Briandb1222

Amp speaker

Briandb1222    4

The amp I have is very used...but still works great. I want to replace the speaker in it which is just 9 inches...there is no other hardware other than the amp which has leads that run to the speaker. I want to put a pioneer or a better speaker in there then it has in it. I've installed a car system before so this will be noo biggie for me and really anyone could donor with it's setup. Now would this be ok to do? I would think so but I'm not sure if the speaker in an amp is designed differently than traditional speakers.

Sweetpicker    1

For an amp with a 9inch speaker I'm curious as to what model of amp you have. I personally would use the money to buy a better quality amp than buying a higher end speaker. Just my .02. But i hate to answer your question with a question, but why do you feel the speaker needs to get replaced? Is it cracked? Broken?

Briandb1222    4

Nah it just doesn't sound as clear as it could sound. a lot of that has to do with the speaker just like the amp but I figure a higher end speaker would help somewhat. The amp was free and I don't want to spend the money on a new amp right now.

karcey    42

The same considerations apply to buying speakers as apply to buying cheese, shoes, or (dare I say it) guitars. You should try first.

If your current amp is faulty, then a new speaker is going to make it clearer only if it's really the speaker at fault. If the fault is elsewhere, then you're back where you started. So can you test the speaker before you replace it?

If you decide to modify what you have, make sure that the electrical specifications of your new speaker will match your amp.

Many people believe that the most expensive (high end you call it) speakers will please everyone and the cheap ones will please only the deaf. Well think about it for a minute. Everyone hears things differently, So there's no reason we should all gravitate to one particular speaker. That's why we spend so much time deciding what amp to buy in the first place. Features are part of the decision, sound is the rest.

Just as a last thought, I used to sell Hi-Fi. Customers would walk in and ask for advice. I'd always tell them to find some speakers they liked to listen to, then we'd match up an amp to drive them. Most couldn't tell me what sounded good to them until I told them the price. Some even refused to buy speakers they liked best because they thought they were too cheap. I decided then that most people hear best through their wallets.

Let's know how you go.

scotty_b    16

I think you should save your money and buy a better amp when you can. Swapping speakers in and out amps is ok, if you know exactly what you are looking for. Going down this path can just lead to a lot of wasted money.

And I wouldn't recommend a Pioneer speaker, unless it is specifically designed for guitar amps.