carol ,I will post the the BT won't sound too great, it's just me playing the chords on my acoustic with drums from the pedal .

The little Jaycar power supply for pedal has died will try to get one today and record backing should I make it about three minutes long?

Would be interesting to hear you or anyone's take on it , as with any of these little noodles I only ever seem to be able to hear one way of playing it.

karcey    42

but don't tell Karcey I said so, he'll want to give me a pep talk,

Nope. No way. No pep talks from me! I'm just sitting here smiling because I've heard some fine efforts from a couple of people I respect. There's no need ever to compare or try to rate any work as better or worse than any other work. They're all meaningful steps on our individual musical journeys.

Keep playing, and as always, keep in touch.

carol m    64

Don't worry Karcey - pep talks are good. I don't feel like it's a competition, but I'm also a realist - Matt's skills are better - or at least different - to mine, and that's not a problem. It gives me one more thing to aim for. I'm probably better at classical than him because that's how I started out, but that doesn't matter either - so many different things to learn and all of them good.

If I judge myself against anything, it's against myself, and I know I'm like everyone else - if I practice, I'll improve. But even if I don't practice as much as I probably should, I still love playing guitar, so that's all that matters .

In fact I know you are quite a dab hand at classical yourself, and I know you love playing for it's own sake - I think I feel pretty much the same thing. Your encouragement and advice is always appreciated. :)

sheraton    20

how did i miss this thread,.............. so much good reading and listening material on this site/forum it's hard to keep up with it all

Carol that's a really nice improv, nice playing, choice of notes and feel.......your playing has come on since i last heard you......and this thread is

3 months old...........time to post another

Paul........... :)

p.s smilies not working for me for some reason.....

sheraton    20

oh aye...........forgot to say

Matt nice playing and good sound.........only listened to the mp3 tho......my internet credits running low (vids use a lot)...i'll come back n check them out when i top up ;)

Paul...........

carol m    64

A blast from the past - well 3 months or so. Sadly I haven't picked up my electric since I did this. Recently I've been learning some old-time blues like Lightning Hopkins, Rev Gary Davies style - heavy on the thumb, ragtime acoustic.

I'm thinking of maybe getting a standalone recorder so I can keep the electric upstairs with access to the balcony and noodle/play/record when I'm taking ten away from the computer. No definite plans as yet but the sad truth is that I never set the electric up when it's so easy to pick up the acoustic and play with no tech required.

Nice tune Carol, I can see why your not enitrely satisfied with the piece. But that is to be expected as you are progressing, but It does sound really good, the tones and production are nice and clear, It's also got a really nice sort of innocent drifty kind of feel to it. Keep up the good stuff, seems like you've got the right attitude to keep progressing.