carol m

The Thief

carol m    64

I just came across this on my hard drive - I don't think it's a song unless maybe rap, but anyway. The first 2 lines are from a poem I read by Mark Tredinnick which caused the rest to arrive more or less on their own. The rest is all me, so I should be all right from the copyright police (because I've cited the source).

The Thief

Someone's stolen half the books

From the library of the night.

You know you're lost, but still you hope

That everything will turn out right

Someone's cut the telephone line

That tells her how to say

"I love you and I'll never leave"

But still you hope that she will stay

Which bills did I forget to pay?

Which bank is over-drawn?

Which was the very first betrayal

That left her love so tired and worn

Someone stole the colours

I always thought belonged

To everyone who falls in love

Forever, always, and beyond

You worry that there's someone else

That live inside your heart

Who somehow lost the way to know

How even you must play your part

How much have I forgotten?

How much was stolen away?

How does love begin to fail

A little more each day?

Someone picked the pockets

That held my love for you

Now our lives are filled with hate

And I don't know what to do.

Someone stole the dictionary

That told me what to say

To tell you how you fill my life

On each and every day

Someone turned the light off

That used to fill your eyes

Sometimes I think that it was me

When first I started telling lies

Someone's stolen half the books

From the library of the night.

You know you're lost, but still you hope

That everything will turn out right

carol m    64

Really guys?? Can this be a song? You always amaze me, you clever people! Use anything you like, change anything you like etc as always.

I'm totally surprised - I even thought it was stupid to put it in the Songwriting Forum and should have gone in the Chit Chat or Uni Thread. It's all from that single (clever) idea of the guy who wrote the first 2 lines - I just used that idea and applied to a number of 'things' that could be 'stolen' to cause a problem in a relationship. I just continued the metaphor in as many ways I could think of.

Before posting I re-read the original online to check to make sure the rest was all mine - and the original is very far from being a song lyric although it won a poetry competition which was why I even knew about it:

http://www.google.co...Uq6Nz7g&cad=rja

the lines are on the second page of the pdf about a 1/3 of the way down.

hearinvoices    12

I thought i posted on this already but i guess it didnt take . I love these lyrics Carol . If i had more know how i would give it a try, i can hear a melody in my head. Can't wait to hear what people come up with , i think it flows beautiful .

Johnny

carol m    64

Thanks Johnny. If anyone is interested to follow that link to the original, I suggest you copy paste it into Word to get rid of that weird formatting. It's easier to read if it's without those uneven lines - I don't think the version I saw originally was set out like that - if it was I probably wouldn't have read past a few lines. :D

carol m    64

That's great, Chris - I'd forgotten I had even posted these lyrics, so that was a nice surprise. I see/hear you are still in goode voice! Great job on the webcam too. Thanks for changing some words on a page into music - that takes special talent, and sadly one I don't seem to have.

This does inspire me to pick up my sadly neglected acoustic guitar though.

Hope you are all well down there in Cornwall - did it stop raining yet?

starsailor    20

Carol,

This did turn out to be good tune.Starsalior did it justice.

Mike

Thanks for having a listen Mike, hope you're well

That's great, Chris - I'd forgotten I had even posted these lyrics, so that was a nice surprise. I see/hear you are still in goode voice! Great job on the webcam too. Thanks for changing some words on a page into music - that takes special talent, and sadly one I don't seem to have.

This does inspire me to pick up my sadly neglected acoustic guitar though.

Hope you are all well down there in Cornwall - did it stop raining yet?

I'll probably do a recording of this Carol, don't do much now, it's enjoyable just sitting down with the webcam and seeing what happens, I should make a montage of the failed attempts :) I found this song when I was browsing through the site the other day, excellent lyrics, did anyone else do a take on them? Hope you got to play your guitar. It did stop raining here for a couple of weeks but it's back now, it's still pretty cold for the time of year too which is a bit annoying really :)

Cheers

Chris

carol m    64

HI Chris, I did pick up my guitar and it was out of tune. So I tuned it and then something else happened and that was the end of my practice session. I will try to do better tomorrow.

• Like 1