lifeofbrian

neck pickup problems

This is a problem i've had many times over the years,but it normally fixes itself.If i don't on e of my guitars for a long period,the neck pick-up stops working.But after a while starts to work again.

But my Washburn EC29 neck pick-up is very quiet,and seems to be stuck that way.It has fixed itself before,but i think its broke forever,unless of course someone here knows a trick to getting working again.

I have tried using fader lube on it,but that hasn't worked...any ideas.

This is just one possibility of the many.

The wire to the pickup may have a poor connection. Soldered joints are sometimes "dry" which means they're actually cracked. With a long period without use, corrosion can build up in that dry joint and prevent electrical contact.

It's an easy fix for someone with an iron to re-melt each connection, thus ensuring that they're all sound.

Here's another possibility of the many.

The switch that selects the pickups may have a coating of corrosion on some of the contacts. It may respond well to being cleaned.

K thanks,i'll buy an iron and get cracking.

This is just one possibility of the many.

The wire to the pickup may have a poor connection. Soldered joints are sometimes "dry" which means they're actually cracked. With a long period without use, corrosion can build up in that dry joint and prevent electrical contact.

It's an easy fix for someone with an iron to re-melt each connection, thus ensuring that they're all sound.

Here's another possibility of the many.

The switch that selects the pickups may have a coating of corrosion on some of the contacts. It may respond well to being cleaned.