Random Robot

Making a Video

so hey, I want to start recording me playing guitar and I've noticed some pretty nice videos from other members.I'm not looking to do anything too fancy, just want to record me playing guitar and singing. I've got a little webcam that doesn't track too well and the mic just gets destroyed at any volume. I guess I just wanted some input on what kind of video camera you guys are using and if your recording the sound seperately or just thru the camera. Thanks

thats a question I would like to know the answer to also, some of the videos he have pretty nice sound and I to was wondering if it was all from the camera mic.

Ronnie

same here i want to start recording my self and just cant seem to get started.

Mickey,

I also had a hard time getting started. Many people get started with Audacity, others with Reaper. I am on a Mac and use Garage Band. But like the rest of you folks, I would like to do a video as well.

thanks eddie i must have a look into reaper hopefully i'll post something soon.Warning for everyone on the site i'm certanly not eric clapton lol.

mickey,

Just be who you are and mostly have fun. Be proud of what you've learned, then improve on your recording and playing skills. I remember when I first got here. It took 4 months before I did an intro, then another 3 months before I did my first recording. Got the gear and with no success tried to record my first take. Screw it, I got the video camera out and used that fir my first tune. I played Donovan's "Colours"

Of course everyone was kind balloon.giftongueyes.gif and I think Kirk wrote " Wow that guitar is loud, good recording, and something else like, yes it does sound a bit like the tune. You may want to add a little more melody line to it" blush.gif

Well, over the years with the help of many posts here I began to improve and still have a long road to go. Unlike kids and some of our younger members, we are not as quick to learn.

Got a couple of folks here that have done an outstanding job doing video recordings. I guess I'm a little shy when it comes to showing up on camera. But I'm gonna do it someday.

eddie

well i've been playing with reaper all day and it seems to be working alrite after alot of fidleing and tweeking.You sure beat me eddie 7 months for your first recording its over 3 years for me.I know what you being camera shy for me its not only i don't play like clapton i don't look like Brad Pit either :sweatdrop

I always record the guitar separately. Camera mics are pretty awful, even on good cameras. They have a built-in compressor that really ruins the audio. So I record as I film. I have a good Rode mic and I bring it into Adobe Audition, which is the program I've been using for years. I do a bit of EQing, add a bit of reverb in Audition, save it as a wav file and I strip the good audio into the movie in Adobe Premiere. I use the wave forms of the camera audio and the good audio to sync it all up, then I mute the camera audio, leaving just the good audio.

You can do the same in Windows Movie Maker, which comes with all PCs. Import the video (which has its own audio), import the good audio. Drag the good audio into the time line below the video and you'll see the wave forms for both. Line 'em up (zoom in as close as you can to get it accurate to within a frame (which is 1 25th of a second), right click the bad audio and mute it.

Good deal kirk. I've got protools and some decent mics so that should give me a something to work with. So I wonder if that's what daktaris been doing too. I always think his videos look pretty good and sound great. I need to get a nude camera but I might try my evo phone it takes really nice video but the audio stinks on ice.