carol m

I fixed my intonation!

carol m    64

I'm feeling very clever this morning - don't worry, it won't last - I plugged in my very pretty strat copy to have yet another go at trying to sound better than awful, and, as always it sounded totally 'off' and tuneless, really, really bad etc so, of course, I blamed myself.

Then inspiration struck! Maybe it sounds awful because it is awful? I checked the intonation and all the strings were off in varying amounts. The D string and low E string were a whole semitone sharp wherever I fretted them, and the others were sharp but less so, except for the B string which was flat. I didn't expect that because when I bought it second hand from a music store, the guy 'threw in' a free set up. :brickwall:

I found this thread here: Intonating your electric guitar and discovered that all that strange metal work down one end (that part that looks like the braces people put on teeth) was where you change the intonation. I examined my guitar, and all the bridges were in a dead straight line.

So I attacked them with a phillips head screwdriver. I assumed the amount you have to turn the screw would be about the same as for adjusttng the truss rod (very little) and nothing changed. In the end I worked out I had to turn the screws maybe 10 full circles but in the end I did it ok - on all the strings........and now........sweet! Yippee!

carol m    64

This means (and I'm being totally serious) that you probably know more than that chap in the music store. Congratulations.

It would be nice to think so, but unfortunately not true - he was a fast talking salesman/shyster who has gone out of business - the sort who would do or say anything to palm off a sale on anyone - a perfect candidate for the description of 'tosser'. It's a really nice looking guitar at a bargain price, so he didn't have to try too hard. Now it even sounds more or less ok as well. Now I am the limiting factor, not the hardware.

ronnie    4

thanks carol, I checked out the thread and learned something new:) I knew what intonation was but never really new the correct way to check it and correct it, another reason I love this forum !!!!!

Ronnie

karcey    42

- he was a fast talking salesman/shyster who has gone out of business - the sort who would do or say anything to palm off a sale on anyone -

So? I rest my case!!