lyrics needing a heavy guitar sound

32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   sheraton

• Active Members
  • 1,279 posts
  • Joined 22-August 09

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:37 PM

How'do Johnny :winkthumb: .........hope you're feeling better now dude

what is it you're needing help with.........always happy to help if i can :)

if it's getting vocals down, i would say you might be best to try n get the chorus parts down first, i like the way you had the chorus on your first shot at it, then if you're up for the verses try them on a seperate track, this way you don't have to do a full performance in one take, you can record one chorus at a time (on the same track) and then the same with the verses......if that makes sense....i.e hit record for the first chorus, get that down and stop recording, move the track along to a bar or two before the next chorus, hit record get that one down, then do the same for the verses......

if you need me to post the newer ruff take minus my vocals i can do that ;)

Paul................

#22 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:46 PM

I think the whole problem is my singing !!! lol I messed with it a little this afternoon and its still pretty bad but trying to lay down the idea first and then see what I can do with my horrible vocals .....:dunno: I only did the first two verses and the second one is off beat but just trying to play with it right now. So same warning applies ...... here it is.....

Attached Files

Sometimes I sit and think and sometimes I just sit . Mostly I just sit ..... I think

#23 OFFLINE   sheraton

• Active Members
  • 1,279 posts
  • Joined 22-August 09

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:28 PM

oh Aye Johnny :punk: ..........i like this a lot :yes: .......just needs a wee bit practise to get the timing sorted....
you're a better singer than you give yourself credit......i appreciate it's hard to listen to your own voice initially, i was, (and still am a bit) that way.....but if you sing, then by definition you are a singer :yes: just keep at it and you'll get more comfortable with hearing your voice, and it'll get better too :winkthumb:
you've pretty much nailed the idea i had in mind, you're singin this one for sure :yes: i'll maybe do backin for you...

:rockon:

Paul........

#24 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

Well thanks for words of encouragement but to me it sounds bad. I'll keep working at it tho and see if I can get it decent enough for you to add to it. I did how ever get a little encouragement from my wife also , who by the way has no problem making fun of my singing and she said as much as she would love to make fun of it , it wasn't that bad lol. I'll work on seeing if I can get a better sound and getting the timing down. I'll post as I go so keep checking in and see what you think. Feel free to jump in any time lol.

Take care ...

Johnny
Sometimes I sit and think and sometimes I just sit . Mostly I just sit ..... I think

#25 OFFLINE   sheraton

• Active Members
  • 1,279 posts
  • Joined 22-August 09

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:12 PM

the verse doesn't need too much work, it's got the right feel for me, just the timing of the lines really, chorus maybe needs tweaked to flow from the verse melody better, maybe keep the pitch of your voice as low as poss (in key) and i could add a higher pitch backing vocal over the chorus......

i think it's worth using this ruff backin track for practise just now, when we're happy with the practise take i'll redo the backin track add a bassline etc......

did you record using speakers for playback.....thought i heard a wee bit of audio bleed....the playback track being picked up by the mic.....if so it may be worth trying it with headphones on if possible....gives a cleaner recording...... although it may take some practise to get used to......i generally find headphones on with one side half over the ear let's me hear playback mic'd voice and my voice un mic'd.....not sure of the technical term lol......not sure if your set up allows you to hear what you're recording...i.e if you sing while recording can you hear what you sing through your headphones/speakers

Paul........

#26 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

Okay ill give it a shot . Yes u did hear some audio background i didnt use headphones cause i was just practicing and really didnt expect much from it . So when doing the chorus do you want me to do it with the same style just lower pitch ? Who would have thought id ever be trying to sing lol !

#27 OFFLINE   sheraton

• Active Members
  • 1,279 posts
  • Joined 22-August 09

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:35 PM

Hey Johnny........i'm not sure the chorus will actually be lower pitch, but just keepin the feel of the verse maybe...not sure......just getting the verse chorus to flow like one vocal....if that makes sense.....i know you were just practisin with it and the verse and chorus where recorded seperate, so you know i'm not being critical, just tryin to give you some feedback to help you to pull this one together :winkthumb: .........i'm sure this one can sound real good :yes:
i think you've got a good voice.......given some time and practise and you'll get more confident with it, i think with singin, from your own perspective, you just have to get past that initial cringe factor of hearing yourself, i'm sure most people have that initially, i certainly did, but i'm learning to just get over that self consciousness, and try to sing more confidently.......you will never hear your own voice as others do.....it's like if you have ever been caught on video camera and you hear yourself talk, you think is that how i sound? doesn't even sound like me, but everyone else just hears you as you always sound......

Paul............

#28 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:20 AM

Be as critical as you want paul .... i dont take it the wrong way . i need all the help i can get !!! What i was going for was to try to make the verse sound a little different with that kinda singin into a tin can distortion sound and then trying to make the chorus pop . The problem is getting the chorus to pop ! I need it to be more meaty and gritty but not sure if i can do that ! Im at work and downloaded this from my phone and listened to it thru my headphones and it sounded a whole lot better thru my headphones than thru my speakers at home ..... Why is that ? I really liked the way that first verse sounded thru my head phones !

#29 OFFLINE   sheraton

• Active Members
  • 1,279 posts
  • Joined 22-August 09

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:31 PM

hmmmm not sure depends on you set up........crap speakers and good headphones maybe :dunno: ......lol

i wouldn't worry too much about getting the chorus to pop......if i add a backin vocal to the chorus that should help.....hopefully......also i'd say that "this is not the way it's supposed to be....etc" is kinda like a pre chorus and "i'm burning it burning it burning it down" is the peak??....maybe even double up your vocal on the chorus for a slight lift......in my mind this song really needs the multiple vocal to get the right effect......

Paul..............

#30 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:32 AM

It's good to see how you guys are working on this song - go Johnny!! and you have Paul in your back pocket - can't fail! :punk:
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#31 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:46 AM

Paul, I just listened to your 'heavy riff' - that is one hell-uva backing track - unbelievable! Did you use a digital drum machine? Surely you didn't make the drum track by bashing your kitchen utensils! I'm speechless actually - and that's not easily done. :D
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#32 OFFLINE   sheraton

• Active Members
  • 1,279 posts
  • Joined 22-August 09

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:40 AM

ha ha ha ............cheers Carol....i'd love to say it was pots and pans.....but no it's the built in rhythm guide (drum track) on my Boss 8 track

Johnny ...........i kinda forgot about this one.....and a few others i'm sure lol.......this one needs reviving (? spelling) tho
it's got potential fo shizzle :yes:

i'll see if i get a chance/time to get the feel for it, and try and re record the music track........see if you get a vibe for your vocals :punk:

Paul...............

#33 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:29 PM

Funny you came back to this one cause I was just the other day listening to it too lol and I was thinking we should do something with this !!

Johnny

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users