Sign in to follow this  
ndirish

retired and want to learn to play guitar

ndirish    0

I AM RETIRED AND HAVE DECIDED TO TRY TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY GUITAR. A FEW PROBLEMS, SMALL HANDS AND I AM LEFT HANDED. TRYING TO MESS OR PLAY WITH A GUITAR RIGHT HANDED FEELS TOO STRANGE. ALWAYS HAS. I WAS CONSIDERING A 3/4 LEFT HANDED ACOUSTIC. WENT TO MY LOCAL GUITAR STORE. THEY INFORMED ME, FORGET TRYING TO PLAY LEFT HANDED, NO ONE DOES AND I WOULD BE LIMITED IN CHOICES. ALSO TOLD ME TO FORGET THE 3/4 GUITAR. MOST GUITARS I AM LOOKING AT ARE AROUND 300.00 SO , DO I FORGET THE LEFT HANDED IDEA, WHICH DOES NOT PLEASE ME, AND FOR SOMEONE WITH SMALL HANDS, FORGET THE 3/4 SIZE , AND FINALLY WHAT BRAND GUITAR? THEY PUSHED FENDER AND SOMETHING THAT STARTED WITH AN "I" FORGOT NAME. I HEARD TAYLOR IS GOOD. ANY ADVICE. THANKS

eddiez152    129

Welcome to the forum, and your quest into learning to play the guitar. As to left or right hand, well that can only be your choice.

Food for thought

Most lesson presentations, books, and videos are generally shown for the right hand player meaning left hand positions the fretboard and right hand strums or picks. Thus, if you have never played the guitar before, I would go to a store that has a left hand and right hand guitar available and see how both feel. Try (4) chords positions, something simple like E A D and G

On each guitar then make your choice on which hand gives you the best results, and how it feels. As to quality of guitar, well thats depends on how much you are willing to

invest. Segul, Breedlove, Taylor all good choices.

Edward

ndirish    0

Welcome to the forum, and your quest into learning to play the guitar. As to left or right hand, well that can only be your choice.

Food for thought

Most lesson presentations, books, and videos are generally shown for the right hand player meaning left hand positions the fretboard and right hand strums or picks. Thus, if you have never played the guitar before, I would go to a store that has a left hand and right hand guitar available and see how both feel. Try (4) chords positions, something simple like E A D and G

On each guitar then make your choice on which hand gives you the best results, and how it feels. As to quality of guitar, well thats depends on how much you are willing to

invest. Segul, Breedlove, Taylor all good choices.

Edward

thanks edward, i have to go with what feels normal, for me , thats left hand guitar, regardless of the downfalls of books, i KNOW for sure, that left , for me is correct. thanks for the info on guitar brands.