johnmay

roeswood versus mahogany

5 members have voted

1. 1. if a choice were available for the same guitar, everything the same except for back and side material which would you prefer

• solid rosewood back and sides
    • solid mahogony back and sides

johnmay    0

I have my eyes on another guitar and have a choice of solid rosewood back and side or mahogany back and side any opinions and reasons for them welcome .its the new Yamaha that is supposed to be out later this year and if it lives up to the hype I will have one when they arrive. I'mnot quite sure that my ear is up to the challenge especially on a new instrument. ...........Thanks for any insight you can impart.

eddiez152    129

johnny,

I voted rosewood. Each has their own attributes. Rosewood would be brighter and with more ring. Mahogany with sound thicker and warmer. When you hear mahogany think Gibson and punchier sound.

GotDeeBlues    3

I voted mahogany, only because I currently have a Guild A/E CV-1c w/ solid rosewood, and an Yairi dread cutaway acoustic with solid rosewood. Next dread will be spruce/mahogany.

johnmay    0

I voted mahogany, only because I currently have a Guild A/E CV-1c w/ solid rosewood, and an Yairi dread cutaway acoustic with solid rosewood. Next dread will be spruce/mahogany.

clarify if possible .are you sayying that you are dissatisfied with the Guild and Yairi ?

johnmay    0

thanks again .this thing is supposed to be close to a $1000.and to me right now that is a lot of money.but I want a new good quality quitar once in my life and once again it will have to be played and fit will have to be right but so far I have been pleased with this 700 so I am becoming a believer in Yamaha .

GotDeeBlues    3

clarify if possible .are you sayying that you are dissatisfied with the Guild and Yairi ?

No, I like both guitars, but would look for another tone. Although the two are the same spruce/rosewood combination, they sound completely differtent due to their size and designs. The Guild has a very even tone top to bottom, and easy to dial in at the amp, the Yairi is much more bass oriented, but nice voice and projection when played sitting around with a couple friends.

carol m    64

Don't forget the cedar vs spruce top options, with various body tone woods as well. Can you go and try out a few at a music store? That's really the best way to find out what you like, if that's possible. Preference for sound/tone is very individual - also, how comfortable/easy you personally find it to play is also a factor. And of course how it looks.

GotDeeBlues    3

Cedar is a great wood for soundboards. The model johnmay had originally asked about offers Spruce tops so that is why we neglected to go there. But cedar/rosewood and cedar/ovangkohl are nice combinations.

johnmay    0

if cedar was an option I would definately check it out . I like the warm tones and since it has pickups, volume would not be a problem . By the time they arrive in the states I should have the money put back so if it doesn't live up to its promise there is a Gretsch (well thats what what happens when you get old. you forget how to spell)that I have been lusting after for a while for about the same price .

johnmay    0

If you enjoy singing, the mahogany should fit the bill perfectly, but its all a personal choice. Indonesian mahogany is a beautiful tone wood.

I sing much better than I play and it is my first love .