carol m    64

That is a great arrangement alright - intro, verse, chorus(bridge maybe? I've only listened through once so far) anyway, and a nice outro/ending to finish - it brings out the melody and turns something we hear constantly in various renditions - mostly pretty awful - and turns it into quality music.

It's in fact not about a 'jolly' swagman at all, it's a tale of insurrection, worker's rebellion, betrayal, police corruption and murder. I'll try and track down the 'inside info' on the real events involved and put a link.

Here's the link to the lesson:

Waltzing Mathilda lesson

carol m    64

Here's the link to a historian explaining what he believes were the facts of the case - it seems totally believable to me, but make up your own mind. You'll probably find it interesting whether you believe this version or not.

The Mathilda Myth

carol m    64

I found some things: Mathilda of Flanders was wife of William the Conqueror and a descendant of Charlemagne. That's quite traditional. A quick check shows many refs with Mathilda/Matilda so I suppose it's whatever you feel like. I didn't see a raging argument over it, or even a discussion on the subject. Once again, it's a first for GFB.

Wikepedia says Mathilda is a less common spelling of Matilda.

A names site says

Matilda =

1. English form of the Latin Mathilda meaning 'mighty in battle'

2. Variant of the Scandinavian name Mathilda meaning 'mighty in battle'.

Kirk Lorange    128

I found some things: Mathilda of Flanders was wife of William the Conqueror and a descendant of Charlemagne. That's quite traditional. A quick check shows many refs with Mathilda/Matilda so I suppose it's whatever you feel like. I didn't see a raging argument over it, or even a discussion on the subject. Once again, it's a first for GFB.

Wikepedia says Mathilda is a less common spelling of Matilda.

A names site says

Matilda =

1. English form of the Latin Mathilda meaning 'mighty in battle'

2. Variant of the Scandinavian name Mathilda meaning 'mighty in battle'.

Interesting ...

eskoven    0

Hi Kirk,

Very nice arrangement (again).

Have to definitely agree with your closing remark in your introduction that "music is good for the soul"!

Cheers, Esko :smilinguitar:

Judplay1    0

Hello everyone, I just registered and joined this blog. Where can I find tab or notation to Kirk's arrangement of "Waltzing Matilda"? I think that's a great piece of guitar orchestration, harmony, etc. Would like to start learning that one! Thanks, Judplay1

eskoven    0

Hi Judplay1,

Try the following link;

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/index.php?/topic/25711-waltzing-matilda-remake/

Cheers

Hello everyone, I just registered and joined this blog. Where can I find tab or notation to Kirk's arrangement of "Waltzing Matilda"? I think that's a great piece of guitar orchestration, harmony, etc. Would like to start learning that one! Thanks, Judplay1

Edited by eskoven