Jim

Do you use the tremolo bar on your Strat?

Do you use the tremolo bar on your Strat?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you use the tremolo bar on your Strat?

• No, I never use it and I removed the tremolo bar.
    • Yes, I use it and I have it floating.
    • Yes, I use it, but I have it non-floating (fixed)
    • I left the tremolo bar on, but I never actually use it.

I originally was going to ask just about strats, but this can apply to many other guitars as well. So, the poll question says strats, but answer for any guitar that applies.

I am just curious as to how many people who have guitars (that can use tremolos) leave their tremolo bars on and how many just never use it and remove it. And if you do use the tremolo, do you use it floating or fixed down on the body of the guitar. Hopefully I'll word the questions so they make sense.

I got a Clapton signature strat, which not only came with the tremolo removed (but included) but it also had the tremolo claw inside the guitar blocked with a piece of wood. Clapton never uses the tremolo, but likes the sound of the strat better with the tremolo hardware in place. Currently, I have the tremolo attached and unblocked and floating and I'm enjoying playing with the sounds I can get - but I'm not sure yet if I'll leave it on or not. I'm also not sure if I will leave it floating, or set it fixed.... I want to compare the tone if the guitar each way.

Here goes!

Jim

Almost never. I have it flat with the top, so it only bends down.

You may not have ever had it floating, but if you did, do you find the Strat has more sustain or a better overall tone with the tremolo flat down with the top (fixed)?

Jim

I have had it floating, blocked and just tightened. Currently it is just tightened. I have not noticed a difference in sustain. The only real difference I notice is if I hit 2 notes and bend one, with a full floating tremolo the non bent note goes a bit flat. I can't live with that, so I tighten the springs so it sits flat.

Yep. Being an amateur woodworker, when I get time, I went to a lot of trouble to shape a piece of hard timber to an absolutely perfectly fit and blocked off the tremelo on my Fernandes Strat. Can't say I noticed any difference in sustain either but it does stay in tune better. Only ever used the tremelo to play the intro to Apache anyway before I knew how to do it without .....

I never used the trem on my Strat, and the arm itself was always stored away in my gigbag where it could do the least damage.

Yeah, that thing with other open notes going flat during a bend is really annoying... I may screw the tremolo back in so it sits flat... I don't know if I want to block it yet or not, although I already have the perfect piece of wood to do it with. ;) It's been a fun experiment messing with the guitar and changing it on my own - which I never felt comfortable doing on the LP - but I have to do what's best for my playing.

Thanks

Jim

Well, I wish I could change my vote, because after a day of playing, my EC strat is now back to the way Clapton designed it - no tremolo and the mechanism is blocked with the piece of wood. I think the tone is fuller, the bar was in my way and everything stays in tune!!! :)

Jim

I rarely even put the arm on! I never had the need for the tremolo bar just due to the stuff I play doesn't require it.

If only I could play Steve Vai then I mite use it!! :)

And I thought the bending-going-flat thing was just poor set-up on my strat copy. Well, I certainly hope the detuning on your guitars isn't as bad as on mine: It's HORRIBLE and worse: most strings STAY flat even if I use it lightly... especially that G-string :(

I voted no, even though I occasionally screw it in on my Stagg X300. That one's a bit more stable. I'm no Steve Vai, but I enjoy making some crazy sounds with the tremolo now and then. Cool with some wah-wah to go with it (Audioslave's "Be Yourself" :thumbup1: )

Hi guys

I use the trem on my strat, but it is set up so that the bridge is flush on the body.

I have an Ibanez with a Floyd Rose that I use for the Satriani tunes I play

i use mine all the time. have you heard of a hendrix song called "third stone from the sun"? its essential for playing that, along with the right effects pedal

Since buying my Strat 3 weeks ago now, I haven't yet put the tremolo bar on. I don't really use it much in my playing anyhow. Had a listen to Lenny by SRV the other day, and was tempted to put on the tremolo bar, but the temptation passed.

Never use mine... It always gets in my way, so the playing sounds really weird because I accidentally touch it when playing. I guess I could learn to not do so, but to me, the effort I'd have to put into that is not worth the effects you can make with it.

Only thing I really like are dive bombs, but I rarely do those anyway.

I messed around with mine once at home. Took it off shortly thereafter. I think it's in the case...not sure. :unsure:

I recently added two more springs so that it now is flat against the body, like Rockerbob said. The sustain is much better and the tone seems a bit, hmmm, Fuller? Not sure how to explain it but I'm pleased with it this way. :thumbup:

It seemed, before, that there was almost a resonance after I hit a note(when I played it unplugged). I think it may have been the springs and the bridge inteacting. Now, unplugged, there is definitely more sustain. Plugged in, It rings really nice and seems to hold notes longer, especially when I'm bending notes.

I think it would be safe to call it a purer tone since I added the springs and it's flush against the body.

I didn't think it would have made that big of a diff, but it did.

Just my opinion and experiences. YMMV!

I am new to the electric guitar. Bought a strat copy and it came with a tremelo arm (in a plastic bag).

I tried too screw it in but I wasn't sure if it was meant to be loose or tight, and every time I screwed it in tight, it always went to the same place (over the volume control, selector switch, and nearly beside the cable plug) so I wasn't sure whether that was right, and thought it would bother me when trying to play. It was sloped down too far it'd hit my legs when playing sitting down.... so I put it back in the bag and haven't taken it out.

The magazine I'm learning with tells you how to use it so I don't know if I will end up screwing it in at one point, or whether I can learn other methods to do the same thing... So i've not voted, but no, I don't use it.

Back it off one turn and just let it swing. (There should be enough friction in the thread to let you position it out of the way until you want to use it)