wolste99

Classical Guitar

wolste99    0

Hey, all

It's great to be on this forum. I'm pretty much a beginning guitarist (by "pretty much" I mean I can play some stuff and know chords, etc...).

I'm wanting to learn to play classical music on the guitar so I figure I'll pick up a cheap nylon string guitar. My question is, how do I decide what kind to buy? Not brand necessarily, because I'm going to go cheap at the start, but I see there are full-sized ones, 3/4 size, 1/2 size and so on. Which is best? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Steven.

ronnie    4

hello Steven. while I am not a pro, I have played guitar a long time and I to wanted a nylon string guitarjust recently, not wanting to spend a lot on one yet, I bought a cordoba c5 you can get one from $ 300 to $400

I really like it , as for the size , I dont know your age but asumeing you are an adult I would buy a full size guitar.

thereare guys on here that know more than i do but just thought i would post my idea.

wolste99    0

hello Steven. while I am not a pro, I have played guitar a long time and I to wanted a nylon string guitarjust recently, not wanting to spend a lot on one yet, I bought a cordoba c5 you can get one from $ 300 to $400

I really like it , as for the size , I dont know your age but asumeing you are an adult I would buy a full size guitar.

thereare guys on here that know more than i do but just thought i would post my idea.

Thanks for the reply, Ronnie. I kind of figured a full sized one would be the one to get. And, for me, I'm thinking more like a $50 guitar, just to start. I don't even want to drop $300 or $400 until I know it's something I definitely want to pursue. I assume I will love it and I will upgrade as I progress.

Steven.

karcey    42

G'day Steven, Welcome to our community.

You don't have to spend a lot of money on a guitar, but beware, there's still an amount of junk out there. I'd probably look at second hand rather than new. There's a heap of used guitars around from all those folk who changed their minds or lost interest. Don't worry yourself about getting a solid top. Laminated (plywood) is strong and serviceable for learning on. I have a small guitar for my grand kids and I find it very difficult to play. On the other hand we've recently seen video of some Korean kids playing full size guitars and doing a very good job of it. I'd say stick with full size.

The neck is going to feel a bit different at first, but everything you've learned is transferable if you give it a fair go.

Keep in touch.

carol m    64

In that price range you are probably best going for a second hand one like Karcey says. If you buy at second hand prices, you can also sell at second hand prices if you want to upgrade later on. I've bought and sold a few second hand ones via ebay until I found one I liked, and I always sold at about the same price I'd bought it for. If you are in the States, I think Craig's List has second hand guitars as well.