- - - - -

Best Tools For Songwriting

2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Briandb1222

• Active Members
  • 367 posts
  • Joined 09-January 11

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:10 PM

So far I have found ball joint gel pens to be excellent for writing smoothly. I use notebook paper, my iPhone, and computer when I write.

#2 ONLINE   mattz196

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,518 posts
  • Joined 31-July 06

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

I think a bottle of something to lubricate the mind always helps, care must be taken not spill it on the notebook paper, iPhone, or computer though.
It's kinda embarrassing getting caught with a blue tongue from licking the notebook, not mention danger of electrocution from phone or pc. :winkthumb:
What's Rangoon to you is Grafton to me

#3 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,872 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:38 AM

You've pretty much covered it there Brian, I agree with Matt about the drinking, it may be a useful tool but it's fraught with danger :drinking: I tend to use any bit of paper at hand so I've got stuff scribbled on the back of envelopes, even had stuff written on my hands before, I also use the phone to record a bit of singing or humming into, sounds crap but it gets the idea down, I then type everything up at home. It is easier at home as there are instruments around but if we're out and about the bare essential is a pen, you don't only have to write with it either it's useful for percussion if you have a beat in your head :)
Also don't be afraid to throw stuff away, it takes countless rewrites before a person's happy, the forum's also a tool in a way, family and friends are too, as you can run ideas past people who may think of a better line or a better way to do something.

This is a bit off the question but I suppose the best tool in a way is the world around you and other resources, daily life, media etc. I've found since I've been having a go at songwriting I pick up on things that may have gone over my head previously like a throwaway line in a conversation, it's just general chit chat but sometimes friends or associates come up with a gem of a line without thinking about it, as we do ourselves, all these things act as sources of inspiration and you become more aware of them as you get into songwriting.
You don't stop laughing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop laughing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users