- - - - -

here I go again

16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:24 PM

well here I go again only coming up with partial little sounds. I have had this little ditty in my head for a while and thought I record it to see if any would could help me add to it. I seem to only be able to come up with a few bars and can never make a complete song. Any suggestions would be great but remember I still really don't know names of the chords to well and I mostly wing it lol so you may have to show me what you mean if you have any suggestions .... As usual I did the guitar part and added the drum loop after the fact. It almost matches up tho. Any way here it is...

Attached Files

Sometimes I sit and think and sometimes I just sit . Mostly I just sit ..... I think

#2 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,019 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:26 PM

A little at a time is better than nothing at all. You may want to drop the drum thing its a bit out of time. Chording sounds good. Certainly better that I can do on an electric.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#3 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

Hey Eddie ! Thanks for having a listen. It's short but it's all I have lol. As for the drums .... yea the timing is off it just sounded kinda plain with the guitar only. The drums are just a loop I had on my computer and almost fit it. I recorded the guitar first and the drums were an after thought so I couldn't line it up perfect. Just thought it would kinda give a little extra for any body who listened to maybe spark ideas on where to go with it. :dunno: Do you have ideas on how to expand it ? I recorded it on my acoustic guitar .

Johnny
Sometimes I sit and think and sometimes I just sit . Mostly I just sit ..... I think

#4 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:11 AM

That strumming was really good - much better than I could do. It's very even and the rhythm is tight and regular. I found the drum track a distraction as well, and thought your strumming didn't need it and was good enough on its own.
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#5 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:36 AM

Thanks carol . Been working on some strumming lately . Still a little sloppy when changing chords but working on it . I listened to it some more and u both r right the drums gotta go ! Lol I'll post it without the drums here in a little bit

Johnny

#6 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:45 AM

okay here is just the guitar without the annoying drums lol. any suggestions on how to expand on this would be great. thanks

Johnny

Attached Files

#7 OFFLINE   sheraton

• Active Members
  • 1,278 posts
  • Joined 22-August 09

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:40 PM

:smilinguitar: nice one Johnny.........i get the idea with the drums......guitar playing sounds nice n tight without the drums :thumbup1:

#8 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

thanks Paul. Where do i go from here tho ?:dunno: I would like to make it a full song but not sure where to go with it.

Johnny

#9 OFFLINE   sheraton

• Active Members
  • 1,278 posts
  • Joined 22-August 09

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:33 PM

Hey Johnny........here's a wee idea, nothin fancy.... basic kinda blues progression :smilinguitar:

not sure if i have your guitar part right, but i think you're playing E D A E :dunno:
for second part you could play....A E A B D
depending on the song you could play.....A E x3 then A B D on the 4th to bring you back to the verse
i've just played it A E A B D for now

Attached File  johnny\'s idea.wma   706.42K   11 downloads

Attached File  images2.jpg   3K   0 downloads
Attached File  images3.jpg   2.75K   0 downloads
Attached File  B.jpg   2.74K   0 downloads this is an easier B chord without the Barre
Attached File  D.jpg   2.99K   0 downloads

see what you think

Paul............

#10 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:19 PM

Thats exactly what i'm asking Paul !! Your chords are a little different than mine but close. I like yours better anyway ! i was playing what i think is e minor leaving the g string open. The a and d are the same. Wasn't using the b tho. don't know that one yet lol but I do now. I was using a d power chord only i also held the g string down with it. Then I alternated to the a power chord holding the d string down with it ..... if that makes any sense to you lol ....:dunno: This is exactly the response I was hoping for tho .... Thank you !! Gonna work on what you have here and see if I can do it. I like it a lot . It has what I was looking for !

On a side note my son and I were at guitar center today and they have a Sheraton guitar for sale so I thought I would play it to see what you are working with. I fell in love with that guitar !!!! I will be getting one as soon as I can !

Johnny

#11 OFFLINE   sheraton

• Active Members
  • 1,278 posts
  • Joined 22-August 09

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:26 PM

Hey Johnny....hope you get on ok with this.....keep us posted :smilinguitar:
the E minor is fine...to be honest i don't know exactly what chords i'm playing half the time, as in minor, major, 7th, sus etc....i know the basics
also i played the D power chord on the change/chorus....whatever it is( i think....can't remember now...lol)
just play the chords in whatever position suits....open chords, power chords, barre chords
you can throw in the single notes in place of the chords....if it works

happy pickin/strummin..............i have to say you are one of the quickest learners i've heard...keep it up :thumbup1:

how is Nathan getting on ? is he still practising ? tell him i said Howdy

in my opinion you won't go wrong with a Sheraton......there are cheaper guitars that look similar but (i'd say) can't compare.......i've not played a current one tho.......i've had mine for 13 years or so.....

take it easy dude...........Paul

#12 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:03 AM

Nathan is doing good and says hi back . He hasnt been practicing quite as much now with school going on . He seems to be swamped with homework a lot . I was messing around with what you added and havent quite got it down but i did come up with something similar that was a little easier for me to play . When i get a chance i'll try to record it . I have some lyrics in mind i'm trying to work out so i might have to put u to work on this one lol !

Take care

Johnny

#13 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

well here is a little bit taking from what paul has said and making it a little easier for me to play. Again its just a little 50 sec clip and my fingers were not cooperating very well to its kinda ruff but see what you think and maybe I can put a whole 3 min song together lol. It would be a first for me lol.

Johnny

Attached Files

#14 OFFLINE   sheraton

• Active Members
  • 1,278 posts
  • Joined 22-August 09

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:37 AM

yeah Johnny :winkthumb: keep workin that.....get the rhythm tight and just go for a basic part Ax4 part Bx2(maybe) Ax4 Bx4 Ax4 or something ..just to get used to playing to a certain structure....what could be verse chorus verse chorus etc...

once you have an idea of structure....(just write down what you think, like i have there and follow the structure as you play)
try playing to a click track/metronome....or drum track

Paul............

#15 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

Okay here is a quick go with some drums (that fit lol) Is this what you mean Paul ? Keep in mind this is played on my little cheap $70 dollar Maestro guitar lol. I think it might have been a little outta tune also :no:

Johnny

Attached Files

#16 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,877 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:53 AM

That's a cool arrangement Johnny, nice one, this will make up into an excellent song :rockon:

Cheers

Chris
You don't stop laughing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop laughing.

#17 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:34 AM

Thanks Chris . Im working on maybe being able to play the guitar one day lol. Been teaching myself and taking the advice i get on here and trying to work it all out . Its struggle sometimes but havin fun with it anyhow .

Johnny

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users