- - - - -

Making improvization more interesting

4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gcwannab

• Active Members
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 06-April 11

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:00 PM

If you're tired of noodling with just the diatonic chords, here's an idea that seems to work musically and can add color and interest to your playing.
Consider the key of G. Start to incorporate SOME non diatonic chords that contain a G note within the chord such as A7, AbMaj7, C-, Eb, Eb7, Fadd9, G-, D-add11 etc... As long as you work your way back to G or G- via D7 you can retain a key center and create some listenable music. Here are a few simple example progressions that illustrate this concept.

G-, Eb, C-, D7, G-

G, C-, AbMag7, D7, G, C-, A7, D7, G

This is similar to borrowing from the parallel and relative minor keys but still slightly different.

#2 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,247 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:37 AM

Interesting stuff. Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean and how to go about it?

#3 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,053 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:36 AM

gcwannab,
That was interesting. I just tried fooling around with these grips a bit. (grips) a phrase i learned from Rockerbob. I chuckle every-time I think of it.
Thank you for letting me try them out.

Don't have a clue as to the theory but may learn that some day too.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#4 OFFLINE   gcwannab

• Active Members
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 06-April 11

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:33 PM

After looking at sheet music with chord diagrams above the staff I noticed that many songs will borrow chords from other keys without modulating to a different key. The most common out of key chords are secondary dominants, next would be the 7 flat major and 3 flat major from blues harmony. Many Beatles tunes do both of these a lot. Also, you'll notice that most of the time an out of key chord will still have it's root note within the scale key; secondary dominants illustrate this fact very well. An example would be a B7 chord leading to an Em in the key of G. B7 is out of key but the B root is still in G. What out of key chords can we use that aren't secondary dominants or flat7 flat3? I'm thinking chords that still contain the key note somewhere inside them.

In the key of G it's obvious that G is the most important note in the scale since it's the key note, root note, tonic note, home note, whatever you want to call it. But here's the kicker. If I'm composing a song in the key of G and a G note is being sung in a particular place in the song, There's no rule that says I must harmonize that G with a diatonic chord from the G major scale. There are other chords/triads that have a G note in them that are not in the key of G (Gm, Cm, Eb(root not diatonic)). There are many more extended, augmented, and diminished chords that contain a G. Composers can throw in some curve balls to make the music more interesting.

If you're sitting around improvising you can play around with these chords and see how they sound. I've found that to retain a good key center it's best to get back to D7 G when you're throwing these in. Here's some more chords containing a G note outside the key: Fadd9, A7, AbMaj7, Gdim, Gdim7, Bbm add6. As long as the ear hears a G sound in each chord that's out of key it'll still sound like music.

#5 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,247 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:18 AM

Yes, I'm with you. There are so many ways to make music interesting, and that's certainly one of them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users