20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mattz196

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,533 posts
  • Joined 31-July 06

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:14 PM

Further to a discussion here on arranging Arrange version of

I decided to pick a fairly simple song and one that I know the melody well of, and try and work out a version of just one verse.
Firstly apologies for the rough recording.

Really after any advice re the arrangement side of things , is this version ,not sure what the right word is here valid maybe, is it even recognisable ? Deliberately won't name the song as I reckon if no one can pick its certainly a dud.
My main thoughts would be that it's not so great mainly because I am nowhere close enough to the true melody line, anyone else's thoughts and advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
Matt
What's Rangoon to you is Grafton to me

#2 OFFLINE   Briandb1222

• Active Members
  • 367 posts
  • Joined 09-January 11

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:57 PM

Good picking other than that no comment. Probably a song I've never heard before...or cane to like to really remember it.,.

#3 ONLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:55 AM

I agree, good picking and it's probably a song I don't know, although it maybe sounds a bit familiar - nice tune though.

What I notice most is that your right hand picking/strumming/muting is very similar to Kirk's! :mrgreen:
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#4 OFFLINE   mattz196

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,533 posts
  • Joined 31-July 06

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:32 AM

Thanks Brian

View Postcarol m, on 05 February 2011 - 12:55 AM, said:

What I notice most is that your right hand picking/strumming/muting is very similar to Kirk's! :mrgreen:
Thanks Carol but I think the heats got to you, it might look similar , but it sounds completely different :winkthumb:

I's a very well known tune, so I'm counting you and Brian on "It's a dud" side of my ledger, oh well back to the drawing board :brickwall: :brickwall:

#5 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,020 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:03 AM

I thinks its on the tip of my tongue Mattz
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#6 ONLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:49 AM

View Postmattz196, on 05 February 2011 - 01:32 AM, said:

I's a very well known tune, so I'm counting you and Brian on "It's a dud" side of my ledger, oh well back to the drawing board :brickwall: :brickwall:

Come come Matt! That's what we call in our house 'Very poor attitude!'. :nono:

Even if we didn't recognise it, it's a great tune - you really must try to think more positively (I have my wise old crone hat on for this reply) - but it won't last, I can't be wise for more than 2 mins - jury's still out on the 'crone' bit.
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#7 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:24 AM

Wow Matt!
I have never heard 'Killing Is My Business and Business Is Good' performed in such a sensitive fashion - but I guess if anyone could find the tenderness in that song it would be a gentle man such as yourself.
Certainly on the right track with arranging there - really good job!

#8 OFFLINE   Briandb1222

• Active Members
  • 367 posts
  • Joined 09-January 11

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:46 PM

Yep...never heard that song before.

#9 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,245 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:14 PM

The Weight ...

Nicely done, Matt.

#10 OFFLINE   mattz196

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,533 posts
  • Joined 31-July 06

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:10 PM

View PostKirk Lorange, on 05 February 2011 - 06:14 PM, said:

The Weight ...
The weight is correct in only one sense in that the weight just got substantially heavier on the dud side of the ledger, it has tipper over given the avalanche of entries to that side , and is now suffocating me :laughingg: :laughingg:
It was meant to sound like Crazy Love,I think I better try again .

#11 ONLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:11 PM

There you go, never heard of either of them - and I still think your arrangement sounds great - honest!

#12 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,020 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:16 PM

The weight,
Mattz, I did recognize it, but I am bad at placing names to tunes. Thats the truth.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#13 OFFLINE   mattz196

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,533 posts
  • Joined 31-July 06

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:10 AM

View Postcarol m, on 05 February 2011 - 08:11 PM, said:

There you go, never heard of either of them - and I still think your arrangement sounds great - honest!
Thanks Carol your too kind :smile:

Thought I would post a quick bit of me playing my idea of The Weight maybe the way I play it actually sounds like Crazy Love :laughingg: :laughingg:

Edited by mattz196, 06 February 2011 - 12:31 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   Briandb1222

• Active Members
  • 367 posts
  • Joined 09-January 11

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:53 AM

I think you are right about it sounding close to Crazy Love! Keep trying! Even if it don't really sound like any particular song I say good picking!

#15 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:00 AM

Geez Matt, you certainly set yourself up!
Now I've listened to both these tunes I have to admit I've heard neither before, ever. So I can't offer any comment about whether they were arranged well or otherwise. What I can say though is that I thought they were played nicely, worth listening to. Actually the second one is quite a catchy little tune.
I'll be happy to pass on an opinion about an arrangement but it'll have to be something I know. Like Happy Birthday, or Advance Australia Fair. No, don't do that one ... the people overseas wouldn't recognise it either.
But anyway, do the same mystery game again with a different tune. I think it's fun.
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

#16 ONLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:57 AM

I definitely recognise that one, Matt, and excellent picking too! It is a catchy little tune isn't it?:laughingg:

#17 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,877 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:46 AM

I don't think it's your end Matt, I just played The weight and Crazy Love back to back a few times, maybe I'm hearing things but I thought parts of the songs sound similar, I know the chords are different but Van's Vocal on the first verse sounds like a slowed down version of the weight's first verse etc., just my opinion though, nice playing on these :winkthumb:
You don't stop laughing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop laughing.

#18 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,020 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:43 AM

Mattz,
Boy that second time around was just super. You got something good going on there.

#19 OFFLINE   mattz196

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,533 posts
  • Joined 31-July 06

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:10 AM

Thanks all for the playing compliments, but I'm not giving up just yet with this ear thing :winkthumb: One of the things I find difficult is working out the chord progressions of song and actually knowing that I'm right or way off track .
I picked this song because I know I can't cheat, no tab or chord charts around , I don't want anyone to work it out for just like to know if I'm on the right track ( well maybe a small hint here or there would be ok :innocent: )

I'm hearing from when Boz comes in
Bm///Am///E///D Am

Am I close ?
Thanks in advance.
Matt

#20 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:55 AM

Try E minor instead.
So is that typical of Boz Scaggs? I know nothing about him but his name comes up from time to time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users