mynewguitar

Standard Tuning Slide

mynewguitar    0

I just saw "Ladies and Gentlemen The Rolling Stones" and it looked like Mick Taylor was playing slide using standard tuning when he's playing "Love in Vain". Can anybody verify that?

I'm also pretty sure that Mike Bloomfield would sometimes play slide with standard tuning when he was with Paul Butterfield.

I'm wondering if either of those is a possibility and if anyone knows of any other guitarists playing slide in standard tuning.

Thanks.

Kirk Lorange    128

I can tell you that Mick Taylor, who was touring Australia doing small clubs, once got up with my band in Sydney. His roadie shoved a white Strat at me before we started up and said "open E" (I shoved it back). Mick then got up and he was so drunk he started stepping on my pedals. We cut the set short. I'm not sure if he also plays in standard.

There's a great player called Alan Hinds who plays in standard, as does Brett Garsed, an Aussie guitarist who plays with our top pop artist John Farnham. Muddy Waters apparently used to play in standard as well as open tunings. I don't know of any others, apart from me.

mynewguitar    0

Thanks for weighing in, guys. I'm going to Netflix the movie and watch more closely.

Speaking of sad stories, there are stories that Mike Bloomfield sold his Les Paul to buy

the heroine which killed him at the age of 33.

Well, that looks like standard tuning to me in the video of Love in Vain, unless MT has changed the guitar mid song, which isn't likely.

It's easier in my opinion to play slide in open tuning (I prefer open-g, but open-e is a good alternative).

Kirk Lorange    128

Well, that looks like standard tuning to me in the video of Love in Vain, unless MT has changed the guitar mid song, which isn't likely.

It's easier in my opinion to play slide in open tuning (I prefer open-g, but open-e is a good alternative).

Yes, it does look like standard in that clip, I agree.